• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Will Also Require a Phone Number to Play

Trust me this is good it's 1 more step for hackers to jump through.
Nothing seems to work in these f2p online games back in warzone when hacking was at its peak it was really depressing to play and find hackers in every single game.

ZehDon

And once SMS numbers are no longer considered secure because everyone required them, I look forward to SIX factor authentication.

“Enter your username”
“Enter your password”
“Enter the number sent to your email”
“Enter the number sent to your phone”
“Fill out this captcha”
“Select all the squares with squirrels that look like Abraham Lincoln”
“Enter the number sent to your Authenticator application”
“Watch this 15 second ad and then select all the options that appeared in the ad”

“Thank you for logging in. The servers are currently unavailable. Please try logging in again.”

Last edited:

Aenima

It may be an option but it should be forced. People are losing their PSN accounts to hackers and thousands of dollars spent on games, trophies etc... lost.
No, it should remain an option. Its up for each individual to decide if they want to add more protection to they account or not.

I have 4 PSN accounts from 4 diferent countries, only my main account has a 2FA set up.

Reactions: Fuz

cormack12

Gold Member
Isn't the prepaid thing only a US issue? I'm going to bet most teens are on pay as you go phones, so will be likely hit hardest unless the use mum and dad's number.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Isn't the prepaid thing only a US issue? I'm going to bet most teens are on pay as you go phones, so will be likely hit hardest unless the use mum and dad's number.
I'm on prepaid, I've been doing visible with Verizon for 2 years now because of their 25 dollars unlimited talk, text hotspot and data plan.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm on prepaid, I've been doing visible with Verizon for 2 years now because of their 25 dollars unlimited talk, text hotspot and data plan.

I think it was this I read about US:

"Blizzard’s phone restrictions seem to primarily and widely impair U.S. prepaid phone plan users...Prepaid phone users in other countries have reported being able to log into the game problem-free, which some players speculate could either be because their country necessitates identification in order to purchase a prepaid phone, or because Blizzard has only banned known prepaid phone plans."

HTK

Banned
No, it should remain an option. Its up for each individual to decide if they want to add more protection to they account or not.

I have 4 PSN accounts from 4 diferent countries, only my main account has a 2FA set up.

That's fine as long as those folks are ready to accept responsibility once they get hacked. Which they won't be but here we are.

UnNamed

Banned
Acti: Put your Mobile number here so we can bombard you with in adds for in app purchases, boosters, and DLC

Not true, many countries have a regulation for advertising through mobile phones, and you don't receive anything if you don't allow companies to send ads. But you can also block them on Android (and IOS i suppose).

In fact, I think this is a good idea to erase cheaters once for all, you can block an IP or replace your copy easily, but ban an account tied to a telephone number is pretty annoying.

You can use a virtual number, but for my experience, they aren't very good, neither cheap or free.

Reallink

Not sure what this accomplishes, it only costs $10-$20 to add a line to any post paid plan, which can be canceled the next month cause no US carriers use contracts anymore. AKAIK the telecoms can't give or sell your names or addresses to third parties so there's no layer of verification here.

People pay a lot of money for the PC hacks that bypass sophisticated modern anti-cheat, they absolutely do not care about $20. Meanwhile they don't even ban what is BY FAR the most prevalent form of cheating, that is people running usb XIM style adapters on consoles which have recoil supression algorithms and allows the use of mice with aim assist in controller lobbies.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You can print numbers for free lol. Also, this already has been done and yet there are still cheaters such a pointless system. Imagine making a PR blog post about you're anti cheat and it still not working lmao.
RICOCHET_ANTI-CHEAT-TOUT.jpg
Not catching everyone every time =/= not working.

MiguelItUp

Valve also did it in CS:Go (although it’s not REQUIRED). But I guess they get a pass because it’s Valve?
No clue honestly. Maybe? This stuff never bothered me, because it was clear it was meant to improve experiences and enhance security, etc. I'm just assuming because all that Valve stuff was/is strictly PC. Whereas the COD stuff goes extends to more platforms.

