• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Vanguard |OT|

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Terrible game.

- Takes forever to get into a match
- Takes forever to get out of a match (player of the game and MVP screens)
- Every match requires loading into a new lobby due to SBMM
- SBMM doesn't even work anyway. Just played about 10 games (going from level 4 to 8). Lobbies have guys who are level 30+
- The worst visibility or lag. You get killed in a millisecond, but watching the kill cam, it looks like the guy actually had a slight jump on you and shot off more bullets than you think. But the game makes it look like he shot you once instantly. Other times, I get killed and in killcam the guy slipped by, but there is no way I wouldnt notice him
- Already had a post game crash to the dashboard. Stats of match didn't track so it shows if you're on the MVP "elbow to the face" screen and the game bombs, you lose progress as that isn't far enough into the post game to track it (you probably have to get out and be back at the lobby for it to count)
- Castle map is better than the old one. More colourful and a bit more tree cover in the open part of the map

Last edited:
So the operators have “favorite guns “

do we get bonus xp if we use those guns with those operators or an I reading too much into it.

Also I know reticle unlocks are borked in MP but they work just fine in zombies if anyone was trying to unlock them.

So the operators have “favorite guns “

do we get bonus xp if we use those guns with those operators or an I reading too much into it.

Also I know reticle unlocks are borked in MP but they work just fine in zombies if anyone was trying to unlock them.
Yes you get bonus exp if you match the operator to the favourite gun.

And yes I also see the reticle unlocks don't work. Who tested this internally???

What's up with the battle pass? Are we supposed to be getting blue prints unlocked? Everything is greyed out for me except some xp tokens. I haven't played Cold War in a bit but I don't remember anything being greyed out and I would earn camos/blueprints every few games. Is this broken?

They really need to remove the end match show boat and voting crap... eats a LOT of time out of the XP tokens. Complete BS that they don't pause the token duration when you aren't in matches as-is.
At least make it a photo option, not 3 separate animations including a video of gameplay of the match.

Reizo Ryuu

I haven't played Cold War in a bit but I don't remember anything being greyed out and I would earn camos/blueprints every few games.
Blueprints in cold war weren't unlocks, there were a few free ones in the free battle pass, and a couple free ones in the store, everything else was paid.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Cold war zombies is the best zombie game no joke..

I spend 14 ingame days in playtime on that game.. still plenty of shit to unlock
Mate I picked up Cold War. I'm really pleased with it so thanks again. Awesome game. Zombies is better than Vanguard. Maybe MP too

Last edited:

makaveli60

Anyone finished the campaign? If so, how is it?
I’m the odd person who plays CoD strictly for the campaigns and doesn’t care one bit about the multiplayer. I’m in the third mission and I must say the campaign is amazing so far. Production values are through the roof as always. They are one of the last bastions who care about creating a good, handcrafted single player experience. The game not only looks and sounds awesome but plays awesome too as it‘s running on the Modern Warfare engine and it clearly shows. It has that heavier feeling like MW2019 had. It sort of reminds me of Killzone 2, and that’s a very nice compliment. I don’t think anyone will regret it who is someone like me, playing CoD for the campaigns. It’s still CoD, so don’t expect anything out of the regular, but it provides the things we love in these campaigns.

BigLee74

After a week with this game, I’m very disappointed. Hardly touched the campaign, yet already more than half way through it, including another very boring sneak through a jungle level. Yawn.

The multiplayer is what I can only describe as rank rotten. Dull brown dirt and rubble maps, most of which are too large. And there is NO WAY this is running at a smooth 60 FPS (XSX). Dips with lots of alpha, dips with more than 6v6, just general jank and shoddiness.

Also, who thought it was a good idea to have your teammates block you physically? Fed up being jostled around by those twats 😀.

Shaping up to be a huge waste of £50, and a swift return to Cold War (with its wide and varied list of maps, nice guns, and just a generally better setting).

After a week with this game, I’m very disappointed. Hardly touched the campaign, yet already more than half way through it, including another very boring sneak through a jungle level. Yawn.

