• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Will Also Require a Phone Number to Play

With my phone number attached to my gaming accounts I haven’t received a single marketing call or text message. Only for validation when I’m accessing my accounts. Also, if I were to get marketing material by law you can opt out of it and have the option to do so in the settings.

So where is the doom and gloom coming from? They could pay me monthly to play mobile games and I still wouldn’t by the way.
"Horse armour will open the door to greedy corporations that will sell you back parts of the game that should have been in there day 1" i was told over a decade ago

"Never going to happen", I replied.

I thought you was trolling lol. Weirdos with no standards or principles will find a way to defend this though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

"THE CONTROVERSIAL 2FA SYSTEM MAY EXCLUDE PREPAID PHONES"

Oh fuck off Acti. Imagine all the people having to take out a phone contract just to be able to play a game.

This is the bigger bullet point here IMO. With how popular some of the MVNOs are (Spectrum, Mint, Visible, Cricket, etc.) you aren't just talking pay-by-minute anymore, a lot of users have their day-to-day phones with these services. Especially in slightly smaller markets where the networks aren't as congested as the big cities.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Please don't believe this is their motivation. Please, for the love of all that is good, don't believe this, lol.
Then what is it? Trust me, I'm paranoid enough about my privacy that I run my own mail server and VPN like a fucking Unazoomer with a custom Gentoo instillation that can do secureboot but I'm not seeing you're point.

Catphish

Pepperidge farms remembers
IQO5hY0.jpg

GreatnessRD

Then what is it? Trust me, I'm paranoid enough about my privacy that I run my own mail server and VPN like a fucking Unazoomer with a custom Gentoo instillation that can do secureboot but I'm not seeing you're point.
I 100% believe that its to sell your data/mine it. What would they need my phone number for? They gonna call me when they banned the million cheaters? Just another form of control that the masses will fall in line with, sadly. Since this appears to be a PC thing, why don't they just make it mandatory to install Win11 with Secure boot and the crypt keys to hardware ban the cheaters? Why only MW2? Why not the rest of their lineups that people still play and will after the launch of MW2? Shits weak.

EDIT - MiguelItUp MiguelItUp That's what 2FA is for with the account stealings, etc.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

EDIT - MiguelItUp MiguelItUp That's what 2FA is for with the account stealings, etc.
Exactly, which typically asks for your phone #, app code, etc. I just assumed this is associated with that. Maybe just another level of security, etc. One of my co-workers had his account banned because someone hacked his account and played Warzone, he didn't even play Warzone. So, because of it, he couldn't even play regular COD multiplayer. I just assume they're trying to cover everything they possibly can. Especially if that issue was standard for a TON of different players, dude was banned/blocked from multiplayer for several months cause their support took forever, lol.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Discord also does this but does accept prepaid numbers.

I think it's fine as long as they never contact you on that number, sell that info, and keep the info secure.

They are excluding prepaid numbers to makes it harder to get a new number but it does have an interesting side effect such as they are excluding people who may have less money and also people who are smarter with their money. Both which are not good customers for f2p since they rely on rich and less discerning players. So it does become clear why they're doing this.

Probably have data that players with mobile contracts spend more money vs prepaid players and that info probably came from thier mobile division/King games

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's what Ricochet was for, but Imma mind my business.
But again even if Ricochet does its job and bans someone under the current system they make a new account load up a new set of cheats and off they go taking their chances Ricochet works

Tie these accounts to phone numbers makes this a lot less likely to happen but thats just my 2 cents

Puscifer

Gold Member
I 100% believe that its to sell your data/mine it. What would they need my phone number for? They gonna call me when they banned the million cheaters? Just another form of control that the masses will fall in line with, sadly. Since this appears to be a PC thing, why don't they just make it mandatory to install Win11 with Secure boot and the crypt keys to hardware ban the cheaters? Why only MW2? Why not the rest of their lineups that people still play and will after the launch of MW2? Shits weak.

You have 2FA with PSN

You have 2FA with Xbox Live

You have 2FA with Nintendo Online

Blizzard used to sell physical mobile authenticators

You need 2FA with almost every single damn account the requires a form of payment

Windows 11 already requires that and it wouldn't matter because I use QEMU in a VM with a GPU Passthrough to play games and with a few edits I can bypass it, it's not rocket science to tie it directly to a person and Perma ban them.

You're being a 🤡 right now because you probably think good guy Sony isn't selling your precious PlayStation information huh?

A Bearded Kratos avatar seems to be a good giveaway on a lot of things it seems lol

HTK

Banned
"Horse armour will open the door to greedy corporations that will sell you back parts of the game that should have been in there day 1" i was told over a decade ago

"Never going to happen", I replied.

There aren't that many things "Gaming Industry" has done to affect my life in any way shape or form. If I disagree with something that I don't like, I just don't support it financially, that's it.

yall gonna be wondering why ur getting lots more random phone calls and junkmail all of a sudden. Is less cheaters in COD worth random nigerian scam calls?

much like streaming has become as bad as cable. Cell phones have become as bad as house phones.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

On locked systems (the consoles), you'd think these OS could supply a unique key for each piece of hardware and make that available for devs. At that point, moving to another account would require a new console (in a situation where that hardware ID got banned).

