• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 UK launch sales are up 92% over Vanguard | UK Monthly Charts

reksveks

2.83m games were sold in the UK last month, up 11.2% over the year before.

According to GSD data, 1.75 million of those games were sold via digital download stores, which is a rise of nearly 36% year-on-year. However, just short of 1.1m games were sold via physical retailers, which is a drop of 14% over October 2021.
The success is all down to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. The Activision Blizzard shooter was an October release this year, whereas last year's title, Call of Duty: Vanguard, launched in November.
Even so, it was a significantly improved performance for the franchise. Modern Warfare 2's opening week sales are almost 92% higher than what Vanguard managed.

57% of sales came on PlayStation formats (42% on PS5), with nearly 33% on the Xbox platforms and nearly 11% on PC.

Also helping the market to grow was FIFA 23, which enjoyed a better October than FIFA 22 managed last year, with sales up nearly 6%.
Also new this month is Gotham Knights, which manages No.3 in the charts. The title's sales after two weeks are very slightly ahead of what last year's Guardians of the Galaxy managed over the same period.
Next on the new release charts is Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope at No.5. The game's launch isn't as strong as what its predecessor managed back in 2017, although as the only major Mario game to launch this Christmas, we should expect the title to stick around over the next month.
Elsewhere, PGA Tour 2K23 debuts at No.7, Persona 5 Royal comes in at No.14, and Bayonetta 3 debuts at No.15. Also new and from Japan is Dragon Ball: The Breakers, which makes No.19.

PS5 narrowly holds off Xbox Series X and S

Console hardware sales dipped very slightly in the UK in October compared with the month before, according to the latest GfK figures.

Just under 175,000 units were sold last month (GfK panel data), which is a drop of 1%.

This was mainly due to a marginal drop in sales for the PS5, with sales down 6% compared with September. Sony's console very (very) narrowly remained the No.1 platform, with sales of the Xbox Series X and S family of consoles just behind it. Microsoft sold roughly the same number of Xbox Series consoles in October as it did in September. Nintendo Switch is still in third position, although sales did rise slightly in October, up 5% month-on-month. Nintendo Switch has now overtaken Xbox One in terms of all-time console sales in the UK, and is closing in on PlayStation 3.

For the year-to-date, there is just 40,000 console sales separating Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 5.

Over in the land of accessories and peripherals, 669,029 add-on products were sold in the UK during October, GfK figures show. This is a drop of 9% month-on-month and down 7.5% year-on-year.
The market continues to be dominated by sales of official Xbox and PlayStation controllers. The highest charting third-party product is the PowerA Wired Xbox Controller (Black), which is in eighth spot, with the white version at No.13.

Title
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
2 FIFA 23 (EA)
3 Gotham Knights (Warner Bros)
4 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5 Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft)
6 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7 PGA Tour 2K23 (2K Games)
8 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
9 Splatoon 3* (Nintendo)
10 NBA 2K23 (2K Games) th>
11 Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
12 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
13 Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
14 Persona 5 Royal
15 Bayonetta 3 (Nintendo)*
16 Minecraft: Switch Edition (Mojang/Nintendo)*
17 Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony)
18 F1 22 (EA)
19 Dragon Ball: The Breakers (Bandai Namco)
20 Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/call-...les-are-up-92-over-vanguard-uk-monthly-charts

Need to have a look at YoY change

Elden Rings crown as best selling game of the year is done for...rip.

Edit: Why tf is fallout 4 in the top 15...

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Also mw2 showed that Vanguard was such bad shit, yet that game sold alot.
Guess cod brand is much bigger than we thought.

jm89

They held back a shit ton for ragnarok bundles. I'd assume there aren't any new bundles, so there shouldn't be any hold ups with ps5 stock waiting for a particular game to release. November should be huge.

