• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty franchise loses over 50 million players in a year

EDMIX

Theres nothing sensationalist

It is what it is (losing 50 m)

No need for you to make this complicated

Your interpretation is just another "what-if-buts' asumptions other users did here

I disagree.

Someone needs to put context into all of this. Nothing I'm saying is simply a "assumption", they are logical reasons why that 50 million number may not really be a massive thing to them depending on how normal this is when going into a new COD title. Unless I have that information on turn over or how long that base sticks around, its trying to reach to something that may be normal for this publisher. That could very well be why they put out titles yearly, as to move on from one base and bring in a new base of users ie someone not liking COD Vanguard, will just buy COD MW.

or even this.

So....I think its logical we look at the bigger picture vs scream out a number. I don't know how relevant that 50 million is to a base this fucking massive.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I disagree.

Someone needs to put context into all of this. Nothing I'm saying is simply a "assumption", they are logical reasons why that 50 million number may not really be a massive thing to them depending on how normal this is when going into a new COD title. Unless I have that information on turn over or how long that base sticks around, its trying to reach to something that may be normal for this publisher. That could very well be why they put out titles yearly, as to move on from one base and bring in a new base of users ie someone not liking COD Vanguard, will just buy COD MW.

or even this.

So....I think its logical we look at the bigger picture vs scream out a number. I don't know how relevant that 50 million is to a base this fucking massive.
tbh theres really no need for you to damage control over something like this. ( has nothing to do with your own interest either if activision lose money)

"don't know how relevant that 50 million is to a base this fucking massive" .

you were already given the clear look by 50 m theyre losing aproximate 1/3 player period.

no need for another whataboutism here.....what..if...the big picture...how about...wait until you....etc...

have a nice day

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You prefer games dying?
If it needs to even vaguely copy the Fortnite model to keep players, it’s already braindead and needs the plug pulled to kill it in mercy.

There are other ways to create and sustain engagement. The “seasons+dlc packs” model is a very recent trend, one the world would have done better without.

To take just one counter example, the Splatoon series never relied on that nonsense. They had community events, themed battles, free expansions, or significant paid expansions that were major additions rather than skin-of-the-week or mom I need the credit card to buy a retarded victory dance.

I used to enjoy Rocket League a few years ago, but it has gone down the same trash road chasing adolescent cash now. No thanks, any franchise doing that is dead.

Last edited:

Maybe those 50 million players who left didn't want to download 150 GB of each COD game every year. And if you and your friends want to play multiple, different COD games on your system, God help you!

Deerock71

This will lure them back:

You know...this could be the ultimate asymmetrical 2 player game. UE5 could fuel it. Protect John Connor. Be nearly invincible. Kill John Connor. Be nearly ANYONE.

EDIT- I wish I hadn't said that out loud.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Didn't this same sort of thing happen in the 2010's, and they just sort of put it on hold for a bit and worked on one title at a time then slowly built their base back up?

Kagey K

Banned
Oof imagine being able to lose 50m players, and shrug it off.

They still had almost the same bottom line (or better) as most gaming companies in this quarter.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I think the amount of storage the games take up is one reason why.
They take up 100+GB it's insane.

& Vanguard, I think myself and everyone else is sick of ww2 games at this point.

Last edited:

EDMIX

tbh theres really no need for you to damage control over something like this. ( has nothing to do with your own interest either if activision lose money)

?

I don't own the company and I don't play this series. So....yea. You seem to just think any fucking comment MUUUUUST be in defense of this or that as if no one can fucking disagree with you or something without some secret agenda or something lol I have no dog in this fight sir, I own no stock in this company, I don't play this IP or anything of the sort. I'm 100% positive its feasible for someone to disagree with you without the need of any of that lol

you were already given the clear look by 50 m theyre losing aproximate 1/3 player period.

and? Its hard to see how that might hurt them if we then find out such a thing is a normal thing before a new COD comes out. Many on here literally stated they dislike Vanguard, but will buy the next COD that will be MW2...

I think the amount of storage the games take up is one reason why.
They take up 100+GB it's insane.

& Vanguard, I think myself and everyone else is sick of ww2 games at this point.

lol I wouldn't be shocked if it really was this simple. For all we know the yearly turn over before a new COD is about this much anyway. With how MP titles are in terms of always having to be relevant, I just don't see some massive base staying with 1 game for years and years and years. I always expected the vast majority play for those months, move on and then return for a new COD release.

kirby007

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

kotick rn

Airbus Jr

Banned
?

I don't own the company and I don't play this series. So....yea. You seem to just think any fucking comment MUUUUUST be in defense of this or that as if no one can fucking disagree with you or something without some secret agenda or something lol I have no dog in this fight sir, I own no stock in this company, I don't play this IP or anything of the sort. I'm 100% positive its feasible for someone to disagree with you without the need of any of that lol
Animated GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
when modern warfare 2 comes out they will be back. just have to see how good the game is though

Last edited:

Kupfer

This will lure them back:

What a shitshow.
Warzone was fun the first two or three seasons. Skins where military'esque, weapons looked like weapons.

