• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Will Also Require a Phone Number to Play

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Update:

The phone requirement is only for the PC version:

------------

A recently updated article on Blizzard’s website detailing its use of phone requirements on Battle.net states that players will need a phone number to play Modern Warfare 2.

While having a mobile phone may not seem like a large barrier to entry in modern life, the site specifies that mobile numbers with prepaid plans may not work.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Acti: Put your Mobile number here so we can bombard you with in adds for in app purchases, boosters, and DLC

Gamers:

real.gif

tvdaXD

I don't understand what's the big deal... I can't imagine anyone who seriously wants to play this game wouldn't have a mobile phone number. Besides, if you even slightly care about your account and don't wanna lose access, you probably already have 2FA enabled, with a phone number as 2FA or as back-up.
With that being the case for me, I can just install the game and start playing, same for Overwatch.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like I made the right decision to stick with cod Cold War. Is this only for the battle.net version or will the Steam version require it too?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It would be nice of them to just have a barebones option for people who like playing the single player campaigns only.

It sucks that to even play the single player in MW 2019, you first need to do a mandatory 70~ GB Warzone download first.

HTK

Banned
Remember when you could just put the damn game in the system and play it? I do.

Me too, but too many garbage PC players love aim botting and ruining 20 minute games for other players. So yes, I'm for this and any other preventative measures for these deadbeats.

What I find even more sad, I always though these cheaters were like little kids. Nope, they are grown ass men and it's even more pathetic.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I see that they walked back OW2 so that now you don’t need a phone number if you already owned OW1. Hopefully they keep walking it back. I’ll wait.

DaGwaphics

Three

Cool, that should hopefully keep those who are cheating banned for a good while. Warzone is absolutely crawling with the bastards.
They'll just get a free pay as you go sim in the post with next day free delivery. Won't deter shit and just inconvenience the honest people instead.

Reactions: Isa

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For mining your data. Make absolutely no mistake this is for any sort of cheating prevention.
Of course it's for cheat prevention. You have to tie accounts to something otherwise there is no risk to cheaters. And it has to be something that isn't easily replaced like an email.
Whether we care that much about cheaters is the question.

Three

I don't understand what's the big deal... I can't imagine anyone who seriously wants to play this game wouldn't have a mobile phone number. Besides, if you even slightly care about your account and don't wanna lose access, you probably already have 2FA enabled, with a phone number as 2FA or as back-up.
With that being the case for me, I can just install the game and start playing, same for Overwatch.
It's wierd though. As somebody asked and wasn't answered. Is this for PC only?

If I have an XBL or PSN user set up already with 2FA why do they even need this information? If my linked XBL or PSN account is banned from CoD you get no new security from cheaters by activision getting my number because the PSN or XBL account would have a phone number and even a credit card attached for paying for online play. That would be a bigger inconvenience to set up again than just a new phone number for Activision.

Last edited:
Just buy a burner phone brah, what's the problem? It's only overwatch 2 doing this, it isn't a big deal. Just don't play the game brah.

Where's the defence force for this? I told you in that OW2 thread that this would become the norm if you allowed it and here we are.

Because the 2fa sure stopped ow2 getting hacked...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Had an issue in destiny recently, long story short the fix was to have my phone next to me to get a group going…. Like I keep my fucking phone on me when I’m home. That shit is for work.

And for those who don't realise, the forcing of numbers to play games means that once you have the game and a mobile phone number associated with it, they can more easily push you to download an app, which is one step from putting the game on your phone and....

Voila. You've now been converted from a console player to smart phone gamer, which is the future of the industry.

Book mark this post because this is a prophecy

MiguelItUp

This is because of cheaters, hackers, account stealers, etc. So, thank them for this. Sure, this is "stupid" but when it comes to 2FA and other forms of verification they only have so many ways to do it. So many innocent people had their accounts banned because of stuff like this. Also, when a F2P game makes money online (Warzone), something has to be done, or they will fail due to poor user experience. That doesn't mean I support it in any way, but I guess at least they're "trying" to do something about it.

Wasn't that just a DDoS attack? Or were there cheaters online?
DDos attack would be stopped by only allowing authentic traffic though.

In truth, the only hack was the person in charge of setting up enough servers for OW2 players. The same hack who didn't turn on enough servers for Diablo 3, Diablo immortal, WoW...

HTK

Banned
And for those who don't realise, the forcing of numbers to play games means that once you have the game and a mobile phone number associated with it, they can more easily push you to download an app, which is one step from putting the game on your phone and....

Voila. You've now been converted from a console player to smart phone gamer, which is the future of the industry.

Book mark this post because this is a prophecy
With my phone number attached to my gaming accounts I haven’t received a single marketing call or text message. Only for validation when I’m accessing my accounts. Also, if I were to get marketing material by law you can opt out of it and have the option to do so in the settings.

So where is the doom and gloom coming from? They could pay me monthly to play mobile games and I still wouldn’t by the way.

Top Bottom