Woopah

Its going to be very very close on which platform sells the most the most year, currently its too close to call
  • PS5 performance/supply in the UK seems similar to that of the US
  • Xbox Series is closer to PS5 in the UK and any other major market
  • Switch has declined more in the UK than elsewhere, but also tends to get a bigger holiday boost that the other two
On the software side:
  • Really strong sales for MW2, surprised that PC was the least popular platform for it at launch
  • Mario & Rabbids seems to have done well
  • Good legs from Lego Sta Wars and Nintendo evergreens
  • Persona 5 and Bayonetta 3 haven't done great, but these sorts of games tend to do weaker in the UK than elsewhere

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They're both selling what they can manufacture. Sales are not a true reflection of demand.

This will go down as the argument of ages in like 10 to 20 years...old men shouting at each other....."well Sony would have sold more if they could have made more" and "well yeah, so would MS they would have sold more if they could manufacture more series x" followed by screenshot of people taking pictures of series x in stock at their local store...saying "I took this is November 2022, loads of series x"...then someone sharing their pic of ps5 bundles with horizon and god of war in stock at their local game store in the UK..." loads of ps5s here in December 2022".....

And the circle goes on lol

Last edited:
So xbox is still selling that much without exclusives?

Yah it's almost like they don't even need exclusives. I mean why bother if they're selling so much, amirite?

Microsoft almost matching PS5 in sales.....Crazyness.

....with no exclusives...

Keep believing this, and saying it, and you're going to reinforce to MS that they don't even need to try anymore with 1P output. They get the sales either way, so why bother?

TBF tho, it's maybe just somewhat close between Series and PS5 in the UK and US markets. The rest of the global markets...not so much. But wasn't always expected that Xbox would do comparatively well in US & UK? Don't know why the sales results in those markets are seemingly so surprising when they're pretty good.

Last edited:

Kerotan

This will go down as the argument of ages in like 10 to 20 years...old men shouting at each other....."well Sony would have sold more if they could have made more" and "well yeah, so would MS they would have sold more if they could manufacture more series x" followed by screenshot of people taking pictures of series x in stock at their local store...saying "I took this is November 2022, loads of series x"...then someone sharing their pic of ps5 bundles with horizon and god of war in stock at their local game store in the UK..." loads of ps5s here in December 2022".....

And the circle goes on lol
Just look at resale value to see which is in higher demand. Despite selling million's more consumers are offering more money for second hand ps5 Vs second hand Xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yah it's almost like they don't even need exclusives. I mean why bother if they're selling so much, amirite?

Keep believing this, and saying it, and you're going to reinforce to MS that they don't even need to try anymore with 1P output. They get the sales either way, so why bother?

TBF tho, it's maybe just somewhat close between Series and PS5 in the UK and US markets. The rest of the global markets...not so much. But wasn't always expected that Xbox would do comparatively well in US & UK? Don't know why the sales results in those markets are seemingly so surprising when they're pretty good.
Deffo want more first party xbox games. This year has been dire. 2023 better be amazing. I'm hoping for some serious surprises from MS next month at the game awards.
Just look at resale value to see which is in higher demand. Despite selling million's more consumers are offering more money for second hand ps5 Vs second hand Xbox.

It's obvious the ps5 is in more demand, it deserves to be its had an awesome slate of releases for 2022. I'm just surprised MS is keeping up with the ps5 in sales when it doesn't have any games. Microsoft must be doing something right in america and the UK. Where the majority of consoles are sold.

Deffo want more first party xbox games. This year has been dire. 2023 better be amazing. I'm hoping for some serious surprises from MS next month at the game awards.

Their 2023 really does need to be extremely good, all things considered. They need a breakout hit, and as good as Forza is probably going to be, it will not be that game. So it's going to probably have to be Starfield, but personally my excitement over that one has cooled considerably since the June showcase and some of what the team has mentioned since where they seem more obsessed with quantity over quality. RedFall won't be that game, either.

It would be great for them if Hellblade II were ready for a 2023 release, although now expectations for it to hit the right notes will be even higher in the wake of Plague Tale: Requiem and especially GOW Ragnarok. I would argue for Avowed in 2023, but it's probably too much to ask for two big WRPGs from 1P in the same year, especially when it's very likely Starfield is not coming until H2 2023 at earliest.

