• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Vanguard is getting a free trial just 2 weeks after launch

Fake

Its good. Don't listen to people bitching about WW2 guns and maps.

I played the game and did not like. To be honest, you're mistaking WW2 with Vanguard. WW2 is a good game with a mix bag singleplayer, but the multiplayer is damn fun.
Vanguard multiplayer is a big let down for me.

I played the game and did not like. To be honest, you're mistaking WW2 with Vanguard. WW2 is a good game with a mix bag singleplayer, but the multiplayer is damn fun.
Vanguard multiplayer is a big let down for me.
That's too bad, we all have different tastes.

VN1X

Banned
Played a few rounds now and holy fuck did I dodge a bullet. My word...

I've been a fan ever since the original CoD and played pretty much every release since then but my god this is pure unadulterated trash isn't it?! Visibility is absolutely terrible, the map design makes me feel like I'm a rat in a maze, spawns are still broken, TTK is super inconsistent, audio still sucks (very odd mix where dogs barking will sound louder than explosions and footsteps, fantastic!) and the list goes on and on. Honestly, the entire experience (from a player's point of view) just feels completely braindead. There's no flow, no rhyme or reason, just a cacophony of explosions, gunshots, annoying screen effects, non-stop dog barking and radio chatter. No thanks!

Oh and I like how the Battle Pass in this gives you unlocks for other games. Why would I want shit for other/older CoD titles when I just bought the new one? Does Activision think that poorly of its player base and thinks they are grinding COD Warzone, Cold War and Vanguard 24/7? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its good. Don't listen to people bitching about WW2 guns and maps.

Sure thing lad. The game is still free trial way too soon. That at least means something(lack of confidence, low player account, among other possible reasons), regardless of liking it or not.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just played a few rounds and after playing BF2042 and Infinite, I've come to the realization that COD just isn't my cup of tea anymore, at least when it comes to TDM. The flow of the game just seems like it was designed for people with ADHD, mixed in with campers around every corner. I feel like there's absolutely no flow if that makes any sense. Just isn't fun for me anymore. BF can be a chaotic mess at times as well, but somehow I still manage to love that series

Last edited:
The campaign is fairly boring, I have no clue why they went WW2 again. It also looks poor on the series x version. Maybe PC looks proper, but the hd streaming textures thing is weird to me.

Nvzman

Sure thing lad. The game is still free trial way too soon. That at least means something(lack of confidence, low player account, among other possible reasons), regardless of liking it or not.
If I'm being honest, he's right, its not really suffering because of the gameplay. Most people playing it are actually enjoying it a lot, just check out the reception on the subreddit compared to BF2042. I'm having a blast with it; I think it might be one of the most fun CODs in quite some time, its unironically reminding me a lot of MW2 in that theres so much broken, overpowered stuff that its actually quite balanced, pretty much every gun has some insane trick up its sleeve. The real letdown to the public is that its a WW2 shooter (which I never understood, its not like we are constantly getting WW2 games), I think its just as simple as that.

VN1X

Banned
To be fair I believe Cold War had a free-trial weekend around the same time last year as well. If anything it's to put another nail in the BF2042 coffin as that came out today as well.

Last edited:

kikkis

Not a fan of the whole pacing options. Like are the maps even designed for 6v6. Lack of cyber attack hurts. While it's more intense than halo, I think ill pass on this one.

Shmunter

Just played the multiplayer. TDM, FFA, KC

My observations…

Compared to Modern Warefare (2019), faster, more responsive. Compared to Cold War, slower, heavier. Conclusion - a sublime combination. Dare I say it….best feeling COD ever?

Gfx are very impressive. The environmental density and quality of lighting is the next level for cod on display here. The fact the environment rips up as you play is fantastic.

Tip try that AMD cas thing. It works well, using 80%, really helps the image look higher rez with added clarity…

This is legit.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oh my god is this thing ever done "compiling shaders" ?

Every. Fuckin. Time. I launch this thing it has to do shaders. It's mental.

Three

It seems to think the Alpha is this weeks multiplayer trial so I can't even start the game 😄. Well done activision.

Shmunter

Can I get it to download all textures without this streaming on demand crap? Unless that’s only for player skins and trinkets or some shit.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just played a few rounds and after playing BF2042 and Infinite, I've come to the realization that COD just isn't my cup of tea anymore, at least when it comes to TDM. The flow of the game just seems like it was designed for people with ADHD, mixed in with campers around every corner. I feel like there's absolutely no flow if that makes any sense. Just isn't fun for me anymore. BF can be a chaotic mess at times as well, but somehow I still manage to love that series
GIve DOM a try.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not gonna lie. I kinda loved it. It feels like one of those older cods like Black Ops 2. Guns feel great like they did in the new MW, but the TTK is like Black Ops 2. So what you get is the best of both worlds. Love the weapon unlocks. You can make some truly deadly guns. It's almost like they said fuck it, every gun can be OP. Go nuts.

Yes, the spawns are fucked. Yes, the SSBM makes it so that you dont get to go on too many killstreaks. Yes, shipment comes up far too often. But I had fun. Played for like 4 hours yesterday which is very rare for me nowadays. I cant play anything for more than 30 minutes without getting bored out of my mind.

