• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Will Also Require a Phone Number to Play

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
At minimum, AT MINIMUM I'd put that kid through the wall, followed by a choke slam/DDT/People's elbow combo (in that order), burn his console and follow it up with a months grounding.
Kid lacks discipline.
100%

I am 55 and grew up at a time if I remotely talked like that I wouldn't be typing this as I would have been murdered

My son would have lost his gaming gear forever

Too many parents these days want to be their kids best friend and not really a parent

100%

I am 55 and grew up at a time if I remotely talked like that I wouldn't be typing this as I would have been murdered

Too many parents these days want to be their kids best friend and not really a parent

Bro I had a friend who's dad was essentially Bolo in this gif everytime he was up to shit as a kid.

The same thing in schools back in the day. You'd get your ass handed to you if you stepped outta line.

7cK5.gif

Last edited:

Unknown?

I don't understand what's the big deal... I can't imagine anyone who seriously wants to play this game wouldn't have a mobile phone number. Besides, if you even slightly care about your account and don't wanna lose access, you probably already have 2FA enabled, with a phone number as 2FA or as back-up.
With that being the case for me, I can just install the game and start playing, same for Overwatch.
Easier data harvesting. So glad I have ads blocked network wide and my mobile phone doesn't use shit like iOS or Android.

Cohetedor

Couldn't you just give them a Google voice #? You can get one in five minutes with any email, and change it over and over again.

Next they will be asking for your social security number, blood type and charging for play time per minute/hour. I miss the days when you used to put in a video game and play it. So many companies are pushing for this live service/GAAS online-only movement and things like this are one of the reasons why. Look out. It’s going to get worst from here.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I use Mint Mobile due to how little data I use and just the insane amount of money I save (about a thousand a year!) and it seems to authenticate fine, both with Battlenet itself and with Overwatch with a brand new Battlenet account.

Hopefully it all works out. They'd be nuts to cut off a bunch of prepaid kids and college students.

Last edited:
Im sitting in a queue just to LAUNCH battle net and it says its gonna be 35 minutes. 35 minutes before I can access games I paid for? It has an option to go online but that means I have to play singleplayer and certain games wont work

The battle net app is terrible

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Times like this makes me sooooooooo glad that I'm not in to MP games. It seems even trying to play some MP has become pain in the ass with whole subscription to PS+/Nintendo Online/ Xbox Gold on consoles and now with this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Times like this makes me sooooooooo glad that I'm not in to MP games. It seems even trying to play some MP has become pain in the ass with whole subscription to PS+/Nintendo Online/ Xbox Gold on consoles and now with this.
Youre not into MP games? Well get a load of this....

I dont know exactly when it happened, but it used to be you boot up the game, and choose MP at the home screen/menu screen. You choose MP mode, then pick a mode and play. If you want to buy some digital downloads, you pick the store tab.

Now, the second you boot up to home screen, the first thing you get is a big pop up screen saying what new mtx there is in the e-store. Press whichever button they say to go direct to the store and buy it.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
If this is a way for them to get permanently get rid of cheaters, I'm all for it. (Assuming it works)

But what is a prepaid phone? :S

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Youre not into MP games?

I dont know exactly when it happened, but it used to be you boot up the game, and choose MP at the home screen/menu screen. You choose MP mode, then pick a mode and play. If you want to buy some digital downloads, you pick the store tab.

Now, the second you boot up to home screen, the first thing you get is a big pop up screen saying what new mtx there is in the e-store. Press whichever button they say to go direct to the store and buy it.
Also remember once we used have to pay $9.99 to even unlock MP mode for some games? God that was such a stupid way to prevent people from buying used games.

tvdaXD

Easier data harvesting. So glad I have ads blocked network wide and my mobile phone doesn't use shit like iOS or Android.
What do they wanna harvest with something they already know? It's only used for a verification code occasionally.