Some actual gameplay for Avowed, Hellblade II (if it's a big spectacle set-piece and a "raising the bar" so to speak over what GOW Ragnarok is already doing) or Perfect Dark that shows off really well would do a lot of good for the brand in the holiday because, again, stuff like Pentiment isn't doing anything to keep Xbox relevant among most gamers in spite of if it's a good game, simply because of the kind of game it is (specifically on the platform it is on).

It's obvious the ps5 is in more demand, it deserves to be its had an awesome slate of releases for 2022. I'm just surprised MS is keeping up with the ps5 in sales when it doesn't have any games. Microsoft must be doing something right in america and the UK. Where the majority of consoles are sold.

The thing though is I don't think it's very close between them outside of US & UK markets, and you can't underestimate the total combined volume of the ROTW. I'd say right now at best, Series is probably at 14 million, maybe 14.5 million sold-through globally (I think Ampere's Series estimates back in June were working off sold-in numbers, and I think MS's numbers extractable from their tweet were sold-through at some point of their FY 2022 Q1 cycle). Which is still ahead of both 360 and XBO time-aligned, btw.

I'm just going with that figure working from Ampere's analysis, MS's own stated XBO & Series total sales (in a tweet they posted meant for the CMA I believe), Statista's estimates, various analyst estimates for XBO figures being ~ 50 million or something like that, and just doing some extractions from that. Then adding a little more on top to account for the couple months passage of time, and you would realistically get a peak of likely 14.5 million sold-through.

feynoob

Banned
It's little bit jab, against people who think exclusives are everything.

These 2 months have been big games. From fifa to COD. It makes sense both companies to make more consoles for those gamers.

There have been alot of fifa and MW2 promotional discount on XSS, not to mention those semi price drops.

yazenov

No thread about this? COD sales 60% on PS (physical + digital). 40% Xbox + PC.

Damn Sony dominating 3rd party software sales. Good thing we have both digital and physical ratio to shut down any excuses. Call of Duty on PS sold 1.75 x more than the Xbox version. So the userbase excuse also doesn't add up and both of them are "close" in the UK.

And this is for FPS games where the Xbox userbase tends to prefer more. The splits for other genres must by larger in favor of Playstation.

Disappointed we didn't get the FiFa 2023 sales by platform splits. Quick someone ask the guy on Twitter :p

Last edited:

Kiraly

For the year-to-date, there is just 40,000 console sales separating Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 5.

Fucking hell and regularly you see people in these threads claiming that Sony is DOMINATING the UK "pie_tears_joy:

Last edited:

yazenov

Fucking hell and regularly you see people in these threads claiming that Sony is DOMINATING the UK "pie_tears_joy:

Sony is dominating in both revenue and software sales of 3rd party titles.

I mean, despite the PS5 shortages, price increase, and the competition undercutting it in price by nearly half, Sony still managed to outsell its competition in their strongest market.
There are many forms of dominance other than unit sales and context matters in this case.

Im sure MS will make fire sales come November when Sony release God Of war 2 just to keep the perception of "keeping up" with unit sales.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Like I said it's all to do with supply. If ps5 could only ship 10M to now Xbox would be leading.

I'm personally not giving sales of these consoles any thought until one or both of them meet supply so we see where they're really at.

And that could take years.

feynoob

Banned
Xbox is selling as much as it can, while ps5 isn't. I wonder why?:pie_thinking:
X1 vs PS4.

Sony forcast depends on ps4 120m userbase, while MS one depends on X1 and new uerbase. At most its 85+m(x360).

When you have that forcast, its easier to plan your production unit, and how much you need to make.

It's little bit jab, against people who think exclusives are everything.

These 2 months have been big games. From fifa to COD. It makes sense both companies to make more consoles for those gamers.

There have been alot of fifa and MW2 promotional discount on XSS, not to mention those semi price drops.