The multiplayer is what I can only describe as rank rotten. Dull brown dirt and rubble maps, most of which are too large. And there is NO WAY this is running at a smooth 60 FPS (XSX). Dips with lots of alpha, dips with more than 6v6, just general jank and shoddiness.

Also, who thought it was a good idea to have your teammates block you physically? Fed up being jostled around by those twats 😀.

Shaping up to be a huge waste of £50, and a swift return to Cold War (with its wide and varied list of maps, nice guns, and just a generally better setting).
Unfortunately, the character design and overall aesthetic in CW looks like it was ripped straight outta Zoolander

qFHGCnB.jpg

Excess

What's up with the battle pass? Are we supposed to be getting blue prints unlocked? Everything is greyed out for me except some xp tokens. I haven't played Cold War in a bit but I don't remember anything being greyed out and I would earn camos/blueprints every few games. Is this broken?
If you look closely, you're earning things for CW and Warzone, not Vanguard. I too got tricked. You can still earn the occasional Double XP and COD Points, but "pre-season" apparently gets you jack shit in Vanguard.

How did you barely touch it when its like 4 and a half hours and out of that its 90 mins cutscenes :messenger_tears_of_joy: But yeah, this was as copy pasted COD as it gets.

splattered

I'm playing mp today and using the what is it.
Automaton assault rifle? Got it to level 65 today and now I can work on unlocking the mind games skins which are a bunch of skull skins for the gun. Checking the requirement it says to get ads kills using the sniper barrel, empress stock, and assassin proficiency. Uhmmm I'm not seeing an assassin proficiency anywhere at all, am I missing something???

Allforce

I'm playing mp today and using the what is it.
Automaton assault rifle? Got it to level 65 today and now I can work on unlocking the mind games skins which are a bunch of skull skins for the gun. Checking the requirement it says to get ads kills using the sniper barrel, empress stock, and assassin proficiency. Uhmmm I'm not seeing an assassin proficiency anywhere at all, am I missing something???

It's a bug. Gotta wait til it's sorted.

That's my favorite gun so far btw. Just feels so good to use especially once it ranks up.

If you want big XP gains join that Trifecta Playlist, bring in Decoy Grenades and the perk that gives you an extra every so often. Spam them everywhere and check your score at the end.

Y0ssarian

Banned
What gun does everyone like using? I started with the STG44, then moved to the MP40, and now I like the Thompson/1928

Last edited:

BigLee74

How did you barely touch it when its like 4 and a half hours and out of that its 90 mins cutscenes :messenger_tears_of_joy: But yeah, this was as copy pasted COD as it gets.
Figure of speech my good man.

Had it on about 3 times for short sessions, nothing memorable, and one mission in particular lasted about 10 minutes if lucky. It’s looking short, and not great.

Salz01

My problem with the game is not the diversity, but the fugliness. Each character looks like a potato head. If you are forcing me to look at these characters in the menu and mvp replay, at least make them attractive.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down the weaponry of Call Of Duty: Vanguard, including cursed versions of the M1 Garand, a ridiculously cutdown Thompson, and an MG42 without a stock.

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of Call Of Duty: Vanguard and compares them to their real-life counterparts.

makaveli60

Finished the campaign. It was short indeed but I had a blast and enjoyed every moment of it. It reminded me of the glorious days of CoD 1 and 2. If you like CoD campaigns I don’t think you will regret it.

Artistic

Alright a bit off topic, but going to ask here.

Tried to install Warzone for free through the XBL Store, and when I did, I got all the install from the Modern Warfare release installing instead. I don't own the Modern Warfare physical disc anymore?

Would I still have access? Does that matter?

Alright a bit off topic, but going to ask here.

Tried to install Warzone for free through the XBL Store, and when I did, I got all the install from the Modern Warfare release installing instead. I don't own the Modern Warfare physical disc anymore?