ManaByte

No clue honestly. Maybe? This stuff never bothered me, because it was clear it was meant to improve experiences and enhance security, etc. I'm just assuming because all that Valve stuff was/is strictly PC. Whereas the COD stuff goes extends to more platforms.
Well Fortnite is about 100x bigger than COD and they’ve required 2FA to play in tournaments for a long time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As someone who lost my World of Warcraft account and so much gold and all my epic loot and then the hoops I had to jump through to get my stripped down account back adding a phone number is actually welcomed by me

MiguelItUp

Well Fortnite is about 100x bigger than COD and they’ve required 2FA to play in tournaments for a long time.
Very valid. I dunno man, maybe cause it's COD? Activision/Blizzard? Just seems like exaggerated outrage to me, lol. I get some people are weirded out by stuff like that, but hey if it improves security and game experiences, I'm down.
As someone who lost my World of Warcraft account and so much gold and all my epic loot and then the hoops I had to jump through to get my stripped down account back adding a phone number is actually welcomed by me
I totally understand! I mentioned it earlier but a coworker of mine had his COD account compromised a few months ago. Never touched Warzone, but couldn't play standard multiplayer anymore as a result. Had to wait months to get it fixed. Sorry you had to go through that, at least you got it back! What a pain.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Giving game companies a valid email address is bad enough as you get hit with promotional BS in your junk email. Giving them your phone number (which I think is supposed to cut down on hackers if I got that right skimming this thread) is even worse since everyone on Earth will consider spam phone calls worse than email spam.

Activision will put to use your phone number for 1% hacker focus and 99% selling your number to marketing companies. And by the sounds of these kinds of things if you disagree you cant play.

If you're someone who really values your phone number and arent a big COD gamer, skip the game.

Once you get on mailing and phone lists you'll never get off them. Makes no difference if you get lucky getting off a marketing company's phone list because there's going to be 100 more coming at you. No doubt in that super detailed fine print 3 page terms of service they'll say some shit about Activision having the right to use your number for marketing purposes if you confirm yes giving it to them.

You can tell companies use your email address for email promos because I get COD and EA emails all the time. So no doubt they'll do something with your phone number as well.

Last edited:

Drew1440

And then Activision suffer a security breach and everyone's phone numbers get leaked. The spammers will love that.
The less data they have, the better. For security an authenticator app should suffice.

MiguelItUp

This will be a fun thread to reference the next time someone posts a thread asking for help recovering an account they didn’t have 2FA on.
No kidding. Everyone is scared of spam? Lol. I've been using my phone # and email for 2FA (and other security methods) for several years across several different platforms, I'm not blowing up with spam. Tinfoil hat level freak outs going on, lmao.

If you don't want to do it, you don't want to do it. Nothing wrong with that. But there's not a "right way" or a "wrong way" here.

Last edited:
It would be nice of them to just have a barebones option for people who like playing the single player campaigns only.

It sucks that to even play the single player in MW 2019, you first need to do a mandatory 70~ GB Warzone download first.
This is the type of shit that I can't stand about gaming today. Same thing for Playstation Plus, why can't they offer a cheap option to be able to play online without getting the "free" monthly games. Being able to play a competitive online match should not cost $60/year if we don't care about the monthly extras. Same thing for MW2 like you said and install sizes. It would be easy for then to do this and would be pro gamer of them especially with the small SSD sizes of the consoles.

It always boils down to them taking away options all in the name of greed. With Destiny 2 they just removed $150 worth of content to "solve" their storage issues. Another bullshit aspect to online gaming is forcing cross play on console gamers. Its so they can maximize their concurrent players in hopes of raking in more $ in Mtx's. All this stuff comes at the expense of a fair gaming experience.

How about tying it to the copy of the game you buy?

You need a code when you buy the game so that hackers and cheaters have to buy the game multiple times to keep hacking or cheating.

What's that? That would mean no f2p and you couldn't get away with raping people through MTX and lootboxes? Oh never mind then.

//DEVIL//

Honestly I get it. This way a hacker will have to use a different number and so on and it will become more of an inconvenience to do so. especially some of those shitty streamers that do not care about money and pretend they are really good at this game or other rich hackers that will buy it 100 times every time they get banned.

so fuck it. if its less chances of cheating i will take it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But the ignorants don't know that and will keep saying out of their asses that you will get calls and adds. 🤷‍♂️
Honestly I get it. This way a hacker will have to use a different number and so on and it will become more of an inconvenience to do so. especially some of those shitty streamers that do not care about money and pretend they are really good at this game or other rich hackers that will buy it 100 times every time they get banned.

so fuck it. if its less chances of cheating i will take it.
I have seen a lot of uproar over this whole phone bit and I also do not get blown up with calls and have had my phone tied to 2FA on a few accounts.

Makes me wonder how many people know this might hurt their own buying hacks and playing WarZone 2 thus the outrage?

Anyone in favor of this is an idiot.
The more I see comments like this the more I applaud it

I hate the whole "if you don't like what I like your dumb" 13 year old mentality

Top Bottom