Give me a Warzone
  • w/o perks
  • w/o clownskins
  • w/o clownguns / unrealistic weapon modifications
  • w/o HUD
  • w/o kevlar, which applies to the whole body
  • w/o unlimited stamina
  • with realistic TTK
and I'm probably in again.

Nocturno999

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

kotick rn
I don't think they are pleased right now. These lizards will never have enough $.

Diablo Immortal is giving them a nice boost of cash, but even more horrendous PR.

ActiBlizzard is generally on a steady decline.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the answer for a lot of them was "nowhere". As in, they were teenagers when COD4 came out, they're closing in on 30, and it's just time to hang it up. We already went through COD4 Remastered for the nostalgia hit and they didn't even bother doing MW2's MP again.
Yup.

Me and my buddies used to play the shit out of COD4 and MW2 after school.

Now we've all got kids and demanding careers.

I don't think I could ever go back to COD multiplayer. Full of 10 year olds who play 40 hours a week.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Failing franchise may be too harsh, but losing 50 million players in 1 year is certainly a rare "achievement".
Thats cuz having 150 million players at all is a rare achievement.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What a shitshow.
Warzone was fun the first two or three seasons. Skins where military'esque, weapons looked like weapons.

Give me a Warzone
  • w/o perks
  • w/o clownskins
  • w/o clownguns / unrealistic weapon modifications
  • w/o HUD
  • w/o kevlar, which applies to the whole body
  • w/o unlimited stamina
  • with realistic TTK
and I'm probably in again.
The game you are describing is not Call of Duty.

P.S Wasnt there a barebones/hardcore Warzone playlist?

bbeach123

Since warzone my friends doesnt pm me to play the yearly cod anymore .

Back then its like a tradition to buy the newest COD , play for a month or two then quit .

Nowaday with 24/7/12 warzone my group doesnt have any reason to buy it anymore .

M16

Kind of a sad way for people to shit on CoD. Tell me who didn't lose players since last year. Everyone was sitting at home because of lockdowns.

wipeout364

Vanguard was broken at launch and the reality is Activision knew this and let it limp along with very poor support likely moving most of the team to warzone 2 and MW2. You can see the lack of support just in the way content drops are minimal and announcements are nonexistent for a franchise that essentially defines Activision

Vanguard is visually bankrupt game. The art design is terrible and the characters look awful. Honestly the skins they have put up for sale are complete garbage. They need to get back to appealing to their core demographic of males who want to see cool looking characters and hot women in the game.

Vanguard also launched with issues with gameplay, matchmaking and generally terrible map design. They made a huge mistake allowing variable numbers of players on the maps that created a terrible experience of having too few players on some maps and too many on others as the map size was all over the place.

The audience drop is to be expected. They will be back for MW2 and Warzone 2. Hopefully this will have been an important lesson for Activision. To not let untalented studios blemish their golden goose, to refocus on what COD players want for gameplay, bring back good looking characters and skins. Disband sledgehammer Or make them a support studio. They have had three kicks at the can and all are c tier COD games.

yazenov

Kind of a sad way for people to shit on CoD. Tell me who didn't lose players since last year. Everyone was sitting at home because of lockdowns.

While true that games benefited from the Covid bump last year, both Vanguard and the latest Battlefield both under preformed due to their quality, as in lack of it I mean . Didnt you see the reviews? They're a shit show.

Game quality also plays a huge factor in retention. Its understandable that people are showing signs of franchise fatigue since they are doing the same shit every year without innovation or changing up the game formula.

Codes 208

Well this is what happens when you:
-go back to the overplayed ww2 setting
-ignore just about everything that MW’19 and even BOCW did to help revitalize their series
-release alongside two other massive shooters aiming for the same cut (halo and BF, the former of which going f2p)

Ive seen and heard of a lot if excitement regarding the new MW2 so thats good i suppose

TheKratos

"Bbbut they still have 94million", get outta here. They lost 33% of their playerbase IN A YEAR, who says they won't lose another 50million soon? No investor would be happy with these numbers. But then again, Microsoft is buying them anyway.

EDMIX

They lost 33% of their playerbase IN A YEAR, who says they won't lose another 50million soon?

The last year, how much did the lose?

With MP gaming, I just don't buy that they just normally keep 100%, that sounds more strange then anything. So unless we know what that yearly turnover is for some COD, its hard to gauge what any of this means for them.

For all we know losing this much and gaining it back is a normal cycle for them. Does anyone have that data to show what they lose yearly in term of some fluctuation before a new title reveal / release?

truth to be told. Vanguard is shit. rushed during covid development. boring gameplay and boring guns.

I still play it, but I am ditching this game the second MW2 is out.
Gameplay and guns are fine, it's gotta be the matchmaking that's horrible. When searching for a regular 6v6 pub I've still been thrown in to other large player games. They need to go back to regular map voting and no wide-net game searches.

Top Bottom