• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling out rumors, insiders and "sources"

Tams

Gold Member
weird squeeze GIF by ELMØ

'Insider' sources here.

Kokoloko85

It's insane to me that a single person outside of Youtube live comments thought Sony would waste Ragnarok on SGF.

TBH a release date at this point shouldnt be special. It was meant to come out last year, so they just better hurry up with it and not try and make it sound like its something ground breaking

adamsapple

Gold Member
It's insane to me that a single person outside of Youtube live comments thought Sony would waste Ragnarok on SGF.

I said the same thing a while back.

I don't see why Sony would opt to have their marquee first party game have a release date announcement at Keighley's event and not their own.

Some of our fellow brethren on GAF were sure Keighley would deliver.

Release date announcement at Geoff's show, gameplay in their own show.

Geoffs got the release date trailer I bet. Perfect timing coming hot off the recent state of play. Keeps the momentum going.

How to game journalism:

- Twitter "personalitiy" (further reffered to as Twit) makes several guesses.

- People that want what Twit said to be true fall over themselves defending Twit.

- People that don't want it to be true fall over themselves denouncing Twit.

- Twit gets clout when the guess is correct. Followers decree Twit to be Nostradamus.

- Twit goes into radio silence when wrong. Followers point out Twit has been correct in the past.

- Don't forget to like a subscribe.

kuncol02

yes I am aware of that and I agree. My point was simply to say that real insiders do exists. Just because one insider is wrong or consistently not accurate doesn't mean that every leak is fake from other individuals and that every rumor should be cast out and called a lie.

I have no clue where those people went. Right now the only ones I believe the most is Shinobi (who's still around) and Tom Henderson.

As far as Shpeshal Ed goes, he is inconsistent, and tends to be very strange. I do not trust his sources, not enough consistency.
AFAIR Schreier has 100% clean track record.
Jeff Grubb also has rather good track record. For now he had two things wrong. Prices of new PSPlus (but rest about that was correct) and Goldeneye which wouldn't be first game moved due to world events (Motorstorm Apocalypse). There is also another thing to consider. He sometimes is reporting about things he is not 100% certain, but in that case he clearly states that it's rumor that he cannot confirm (like Square Enix one)

Pelta88

it's pretty much good guesswork to say we'll get some sort of announcement

They use the broken clock strategy. Their MO is to say "Something" is happening once a week. Eventually they'll be right, which is what the simple minded pay attention to...

While forgetting the other 48 weeks of the year where the exact same prediction was posted, which turned out to absolutely false.

Last edited:

MasterCornholio

Gold Member
They use the broken clock strategy. Their MO is to say "Something" is happening once a week. Eventually they'll be right, which is what the simple minded pay attention to...

While forgetting the other 48 weeks of the year where the exact same prediction was posted, which turned out to absolutely false.

It must be really annoying to follow those people on Twitter. Imagine seeing them post the same prediction week after week. It would certainly drive me crazy.

Top Bottom