Banned
I already didn't wanna play this, IMO the beta felt like the worst CoD of all time (literally the worst controller aiming CoD has had since the PS2 days)

GreatnessRD

You have 2FA with PSN

You have 2FA with Xbox Live

You have 2FA with Nintendo Online

Blizzard used to sell physical mobile authenticators

You need 2FA with almost every single damn account the requires a form of payment

Windows 11 already requires that and it wouldn't matter because I use QEMU in a VM with a GPU Passthrough to play games and with a few edits I can bypass it, it's not rocket science to tie it directly to a person and Perma ban them.

You're being a 🤡 right now because you probably think good guy Sony isn't selling your precious PlayStation information huh?

A Bearded Kratos avatar seems to be a good giveaway on a lot of things it seems lol
Having 2FA is optional on everything you listed. Not a requirement to play a video game. And Windows doesn't require far as gaming goes which is why I made the statement I did. You can turn all that shit after booting Windows. Especially on legacy PC's. And you're a fuckin' idiot. Me having an Sony Avatar isn't indicative of anything or showing Sony loyalism. I'm not one of the fanboy clowns who shill or apologize for any company. And for the record, the Avy was for the GOW launch bet. But yeah, go off.

All right, but last time I do this, so help me...

I already didn't wanna play this, IMO the beta felt like the worst CoD of all time (literally the worst controller aiming CoD has had since the PS2 days)

I have a sinking feeling it is bad. It was a challenge to keep playing the beta...COD used to feel so good you had to make excuse to move on after a few months. Now? You need constant excuses and fomo to play.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Modern Warfare 2 players were concerned when it was confirmed that the game would have a phone verification system similar to Overwatch 2, and the developers have clarified exactly how this will work.

Modern Warfare 2 fans are looking ahead to all the new content that will arrive in the full release on October 28, and it was confirmed that the game will feature an SMS Protect system that sounded similar to Overwatch 2.

This requires players to use phone verification in order to access the game, and the community was divided about its inclusion. Now, Activision have properly explained how this system works in Modern Warfare 2.

On October 13, Activision shared an official RICOCHET progress report detailing many anti-cheat improvements as well as revealing that only PC players need a phone number attached to play Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2.

Advertisement

The developers made it clear that the SMS policy for both new CoD titles requires PC players to link their Steam accounts to their phone numbers in order to play. So, console players won’t have to worry about registering their phone numbers.

However, SMS policy for Modern Warfare II and Warzone 2.0 hasn’t changed on Battle.net. Players will have the same requirements as Warzone on PC.

Even if you’re buying Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2 on Steam, you’ll still need to link a phone number. Since buying and activating a new number can be expensive, this should discourage cheaters from doing so whenever they’re caught.

Activision described this system as “critical to [their] anti-cheat enforcement efforts” so that players can have a fun gaming experience. It’s reassuring to know that the devs are taking steps to counter the issue of cheaters.

SMS Protect is included in Overwatch 2, but it ended up locking some players out of the game, and this caused the developers to backtrack on some of its features. For this reason, the Call of Duty community had concerns about this feature’s inclusion.

Hopefully, SMS Protect will avoid going through the same issues as Overwatch 2 when it finally arrives in Modern Warfare 2’s launch.

HTK

Banned
100%

Facts! Also, there is no public policing anymore. People get to do and say whatever they want without any public repercussions.

I had a friend where this punk ass kid was in his face talking all kinds of shit, the dude slapped his lights out. He changed his tone right away, but the biggest surprise to me was that in that dudes reality, being slapped was never a real outcome. That's where his mindset was, he can do anything he wants with no repercussions. (I like to believe on that day he learned a valuable lesson in life).

HTK

Banned

Modern Warfare 2 players were concerned when it was confirmed that the game would have a phone verification system similar to Overwatch 2, and the developers have clarified exactly how this will work.

