• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calisto Protocol's Season Pass Detailed: New Death Animations, Story DLC, New Areas and Game Mode(s)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Season Pass??

For a single player game?

Cant Handle It Cbs GIF by HULU

I learned a hard lesson never to get single player season passes with RE7. The most relevant DLC was free afterward :messenger_loudly_crying:

J3nga

They know shit like this will only spark rage yet they still fucking do it just to make a few dollars.

Last edited:

Neff

If these animations exist on release day then it's rather unsavoury holding them back as DLC. I mean I think the game is more than reasonably priced and I have no qualms about purchasing DLC if it's appealing, but that seems like the kind of thing which really should be included in the initial asking price.

If they have yet to begin work on them, then I can forgive it, even if it's a bit of a weird selling point.

Everything else sounds fairly reasonable.

I learned a hard lesson never to get single player season passes with RE7. The most relevant DLC was free afterward

They did state from the beginning (when you finished the game in fact) that the main DLC would be free. But that's only because it was literally the game's ending and they were too slow to finish it in time for release.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's not really surprising. Loads of games do that. Just mean you get all the expansions, or it's called something else?

Season passes as far as I know are treadmills to unlock cosmetics/content, or you can flat out buy it.
It’s soon replaced by a new season pass of more content, and it repeats.

If it’s a one and done expansion, then I think the developer would be wise to call it that. Unless I’m the only one who views Season Passes to be different than an expansion or traditional DLC?

drotahorror

I think I’m just playing the right games.

I honestly can’t think of any single player only games I have, that have a season pass.

ld1YI2R.jpg

fSPycmN.jpg

tjoTZvQ.jpg

aP80lci.jpg

Plenty of other games out there I'm sure, just ones off the top of my head that I knew either had expansion / more content. Those season passes included all content available for the game afaik.

It's just semantics.

As for the animations, that is some dumb shit unless it is new enemies that are doing the new animations that are only part of the DLC. A difficulty locked behind a paywall is not excusable.

Last edited:

CuNi

"Season pass" is most likely in todays GaaS world a word people mistake with Battlepass.
I don't see anything bad with being able to purchase all future DLC at once for reduced pricing. Did this with Dark Souls 3 too.

Edit: To clarify, I approve of DLC and Season Passes for SP games mostly in terms of additional Story, new Areas etc.
I hate shit like "Cosmetic Packs" etc. from the depths of my soul.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm all for dlc that adds new story and areas to explore. I would definitely not buy an "additional death animations" dlc pack. They must be pretty proud of their deaths though!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
ld1YI2R.jpg

fSPycmN.jpg

tjoTZvQ.jpg

aP80lci.jpg

Plenty of other games out there I'm sure, just ones off the top of my head that I knew either had expansion / more content. Those season passes included all content available for the game afaik.

It's just semantics.

As for the animations, that is some dumb shit unless it is new enemies that are doing the new animations that are only part of the DLC. A difficulty locked behind a paywall is not excusable.

Yeah, you’re right. I guess when I think Season Pass, I think of a recurring thing like in Fortnite.

Thief1987

"Season pass" is most likely in todays GaaS world a word people mistake with Battlepass.
I don't see anything bad with being able to purchase all future DLC at once for reduced pricing. Did this with Dark Souls 3 too.

Edit: To clarify, I approve of DLC and Season Passes for SP games mostly in terms of additional Story, new Areas etc.
I hate shit like "Cosmetic Packs" etc. from the depths of my soul.
The thing is there is only one story DLC, and other additions look like things that they are barely scraped to sell as a "season pass".
Nothing wrong with the season passes if it's like From Software or Team Ninja doing them.

Plenty of reasonable looking takes in here as usual… Quite a few single player games have season passes, Doom Eternal (had 2 DLC expansions), Assassins Creed usually has a shit season pass attached to it and I don’t see anyone complaining about those.

Animations being locked behind a paywall isn’t ideal but whatever, it’s not like not having them will negatively impact the experience.

deeptech

out of their mind with arrogance and cockiness, not that it will make a difference since fuckwits will buy anyway

peronmls

I must say to people excited for this game like me... There are so many other games out there. Just play these devs at there own game and wait for it to be on sale with everything included. You can always buy it later, cheaper and with everything. Just be patient. I'm sure we all have backlogs. Screw these guys.

drotahorror

How can a game that looks like a massive W announce a season pass. Fucking hell what year is it?

A season pass with story/expansions is not unheard of at all, and usually pretty welcome for single player games. Some games have some great expansions/added content, some don't obviously.

This season pass in particular looks a bit uninteresting. A horde mode, a new difficulty, and one new zone. I'm sure the new zone will be welcome but the other 2 are scams to include. Also animations are uninteresting, as cool as they may be. Most people will not see all these death animations they're touting. They should have focused more on the death animations for the enemies, gore, blood, decals, wounds imo.

Also this one in particular is stupid:

Contagion Bundle: Discover the ultimate survival horror experience with a new mode, Contagion. With reduced ammo and health drops, a customized difficulty and permadeath – there are no second chances to escape Black Iron Prison or the horrors lurking beneath the surface of Callisto. The Contagion Bundle also includes thirteen new Jacob death animations and the Watchtower Skin Collection.

So they've added 13 new death animations for a DLC that offers a permadeath mode? Seems completely the opposite of what I would want in a mode where I'm focused on not dying.

GymWolf

Not supporting scummy practices like this. Death animations and game modes in a fucking season pass? It's like when Capcom sold the RE2 original soundtrack for the remake when it should be included in the game. Meanwhile you have games like GoW Ragnarok and Elden Ring that's a complete package from the get go with no mtx or content ripped from the game. I'll buy Callisto when there is a complete edition available or if it's on heavy discount. What a disappointment.
Yeah the re2 remake ost dlc was fucking bad, i can't trust capcom after that shit they pulled off.

Prepare for some other scummy shit in re4 remake.

Mr Hyde

Yeah the re2 remake ost dlc was fucking bad, i can't trust capcom after that shit they pulled off.

Prepare for some other scummy shit in re4 remake.

Yeah, I remember being so disappointed by that. Knocked some of the excitement off the game. Village had some shit mtx too, but not nearly as offensive as RE2. Capcom can be so shit sometimes, and then they redeem themselves by putting out fantastic games. If they fuck up RE4 I'll never forgive them. Looks awesome so far, so fingers crossed.

They deserve to get absolutely dragged through the mud for this. Terrible, terrible approach. A season pass for a single player game that locks animations behind a paywall? Disrespectful

tommib

Yeah, I remember being so disappointed by that. Knocked some of the excitement off the game. Village had some shit mtx too, but not nearly as offensive as RE2. Capcom can be so shit sometimes, and then they redeem themselves by putting out fantastic games. If they fuck up RE4 I'll never forgive them. Looks awesome so far, so fingers crossed.
They're probably going to gatekeep the original soundtrack behind DLC. And I'll pay for it because RE4 has the best save room theme ever created in the history of mankind:

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Weird thing to boycott a game over. It's completely optional. I'll wait for the reviews on the quality of the additional story content before purchasing the dlc but I'm not denying myself playing this game which is right up my alley in many ways.

Shoulder Shrug GIF

Last edited:

Dthomp

This game was a must buy but I'll hold on into buying until I get a complete edition since I'm in no hurry to get it as I play my backlog.

This is my new take on it too, bought a bunch of BF deal stuff to add to a never ending backlog, but I was gonna put that all on hold for this game but screw that. I'll wait for a deep sale or GOTY edition. It's one thing to add stuff later to a single player game but to pay for what is likely already not fully complete (since nothing is anymore) and then be expected to pay more for a season pass for something that has no history behind it is absurd.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I must say to people excited for this game like me... There are so many other games out there. Just play these devs at there own game and wait for it to be on sale with everything included. You can always buy it later, cheaper and with everything. Just be patient. I'm sure we all have backlogs. Screw these guys.
whatever-southpark.gif

Mr Hyde

They're probably going to gatekeep the original soundtrack behind DLC. And I'll pay for it because RE4 has the best save room theme ever created in the history of mankind:

Most likely. And of course we're gonna pay for it, what else is there to do if you want the OG experience. Should still be in the game for free. But Capcom is gonna Capcom so 🤷

R6Rider

Gold Member
Damage is already done. They shouldn't have even mentioned the Season Pass until after release and made it clear what it would include.

No surprise IGN jumping to do a negative article.

Power Pro

They know shit like this will only spark rage yet they still fucking do it just to make a few dollars.
They always want to test how far they can push the limit, and still get away with it. If people still buy it and they make tons of money, then it's working as intended, and they'll keep doing it. If it doesn't sell well, they still won't get the message. They'll take that to mean "oh, people don't want these type of games I guess", so either way, we lose. We are at the mercy of these greedy practices.

Top Bottom