• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Callisto Protocol will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 60-70%

• 70-80%

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 90-95%

• 95-100%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eiknarf

Iā€™m gonna post this in two threads so itā€™s fair; The Callisto Protocol review thread and the Atomic Heart review thread:

One year ago this month I was anticipating two titles the most:

The Callisto Protocol and Atomic Heart.

Both are now available and both are getting around the same review grade.

Callisto Protocol is averaging a 73 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 48% recommending it)

Atomic Heart is averaging a 74 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 57% recommending it)

If they are both the same price and I HAD to spend $70 - which would you guys recommend?

sainraja

Iā€™m gonna post this in two threads so itā€™s fair; The Callisto Protocol review thread and the Atomic Heart review thread:

Callisto Protocol is averaging a 73 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 48% recommending it)

Atomic Heart is averaging a 74 on Metacritic and OpenCritic (with 57% recommending it)

If they are both the same price and I HAD to spend $70 - which would you guys recommend?
Which one were you looking forward to more? Start with that one.

Callisto Protocol has received some patches, while Atomic Heart has technical issues. Games are always better if you wait a bit.

Eiknarf

Which one were you looking forward to more? Start with that one.
Literally both.
The reason I got a PS5 was for those two titles. I planned on buying both!!! But now theyā€™re both getting ā€œmehā€ reviews, and figure maybe Iā€™ll try just ONE

But Iā€™m stuck, so instead I bought Ghost of Tsushima The Directorā€™s Cut for the PS5

But I still have an itch to try either Callisto or Atomic

sainraja

Literally both.
The reason I got a PS5 was for those two titles. I planned on buying both!!! But now theyā€™re both getting ā€œmehā€ reviews, and figure maybe Iā€™ll try just ONE

But Iā€™m stuck, so instead I bought Ghost of Tsushima The Directorā€™s Cut for the PS5

But I still have an itch to try either Callisto or Atomic
If you're not in a rush, just wait and maybe one of the two will have a trial on PS Plus or a demo in the store. But you might just have to flip a coin and go with that.

stn

Have you played Dead Space? Callisto is solid but Dead Space is just better in every way. If yes, then I'll say go with Callisto, but I haven't tried Atomic Heart.

Atomic Heart, easy.

Eiknarf

Atomic Heart, easy.
I just got it yesterday- and I donā€™t hate it!! Iā€™m only two and a half hours in, and I have a week to decide if I wanna keep it or get full refund ($64.99 plus tax) back (because o bought a used copy)

If I end up hating it, Iā€™ll just return it and use the money towards the new resident evil 4 remake

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The new deaths

I dont want see this.

šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

Imagine paying extra for this shit

Ywap

Having a hard time recommending Atomic Heart. It was really boring and the design choice to have such quick repair time made me just run past the more open sections (with the copy/paste) houses.

The game has some good visual outdoor scenes. Indoor is in "grey walls borefest territory" šŸ¤®

"The moustach perverts must have dragged her to the maintenence room" šŸ¤£

Reviewed on hardest difficulty level. 5/10

Last edited:

stn

That new permadeath difficulty sounds like HELL. Only because there are a few bullshit sections where a death is nearly guaranteed.

Eiknarf

Having a hard time recommending Atomic Heart. It was really boring and the design choice to have such quick repair time made me just run past the more open sections (with the copy/paste) houses.

The game has some good visual outdoor scenes. Indoor is in "grey walls borfest territory" šŸ¤®

"The moustach perverts must have dragged her to the maintenence room" šŸ¤£

Revived on hardest difficulty level. 5/10
Agree
Just played 6 hours of Atomic Heart and 3 hours of The Callisto Protocol, and I definitely prefer The Callisto Protocol. As a matter of fact, I love The Callisto Protocol so far!! Itā€™s EXACTLY my type of gameplay; great melee combat where you can FEEL the hits, along with having vicious animations!!

The thing you have to do over and over in a game is what matters most.

In atomic heart, itā€™s puzzles, melee and shooting

In Callisto Protocol, itā€™s melee and shooting.

And Callisto does those two things 100% to my liking.

The Callisto Protocol: 8.5
Atomic Heart: 7.2

Beechos

I beat calisto protocol enjoying it more than Atomic heart so far. Something with the controls/animation in atomic heart doesn't feel right.

Wish there was more gunplay in calisto. You can literally beat the game without using a gun except on the bosses. That's how easy it is to dodge and how strong melee is.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

I beat calisto protocol enjoying it more than Atomic heart so far. Something with the controls/animation in atomic heart doesn't feel right.

Wish there was more gunplay in calisto. You can literally beat the game without using a gun except on the bosses. That's how easy it is to dodge and how strong melee is.
I actually enjoy playing The Callisto Protocol more than Dead Space Remake because I can either use my baton up close or guns at a distance or gravity pull whenever!!! In Dead Space, the shooting is great too, but the melee up close sucks. You all know it does! Itā€™s a stomp or a horizontal swing.
Callisto rules!!!
I understand that thereā€™s not as much exploration and roaming.. so what??

Dead space had a good story and setting. Callisto is just "make it pretty and hire a bunch of Hollywood actors". It's soulless and uninspired.

Eiknarf

Hey, I just found out that this now has an update called Dismemberment Mode.

It claims that with Dismemberment Mode ON, you canā€™t earn trophies.

But how do I turn it ON? How do I turn it OFF?

Iā€™m playing it now: is it on? I donā€™t even know

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Hey, I just found out that this now has an update called Dismemberment Mode.

It claims that with Dismemberment Mode ON, you canā€™t earn trophies.

But how do I turn it ON? How do I turn it OFF?

Iā€™m playing it now: is it on? I donā€™t even know
You may have to buy the DLC for that and then I'm guessing it's in the menu's after you do so. I'm not sure though.

Eiknarf

You may have to buy the DLC for that and then I'm guessing it's in the menu's after you do so. I'm not sure though.
I donā€™t think. Itā€™s not a DLC. Itā€™s part of the latest update

I literally popped the game in, and instantly across the screen was Jacobs face/eyes with text reading, ā€œYOU UNLOCKED DISMEMBERMENT MODEā€
(followed by something about not getting trophies with it on)

I donā€™t think. Itā€™s not a DLC. Itā€™s part of the latest update

I literally popped the game in, and instantly across the screen was Jacobs face/eyes with text reading, ā€œYOU UNLOCKED DISMEMBERMENT MODEā€
(followed by something about not getting trophies with it on)
Interesting maybe it's a toggle in the settings? Or it's just in the game now?

Top Bottom