Modern Warfare 2 fans are looking ahead to all the new content that will arrive in the full release on October 28, and it was confirmed that the game will feature an SMS Protect system that sounded similar to Overwatch 2.

This requires players to use phone verification in order to access the game, and the community was divided about its inclusion. Now, Activision have properly explained how this system works in Modern Warfare 2.

On October 13, Activision shared an official RICOCHET progress report detailing many anti-cheat improvements as well as revealing that only PC players need a phone number attached to play Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2.

Advertisement

The developers made it clear that the SMS policy for both new CoD titles requires PC players to link their Steam accounts to their phone numbers in order to play. So, console players won’t have to worry about registering their phone numbers.

However, SMS policy for Modern Warfare II and Warzone 2.0 hasn’t changed on Battle.net. Players will have the same requirements as Warzone on PC.

Even if you’re buying Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2 on Steam, you’ll still need to link a phone number. Since buying and activating a new number can be expensive, this should discourage cheaters from doing so whenever they’re caught.

Activision described this system as “critical to [their] anti-cheat enforcement efforts” so that players can have a fun gaming experience. It’s reassuring to know that the devs are taking steps to counter the issue of cheaters.

SMS Protect is included in Overwatch 2, but it ended up locking some players out of the game, and this caused the developers to backtrack on some of its features. For this reason, the Call of Duty community had concerns about this feature’s inclusion.

Hopefully, SMS Protect will avoid going through the same issues as Overwatch 2 when it finally arrives in Modern Warfare 2’s launch.

Glad they are sticking with this one especially for PC players. For Consoles, Sony and Microsoft need to put a stop to those devices on their systems. We know they can do it, it's time to act. Sony will find out real quick who they are dealing with once one of their GaaS games launches on PC and gets ruined with cheaters in matter of days.

HTK

Banned
Hackers won't be stopped but hella a lot of them will be deterred. You have to make it difficult, cumbersome, inconvenient, and put as many hurdles for them to negate the problem.

I'm watching some of these posts against this and you can tell some folks have never went through a practice of recovering their PSN or Activision account when you don't have 2FA. It's a nightmare and these companies aren't even ready for it, not to mention your bank accounts and everything else has a phone number attached so this is nothing new. Your privacy is not being tampered by anyone here.

Additionally, I just want to share how Call of Duty Warzone - Verdansk got so bad with cheaters. Think about you get off work, want to play with your buddies and have some fun.

You play about 5 games that night and out of those 5, 4 were ruined by cheaters. Now, this isn't a 5 minute match where it's like w/e you hop into the next one. Each game can take up to 30 minutes of dedication, you get to 25 minutes (end-game) and it gets ruined by a cheater. Now repeat this over and over, it defeats the purpose of even playing, it turns into just wasting time. You got these losers coming into your games and ruining it for you.

Adding phone numbers may not completely prevent cheaters, hell I don't think anyone will ever claim to stop anything 100% but anything helps.
  • Ricochet Anti-Cheat Helps
  • Players Reporting Cheaters Helps
  • Adding Phone Numbers Helps
  • Going After Cheat Makers through the legal system definitely helps.
If you can give your phone number for security reasons to:
Comcast
Verizon
TMobile
Electric Bill
Car Payment Account
Credit Card Account

etc.. etc... I think your privacy will be fine. Like I said put as many hurdles front of these folks as possible, Fuck'em.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't mind playing with 1 or 2 cheaters. Just fix your game so no one can cheat or ban hardware or IP numbers. This is ridiculous.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
You don’t mind losing all the time because of cheaters
In matches close to my own talent group, I'm usually in the top five and that's enough for me. Cheaters are usually greedy (stats like 70 kills, 1 death) so it's easy to spot them and I usually don't give a damn about it. If it's getting to the point where I can't move because of dying, I usually close that game and move to a new server(which rarely happens).

Let me tell you a secret, you're playing against thousands of people who probably play better than you, even if they're not cheating. So it gets better when you accept it.

Top Bottom