But the issue is Series S just doesn't have as much demand as Series X, PS5 or the Switch. So I guess they are doing those FIFA & MW2 promotions for Series S, along with the price drops, but some of that IMO is cancelled out by the general lower lack of Series S demand.

In other words, those promotional discounts and tie-in things could be doing more for the brand if they were tied to Series X, not the S. But MS have created this issue for themselves with designing and simultaneously launching two radically different hardware SKUs.

Xbox doesn't have that much presence outside of Latin America, US, and UK. Most of x360 sales were from US and UK. X1 reset back global growth. And now xseries need to push those global advances.

On other hand, PS is global market, and had extra gen to gain those markets.

Xseries is ps4 gen for MS.

That is an extremely bold statement. I mean, in what way would this even be true? Sales? 1P output of industry-leading games? 3P AAA exclusives and timed exclusives? Gaming innovations?

Right now there's enough evidence that in some of those aspects things aren't going as smoothly as they should. And they need more time (apparently) to prove if they can step a few things up. But that's going to be very difficult no matter what, for Series to be MS's PS4 gen, because the PS5 is looking a good deal like the PS2 in ways and Nintendo is actually very competitive this time around themselves. Those things are going to coexist with whatever Microsoft does this generation, so they may have to actually do more than what Sony did with PS4, to have a PS4-like generation this generation, if you get what I'm saying.

I certainly hope they can pull it off.

feynoob

Banned
But the issue is Series S just doesn't have as much demand as Series X, PS5 or the Switch. So I guess they are doing those FIFA & MW2 promotions for Series S, along with the price drops, but some of that IMO is cancelled out by the general lower lack of Series S demand.

In other words, those promotional discounts and tie-in things could be doing more for the brand if they were tied to Series X, not the S. But MS have created this issue for themselves with designing and simultaneously launching two radically different hardware SKUs.
Current economy, $300 is important to move your systems.
Not everyone cares about graphic card. All they want, is a device, which can play their games.
Switch sold alot, due to that price point, plus it being a handheld device.

That is an extremely bold statement. I mean, in what way would this even be true? Sales? 1P output of industry-leading games? 3P AAA exclusives and timed exclusives? Gaming innovations?
Market share. Xbox is currently doesnt have global recognition. No matter how much games it has, you need to expand your reach, and consoles you deliver on those regions.
Its not just how much games you can deliver, but how you deliver it. You need language package support for those countries. You need community support, and build a relationship with them. These arent easy.
Sony had major success, because its a japanese company, who had global business in major markets. Those connections helped them expand their business.

Right now there's enough evidence that in some of those aspects things aren't going as smoothly as they should. And they need more time (apparently) to prove if they can step a few things up. But that's going to be very difficult no matter what, for Series to be MS's PS4 gen, because the PS5 is looking a good deal like the PS2 in ways and Nintendo is actually very competitive this time around themselves. Those things are going to coexist with whatever Microsoft does this generation, so they may have to actually do more than what Sony did with PS4, to have a PS4-like generation this generation, if you get what I'm saying.
They currently have gamepass, which is a golden goose, in this economy. Considering how much games cost, they can advertise gamepass with xbox, which would move their devices.
And as for their 1st party games, it has been a big problem. But that was due to number of studios they had. Now they have 25 studios, compared to 5-7 studios during xbox one. The output would arrive.

That is an extremely bold statement. I mean, in what way would this even be true?

It's not going to be a PS4 gen for the PS5 either.

This gen has slow next gen only games and the highest prices for all consoles instead of just niche devices like in the past, I would be surprised if both XBS+P{S5 combined will even sell more than 120 million units, it may even bee 100 million or less.

feynoob

Banned
It's not going to be a PS4 gen for the PS5 either.

This gen has slow next gen only games and the highest prices for all consoles instead of just niche devices like in the past, I would be surprised if both XBS+P{S5 combined will even sell more than 120 million units, it may even bee 100 million or less.
It would sell higher.
But that depends on how much they keep making.

Top Bottom