Would I still have access? Does that matter?
It defiantly is messed up. Just wait till the December release and you most likely will be able to download that separately.

VN1X

Banned
Got this tonight after being disappointed with battlefield. Wow, so much more fun. And you can see basic stuff like k/d that are not in BF. Awesome!
Quite the high bar you have there for competitive multiplayer games.

Reizo Ryuu

y'all think that if this game doesn't meet activisions sales expectations, they'll go back to supporting CW for another year?

y'all think that if this game doesn't meet activisions sales expectations, they'll go back to supporting CW for another year?
I think Modern Warfare is up again next year.

I really like this years but it does have its moments. The mortars break the new Shipment map and its silly. And it's so fucked up I've gotten crashes and artifacts and unable to leave the game after. But that's the only map that buggered.

edit: and this years net code is the worst Ive seen in years

Last edited:

Artistic

It defiantly is messed up. Just wait till the December release and you most likely will be able to download that separately.
December release?
Not that it matters much anymore, but I went ahead and bought Vanguard this past Friday. Playing like shit, but it's a lot of fun.

I saved about 200GB as well, so I'm grateful for that too lol.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Uncle buys all the CoD's. He said this was the worst one since Advanced Warfare. He went back to playing Cold War. The last CoD I enjoyed was Black Ops 3, hadn't played one since BO4. But I grabbed Cold War and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Uncle buys all the CoD's. He said this was the worst one since Advanced Warfare. He went back to playing Cold War. The last CoD I enjoyed was Black Ops 3, hadn't played one since BO4. But I grabbed Cold War and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Your uncle nailed it. I made the mistake of buying this after reading some positive comments here and there, even though I didn't like the beta much. Vanguard is a mess and Cold War wipes the floor with it. It's much more polished technically, the graphics and HDR are better, and the game just plays better. In Vanguard, the second you're spotted, it's over. There's absolutely no way to "respond", even though in replay, it looks like I was in a gunfight with the guy who took me down. Same thing over and over. Plus Sledgehammer's maps here play "small". It's like you are constantly running through the same level, just with different backgrounds. There's nothing tactical happening, and visually it's bland as hell.

I don't understand why some people didn't like Cold War but I sank a lot of time into it and it plays even better after you've hung around Vanguard. Only Infinite Warfare for me was worse, and that one I just gave up on fast and stopped playing.

drotahorror

Your uncle nailed it. I made the mistake of buying this after reading some positive comments here and there, even though I didn't like the beta much. Vanguard is a mess and Cold War wipes the floor with it. It's much more polished technically, the graphics and HDR are better, and the game just plays better. In Vanguard, the second you're spotted, it's over. There's absolutely no way to "respond", even though in replay, it looks like I was in a gunfight with the guy who took me down. Same thing over and over. Plus Sledgehammer's maps here play "small". It's like you are constantly running through the same level, just with different backgrounds. There's nothing tactical happening, and visually it's bland as hell.

I don't understand why some people didn't like Cold War but I sank a lot of time into it and it plays even better after you've hung around Vanguard. Only Infinite Warfare for me was worse, and that one I just gave up on fast and stopped playing.

His main issue dying so fast it felt like playing on HC basically. And I think he skipped Infinite Warfare. Lol, I forgot all about that one.

Oddly enough he enjoyed WW2 a lot, that's the only Sledgehammer CoD he liked. I personally didn't get a chance to play it.

NickFire

I gave it a try over the free multiplayer weekend. I turned on 120 and it felt really good to me and looked alright too. If I had to describe it, I would say its basically the same game I played 5 and 10 years ago, running really smooth. The presentation (including character models) is just weird though, and reeks of desperation to draw in a different audience than those who made the game so popular.

I can look past the weirdness of it. But I am not sure I can pay full price for an incredibly transparent reskin of the same game.

chixdiggit

Played the free weekend and had a lot of fun with it. Different enough from Cold War to warrant a purchase for me. Just not full price as I will only probably touch the multiplayer and will keep busy with Halo anyway.

Top Bottom