• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty franchise loses over 50 million players in a year

Gudji

nervous project runway GIF

LordCBH

Well it’s no surprise considering Vanguard was an utter dumpster fire of a game. Cold War was pretty sick, and they follow up with the literal worst entry in the series.

Jaybe

Strange this information gets released right as people speak up about how valuable CoD is with MS buying the company that's owns the IP 🤔🤔🤔🧐🤣
Yup. Follow the money. Bobby wants this acquisition deal done ASAP and helping with the narrative. If the deal fails to pass, ABK stock is going to get absolutely hammered.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, there's nothing more comforting when spending 70 billion on a publisher than losing a third of its major franchise player base, with overall net revenue down 46% YoY.

Masterclass in market timing there.

Then no one should have an issue with the deal going through right ? :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The deal going through has nothing to do with the revenue they just released. Bad results are bad, no need to constantly damage control everything.

Damage control would be saying none of our studios can come anywhere close to a franchise which lost 50m players.

I'm just saying no one should have any issues letting a failing franchises' deal go through :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What has happened in the last year to warrant this?
This don't make sense.
A few mill I can see yeah, you can blame that on fatigue
but 50mil in a year?
I wonder what happened 🤔

anthraticus

Banned
Was expecting this to happen years ago with CoD already having run it's course by then, but the average modern gamer standards are basically non existent.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s a lot of people jumping ship. Will be interesting to see if they’ll be able to re-gain players with the upcoming game.

Rivet

Tough times for FPS franchises with CoD losing 50 million players, Battlefield 2042 fiasco and Halo Infinite which was supposed to last 10 years and couldn't keep people playing more than a few months...

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Was expecting this to happen years ago with CoD already having run it's course by then, but the average modern gamer standards are basically non existent.
Covid bump is gone combined with Vanguard being a poor CoD.

It's not like Activision is seeing this decline in a bubble, almost all home based entertainment is going through a massive drop right now.

fermcr

I've said it several times and say it again... Activision/Blizzard aren't worth the money Microsoft are paying for them. 70 billion is way too much ...

I've said it several times and say it again... Activision/Blizzard aren't worth the money Microsoft are paying for them. 70 billion is way too much ...
I know they regret getting involved with this situation but owning the Call of Duty IP is worth it.

COD alone could make that money back over time and they need a big catalog of games and IP to pad out the game pass library

Last edited:

anothertech

95 million players?

They lost more players than most games have ever had.........yet still have more players the most games could wish for.

Call of Duty officially dead.
MS bought a frikken dead horse and now they are fucked.
STOP THE COUNT!!!!!!
Oh they'll stop the count.

Once the deal is done, CoD sales numbers will fade to the ether, along with the rest of Xbox sales info...

//DEVIL//

Strange this information gets released right as people speak up about how valuable CoD is with MS buying the company that's owns the IP 🤔🤔🤔🧐🤣
truth to be told. Vanguard is shit. rushed during covid development. boring gameplay and boring guns.

I still play it, but I am ditching this game the second MW2 is out.

Unknown?

Hmmm probably shouldn't have wrapped most of your developers into that. It's stupid to put all of your eggs in one basket.

EDMIX

?

Wasnt the point of this thread and completly missing the issue

Loosing that many numbers is not good no matter how you spin it

are you damage controling here or something like that?

Celebrating or brag about that is not something to be proud of either tasking 3 studios churning the same game every year a clear signs of creative bankrupt

I greatly disagree in this situation there is an actual logical legitimate response that can minimize what's being talked about or nullify it or make it completely moot or irrelevant.

So to say something like losing that many numbers is not good I first need to know a few things.

1. Is this regarding a multiplayer or single player property?

2. Is there a factual expectation for that number to remain the same and not drop ever?

3. What was the player base before the year prior and did they have a drop similar to this when new entries get revealed , announced etc

I think you need to actually factor that if they lost 50 million it's because they had an extremely large number to lose that much in the first place ie easy come easy go.

So no disrespect air but it would be as stupid as fucking trying to tell me some billionaire just lost 100 million dollars and we should be worried but if the man is known to fucking make billions for all we know the concept of losing 100 million and gaining 500 million is fucking nothing to this person....