Coming from halo and Battlefield, this is exactly what I wanted. Halo is in a better state than Battlefield, but it feels too rooted in the past where as Vanguard is just trying to capture the feel of the old CoD while bringing new mechanics, new upgrade systems and other modern CoD features to keep it feel fresh and new.

Shmunter

They finally got the end of play sequence down. The MVP selection is great with the replays for each of the top three.

Last edited:

SCB3

hmm, I was on the fence about CoD and BF this year, Halo pretty much made that decision for me, I played a good hour of this trial, and compared to the last BO its not as fun, the TTK is also so fast, I've literally watched a killcam where a opponent has killed 4 or 5 players without reloading with a AR

BigLee74

It’s growing on me. Best thing I did was switch it to ‘tactical’ style (or old fashioned 6 v 6). Everything else is just too hectic.

Having said that, I hate the return of kill streaks as opposed to score streaks. Kill streaks just favour those that are really good in the first place, and promote camping.

It’s also not as silky smooth as Cold War (and I much prefer the Cold War theme, and the more cartoon like presentation of Cold War), but at least I’m passed the stage now where I just wanted to throw it in the bin!

Word of warning. They just released Shipment, and it’s awful. Die die die. Wait until that mortar kill streaks starts raining down!

Last edited:

Shmunter

T
It’s growing on me. Best thing I did was switch it to ‘tactical’ style (or old fashioned 6 v 6). Everything else is just too hectic.

Having said that, I hate the return of kill streaks as opposed to score streaks. Kill streaks just favour those that are really good in the first place, and promote camping.

It’s also not as silky smooth as Cold War (and I much prefer the Cold War theme, and the more cartoon like presentation of Cold War), but at least I’m passed the stage now where I just wanted to throw it in the bin!

Word of warning. They just released Shipment, and it’s awful. Die die die. Wait until that mortar kill streaks starts raining down!
Tactical, nice tip. So many will miss this, I know I did.

MikeM

Can't play with friends? Keep getting "this content is only available in the full game", what a piece of shit game.
Me and a buddy both downloaded it and wanted to play together. Nope can't. lol ok... delete. GTFO.

go away gtfo GIF

Last edited:

Shmunter

The character call-outs are just embarrassing. I got some random female that yells out in a teenage voice “I can see what you can’t, nah, nah, nah” when I get a personal uav…wtf?

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I downloaded it and played a few matches tonight. I only played a little Cold War on PS4, and a ton of MW2019 on PS4. Couldn't use a mouse because I couldn't find the toggle ads setting if there even was one. Turned my controller on and hold auto aim.

The person above who said this game is for people with ADHD is right. The game is literally all auto aim. It's a reflex game disguised as an FPS. Went 70 and 10, so I guess my reflexes are still pretty good. Uninstalled.

Last edited:

M16

I buy every cod every year. Didnt buy vanguard yet because I have a pretty big backlog.

So I start playing the trial, get a few matches in, doing real good, then I get permabanned. WTF????

the only other thing open in the background on my pc is visual fuckin studio, because i am a developer.

What in the actual fuck?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I buy every cod every year. Didnt buy vanguard yet because I have a pretty big backlog.

So I start playing the trial, get a few matches in, doing real good, then I get permabanned. WTF????

the only other thing open in the background on my pc is visual fuckin studio, because i am a developer.

What in the actual fuck?
Had a friend get banned in about 2 matches on PC and I know he doesn't cheat either, something is keying it for sure

VN1X

Banned
Played some more and uninstalled.

Absolutely travesty of a game. I feel bad for the kids having to grow up on all these mediocre fuckin' shooters as of late.

It's 2021 and they can't even get spawn logic right let alone proper map design where if you exit a door into an open space you don't have to deal with 12 sight lines where at least half are occupied by Faze Clan members and ready to beam you into the ground. Fuck that noise. I'm out!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo has become the standard for fps performance, there’s a collection of data supporting this gamers don’t stick to cod for weeks like they use too. That said it’s a beautiful time to be a shooter fan there’s still life left in Vanguard.

I played for a couple of hours and it’s decent, might pick it up when it’s on sale although I’m still playing MW 2019, I might end up just waiting for MW2 since Activision sales are usually shit.

OrtizTwelve

This is what happens when you release the same damn game every year for several years running. You can only have so many different ideas until eventually it becomes stale and nobody really cares anymore.

2019’s Modern Warfare was the exception, that was a well received title — but Cold War in 2020 and now Vanguard in 2021 are just lackluster entries. We really don’t need a Call of Duty game every year

Vanguard is basically a woke take on WWII, and the majority of “normal” people are tired of woke things, and also uninterested in the theme of WWII. Combined together, you get what you see: lukewarm reception and potentially lower than expected sales.

I can assume that Vanguard will be one of the lowest selling Call of Duty titles in recent memory.

tusharngf

I used to be a cod only player back in 2007. I played till black ops then decided to quit as I got bored of it. Later started playing PUBG but after 2yrs I quit that game. I wont be playing any MP games now as they are really addictive and causes focus issues in real life.

jigglet

Banned
Even if they went free to play I wouldn't even install it lol.

I love COD, but I cannot have it on my machine anymore.

Shmunter

So playing the new trial. Are the game mode options hobbled for the trail or is this how the full game is now? The only thing I can find a match on is the Donkey Kong vs Godzilla diorama map.

If so, no wonder it’s a failure. And if the demo is hobbled, who the hell would buy the full after thinking it’s this shit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom