• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu |OT| I'll see you in my dreams

GrayChild

qkGkJfp.png

39TyJEl.jpg

Platforms: PS4, XONE, PC
Release date: 30/10/2018
Genre: Investigation/RPG/Survival Horror
Developer: Cyanide Studio
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive​

Synopsis:​

Plunge into Cyanide Studio’s Call of Cthulhu, the official adaptation of Chaosium’s classic pen and paper RPG. Uncover the chilling mysteries of this RPG-investigation game, descending deep into a world of cosmic horrors, creeping madness and shrouded Old Gods within Lovecraft’s iconic universe.​

Private Investigator Edward Pierce is sent to investigate the tragic death of the Hawkins family in an imposing mansion on the isolated Darkwater Island, off the shores of Boston. Between unfriendly locals and dubious police reports, it becomes clear there’s more to the case than meets the eye. Soon enough, Pierce is plunged into a terrifying world of conspiracies, cultists, and cosmic horrors.​

Faced with terrors beyond human comprehension, you must delve deep into the secrets that lay beneath the surface of the Darkwater Island community. Speak with the island’s inhabitants, overcome deadly horrors and discover cryptic clues, in a desperate attempt to expose the terrible truth at the heart of the Hawkins case.​

Multiple paths lay ahead for you to choose from – your development of Pierce’s skills and the relationships you have with other characters will directly impact how you proceed in your investigation. This is no easy task, as certain events may cause Pierce to develop mental traumas that impact his ability to cope, while the descent into the occult will cause his sanity to rapidly dwindle.​

Your mind will suffer - balancing a razor-thin line between sanity and madness, your senses will be disrupted until he questions the reality of everything around you. Trust no one. Creeping shadows hide lurking figures… and all the while, the Great Dreamer prepares for his awakening.​

Gallery:​

3rNf1N2.jpg

ExfGpSM.jpg

KSNbuvR.jpg

KYNNuN2.jpg
p7fyPmx.jpg

qCoZdpY.jpg

iVP3I4D.jpg

Nl3gX8Z.jpg
WoGr6lp.jpg

aMj7ihP.jpg

Trailers:​

7edc6f5e5258f1e5e39b76b09df99e69.jpg

Last edited:

thief183

I'll be honest, I'm quite hyped for this, maybe I'm just hooping for a new more polished Dark Corners, still, I'm in a total blackout about the game so I dunno, is it going to be an adventure?

GrayChild

I'll be honest, I'm quite hyped for this, maybe I'm just hooping for a new more polished Dark Corners, still, I'm in a total blackout about the game so I dunno, is it going to be an adventure?

A mix of Outlast hide-and-seek gameplay and exploration/walking sim with some RPG mechanics thrown in. The game is quite puzzle-heavy, and each puzzle can be solved in different ways depending on the strengths and weaknesses of your character.

Focus have released the first hour of the game. Keep in mind it's quite slow:

It shows the first three chapters. According to the people who played through the whole game, there are

chapters in total.

Isa

Nice OT, really looking forward to exploring this game. Could be a neat little sleeper hit.

I've had that on my backlog for so long. I may try playing it Halloween night.

This looks great. Just from the visual style, I think it captures one of the key parts of Lovecraft (unreliable narrator) very well. A ton of Lovecraft is recounting of experiences from people who have already been driven insane or otherwise impacted by their story. The Rats in the Walls, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, At the Mountains of Madness, etc.

plushyp

I am in need of some psychological horror in my non-existent gaming life. Kind of wish we could fight in a limited capacity though. Playing hide and seek gets kind of tiring after a while.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
I never mentioned the gameplay similarities (although there are a lot). Both games are quite unpolished and rushed to release, although both do more right than wrong.

Heh, I actually think that Dark Corners of the Earth is a much better game.

The new Call of Cthulhu is quite a mess under a lot of aspects, regardless of being polished or not.

I'd never place them on the same level.

Last edited:

mekes

Just bought this in the (early) January sale on PSN. I was on the fence at release but with I think it was 50% off, I didn’t hesitate. I’m a few hours in and enjoying the pace and world building. It is a little rough around the edges but I think overall it carries a lot of charm so far. First impressions are very good.

MayauMiao

Heh, I actually think that Dark Corners of the Earth is a much better game.

The new Call of Cthulhu is quite a mess under a lot of aspects, regardless of being polished or not.

I'd never place them on the same level.

Dark Corners had shit interface, clunky control and poor gameplay but I really love the atmosphere of the game, dark and gritty while everyone around you looked like ready to eat your brain.

Not sure if the new one holds the same creep factor as DCotE.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

xrnzaaas

The game was really enjoyable despite the very apparent low budget which made the facial animations and "action scenes" look bad. The atmosphere is there, it's my second favorite Cthulhu game after Dark Corners of the Earth. Definitely better than Sinking City despite that game having more actual gameplay and bigger budget.

Top Bottom