So I respectfully disagree losing that many numbers really generally depends on the context of what the fuck we're talking about and you need to get a lot of information to understand if this is a big deal or Nothing at All.

Stop getting caught up in this stupid sensationalist bullshit of trying to fucking repeat a number for attention.... so this is not a situation of no matter how you spin it this is 100% a situation based on contexts where yes....... there might actually be an explanation behind this that argues it might either be normal or it might be nothing to this property to gain or lose this much on a yearly period so I simply need enough information to gather if this is something massively detrimental or unnormal situation for them.

So I would argue to even be able to have such a ridiculous base where losing 50 million is a normal fucking thing before breaking a shitload of Records is a testament to how great that property even is what other fucking property do you know of that's the losing 50 million every other year or something only to then gain some different base back? So everybody not playing that World War II Call of Duty will simply just buy the other Modern Warfare sequel. Don't delude yourself with this idea that this is some beginning sign of some big flop or something because I need way more information to tell me this is either unheard of or the property is on its last legs to be starting any type of sensationalist Celebration for Forum banter.

I say this as somebody who doesn't even currently play this property, I simply despise this weird sensationalist narrative of trying to run with a number with no context...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Dont care. Why would any gamer care.

Modern warfare 2 looks dope. Shame its not on gamepass yet.

Menzies

Banned
I wonder if Microsoft sees a positive in this series eventual decline?

CoD is committed to multi-platform releases. The next thing though?

They've secured a lot of talent, which can go on to making the next big thing, which will not bound by regulatory constraints and make it exclusive.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Pretty disingenuous, if we compare the same time June 21 to June 2022 it's down from 127 million to 94million..

Oh jeez 94million how will Activision cope... It's only like one of the most played games currently....

Salz01

What has happened in the last year to warrant this?
This don't make sense.
A few mill I can see yeah, you can blame that on fatigue
but 50mil in a year?
I wonder what happened
Vanguard.

Crap boring campaign story.
MP doesn’t feel as good as Cold War
Graphics not as good as Cold War
Introduction of Caldera was a clusterfuck, buggy, sever lag, fucking Krampus….
Battlepasses are shit. Seriously haven’t bought anything (but that’s just me )
Zombies feels half assed, they still haven’t fleshed it out . Pun intended.
The constant tweaking of gun nerfs….
The characters are all dopes, besides Snoop skin….
Warzone still a seperate download, that constantly needs huge patches to update and take up space…
The whole fucking package is already over 100gig compared to Fortnite that’s like 28 gig…
Quick scoping is still a thing…

Im sure im missing something.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I think you need to actually factor that if they lost 50 million it's because they had an extremely large number to lose that much in the first place ie easy come easy go.

So no disrespect air but it would be as stupid as fucking trying to tell me some billionaire just lost 100 million dollars and we should be worried but if the man is known to fucking make billions for all we know the concept of losing 100 million and gaining 500 million is fucking nothing to this person....

there might actually be an explanation behind this that argues it might either be normal or it might be nothing to this property to gain or lose this much on a yearly period so I simply need enough information to gather if this is something massively detrimental or unnormal situation for them.

So I would argue to even be able to have such a ridiculous base where losing 50 million is a normal fucking thing before breaking a shitload of Records is a testament to how great that property even is what other fucking property do you know of that's the losing 50 million every other year or something only to then gain some different base back? So everybody not playing that World War II Call of Duty will simply just buy the other Modern Warfare sequel. Don't delude yourself with this idea that this is some beginning sign of some big flop or something because I need way more information to tell me this is either unheard of or the property is on its last legs to be starting any type of sensationalist Celebration for Forum banter.

I say this as somebody who doesn't even currently play this property, I simply despise this weird sensationalist narrative of trying to run with a number with no context...
Theres nothing sensationalist

It is what it is (losing 50 m)

No need for you to make this complicated

Your interpretation is just another "what-if-buts' asumptions other users did here

Last edited:

GenericUser

Hardcore SBMM
Boring/Bad maps
Woke gargabe left and right
2nd World War Setting
Little to no Innovation (we don't even get new multiplayer perks anymore)
Catering to the eSports "crowd"

I wonder why people don't like CoD anymore.... I really do.

Top Bottom