Last edited:

Generic

"THE CONTROVERSIAL 2FA SYSTEM MAY EXCLUDE PREPAID PHONES"

Oh fuck off Acti. Imagine all the people having to take out a phone contract just to be able to play a game.
Pre-paid phones suck for 2FA. What if your phone is stolen?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yall gonna be wondering why ur getting lots more random phone calls and junkmail all of a sudden. Is less cheaters in COD worth random nigerian scam calls?

much like streaming has become as bad as cable. Cell phones have become as bad as house phones.
Since I have a great robo call killer anyhow if it cuts down on cheaters is it worth it?

Animated GIF

HTK

Banned
Since I have a great robo call killer anyhow if it cuts down on cheaters is it worth it?

Animated GIF
I don't get any robo calls anyway, so yes it's worth it 10000%. Activision marketing hasn't ruined my fun, cheaters have.

EDIT: Actually Activision has ruined my fun with that MW2 beta that was designed for sentinels aka shitty players.

Last edited:

Three

Pre-paid phones suck for 2FA. What if your phone is stolen?
Not sure how it works where you are but over here you have the option to register it to an online account from which you can deactivate it and even issue a new one with the same number. Or you can keep it unregistered completely and when you lose it it's gone.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
On locked systems (the consoles), you'd think these OS could supply a unique key for each piece of hardware and make that available for devs. At that point, moving to another account would require a new console (in a situation where that hardware ID got banned).
Hardware ID bans led to a problem during the PS360 that people seemed to have forgotten about.

HTK

Banned
This is great. If you play Warzone or even CoD, the amount of new accounts is really depressing. So many cheaters. Hopefully the phone number and the anti-cheat system will finally fix this.

And hopefully the lawsuit against those guys. Last I heard they have identified the owners and are working with government officials to bring them to court. Anyone have any other info in terms of the lawsuit against engine owning or w/e they are called.

Three

Hardware ID bans led to a problem during the PS360 that people seemed to have forgotten about.
Second hand sales? Yeah I remember people were selling banned 360s.

You don't even need a hardware ID ban. Have a unique ID number associated to the registered credit card which is a requirement for PSN or XBL. Ban that unique ID and that person would have to jump through far bigger hoops to be able to create a new PSN or XBL user than a telephone number to give to Activision. Including having to pay for XBL and PS+ again. This isn't about cheating it's about data mining.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You have 2FA with PSN

You need 2FA with almost every single damn account the requires a form of payment

Windows 11 already requires that and it wouldn't matter because I use QEMU in a VM with a GPU Passthrough to play games and with a few edits I can bypass it, it's not rocket science to tie it directly to a person and Perma ban them.

You're being a 🤡 right now because you probably think good guy Sony isn't selling your precious PlayStation information huh?

A Bearded Kratos avatar seems to be a good giveaway on a lot of things it seems lol
Blizzard has a Battle.net authenticator app and CoD uses Google Authenticator app.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Second hand sales? Yeah I remember people were selling banned 360s.

You don't even need a hardware ID ban. Have a unique ID number associated to the registered credit card which is a requirement for PSN or XBL. Ban that unique ID and that person would have to jump through far bigger hoops to be able to create a new PSN or XBL user than a telephone number.
Not quite, the phone numbers identify themselves as VOIP, Pre and Post Paid, Virtual, etc. They would in fact have to jump through hoops because someone could ban their phone number associated with everything they use.

Aenima

You have 2FA with PSN

PSN does not require 2FA. They have it as an option to secure better your account, but you can create as many PSN accounts as you want and never give away your phone number.

Droxcy

You can print numbers for free lol. Also, this already has been done and yet there are still cheaters such a pointless system. Imagine making a PR blog post about you're anti cheat and it still not working lmao.
RICOCHET_ANTI-CHEAT-TOUT.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Not quite, the phone numbers identify themselves as VOIP, Pre and Post Paid, Virtual, etc. They would in fact have to jump through hoops because someone could ban their phone number associated with everything they use.

I'm not saying they don't need to jump through hoops though. Getting somebody elses or a new credit card XBL or PSN IDs is a lot harder than getting a new throw away number or asking your mum, dad, mate who doesn't even play COD. I'm saying a credit card ID associated to your PSN or XBL account is a bigger hoop and doesn't require you to do hardware bans or give any additional info to Activision Blizzard.

Puscifer

Gold Member
You can print numbers for free lol. Also, this already has been done and yet there are still cheaters such a pointless system. Imagine making a PR blog post about you're anti cheat and it still not working lmao.
RICOCHET_ANTI-CHEAT-TOUT.jpg
You can print numbers but any decent system will detect their source. Try signing up for Lyft or Uber with a temporary number, it'll recognize it and stop you from signing up. Same with finances.

HTK

Banned
PSN does not require 2FA. They have it as an option to secure better your account, but you can create as many PSN accounts as you want and never give away your phone number.
It may be an option but it should be forced. People are losing their PSN accounts to hackers and thousands of dollars spent on games, trophies etc... lost.

Top Bottom