• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Callisto Protocol will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 60-70%

• 70-80%

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 90-95%

• 95-100%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, I'm sorry, but ...

If the fix is just something they could do in a few hours, then ... how could they miss this?!? They literally didn't see it? Nobody tried this on an nvidia graphics card? Couldn't they patch this BEFORE release?!?

I'd be skeptical of any patch unless they're allowing shaders to compile before runtime.

SLB1904

Banned
Might've been posted already, but I'm about to try this out. Voted one of the most helpful reviews on Steam:

V0Phvqg.png
No dlss either? Fuck me

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For games like this just wait for updates and patches. Blindly buying day one is a dumb move, since the internet age has day one reviews and people chatting performance and bug issues.

It's not like Callisto is a MP shooter or FIFA where you got to get on day one, the game is basically the same as last year, you got to level up your player unlocking guns and knowing the maps asap to get an edge, or ensuring you can join online sports leagues (miss the cut off date).

Callisto will be the same game a month from now. And even better, it'll be patched up probably numerous times. Also, after a month it might already go on deal somewhere 30% off.

I hope you guys didnt get influenced by Krafton saying Calisto is a AAAA game.

Well, according to Krafton’s latest Investor Relations briefing, it seems that isn’t the case. Not only does Krafton insist the game is still coming in the latter half of 2022, but they’re making some big boasts about its “AAAA” quality. You can check out the key slide from Krafton’s presentation below, which also includes some information on Project M, the new turn-based strategy game from Unknown Worlds.

IOYkeZM.jpg

Last edited:
For games like this just wait for updates and patches. Blindly buying day one is a dumb move, since the internet age has day one reviews and people chatting performance and bug issues.

It's not like Callisto is a MP shooter or FIFA where you got to get on day one, the game is basically the same as last year, you got to level up your player unlocking guns and knowing the maps asap to get an edge, or ensuring you can join online sports leagues (miss the cut off date).

Callisto will be the same game a month from now. And even better, it'll be patched up probably numerous times. Also, after a month it might already go on deal somewhere 30% off.

I hope you guys didnt get influenced by Krafton saying Calisto is a AAAA game.

[/URL]
Well, according to Krafton’s latest Investor Relations briefing, it seems that isn’t the case. Not only does Krafton insist the game is still coming in the latter half of 2022, but they’re making some big boasts about its “AAAA” quality. You can check out the key slide from Krafton’s presentation below, which also includes some information on Project M, the new turn-based strategy game from Unknown Worlds.

[/URL]
IOYkeZM.jpg
Never saw this before.

But the picture is not misleading apart PUBG. It's actually high quality product that is plagued with, unfortunately, performance issues which will hopefully be fixed soon.
That's the main problem this game got; performance issues. Nothing really else.

MiguelItUp

If you trust him then do what ever he says then, I mostly trust my own taste and currently enjoying this game.

He also likes Horizon games while I hated that game…..but your money, your choice.
Yeah, exactly.

Honestly, when the one reviewer I actively follow on Twitter and YouTube is SkillUp, because in a lot of instances, we saw eye to eye. But I still trust my own opinions over anyone else's, which is how it should be for everyone. It's a much better experience IMO.

But it all depends on what the "thing" is. I too don't care for Horizon whatsoever, the IP does absolutely nothing for me. Nor does Destiny 2. I know he has great things to say about both.

I've loved games that were rated lower than Calisto Protocol plenty of times, some I put more time into than some 90+ rated AAA games. In the end, if you're genuinely interested in something, check it out for yourself, don't let someone else's opinion sway you.

I'm still gonna playthrough this to completion, and I hope I enjoy it, but we'll see!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you trust him then do what ever he says then, I mostly trust my own taste and currently enjoying this game.

He also likes Horizon games while I hated that game…..but your money, your choice.
Yeah, exactly.

Honestly, when the one reviewer I actively follow on Twitter and YouTube is SkillUp, because in a lot of instances, we saw eye to eye. But I still trust my own opinions over anyone else's, which is how it should be for everyone. It's a much better experience IMO.

But it all depends on what the "thing" is. I too don't care for Horizon whatsoever, the IP does absolutely nothing for me. Nor does Destiny 2. I know he has great things to say about both.

I've loved games that were rated lower than Calisto Protocol plenty of times, some I put more time into than some 90+ rated AAA games. In the end, if you're genuinely interested in something, check it out for yourself, don't let someone else's opinion sway you.

I'm still gonna playthrough this to completion, and I hope I enjoy it, but we'll see!
let me know.. both of you have great taste,,

also NFS unbound is the best NFS game since NFSU2

MiguelItUp

yeah but 70 euro's? lol
At this rate the game is already delivering more game time and content than Metroid Dread did, and some other games. So, it could be worse, lmao.

I buy physical copy for my games, worse case scenario, I just sell it back and put the money towards next upcoming game.
Yeah, I do physical console, and with "iffy" PC releases I usually stick to Steam directly as their return policy is pretty damn forgiving.

Dthomp

Was gonna grab today, but between middling reviews popping up last night and Skillups video I think I'll hold out a sale. I hate 70 dollar games to begin with, but the complaints Skillup brings up are things that I generally do not enjoy myself. I don't need a game to be 50 hours, but when I'm hearing 8-10, that it's completely linear, that there is what 1 boss over and over again...I'm getting bad the Order 1886 vibes (And I really enjoyed the ORder as a rental) They spent so much time making a beautiful experience that they forgot to make a good game that is fun to play.

EDMIX

Happy I cancelled that pre-order. Embargo, season pass, death animation mtx shit, DRM shit etc

The signs where all over the place and I think some of you need to keep that same energy. I've never seen a bunch of gamers make so many excuses for practices they spent generations attacking other developers for.

Glen isn't that golden boy folks, leaving from 1 publisher you dislike, doesn't mean he magically became above them or the quality would be equal or anything of the sort. Its clear the best talent from that past studio isn't on board with this title as much as Glen would like to sell you that bit of fanfiction / nostalgia and I don't blame him, he is a great businessman, but as this stands....this is worse them what most publishers put out in regards to disgusting practices to pretend this team isn't cut from that same cloth. Just cause you worked on Dead Space, doesn't mean I'll fork over $70 blindly folks, that doesn't mean the entirety of that team is 100% the entire staff that made that game for me to believe its some equal thing.

Deep sale, used, wait till "GOTY" edition when its actually complete, PS Plus, Extra, Premium etc.

Glen knew exactly what strings to pull, maybe he should have focused on making a complete game as oppose to planning a season pass.

fart town usa

Gold Member
To anyone playing the game.

Is the inventory management and gameplay like Dead Space (action horror?) or does it include puzzles and limited inventory space like RE games (actual survival horror)?

I'm gonna get it regardless at some point but I really want some puzzles, limited inventory would be icing on the cake.

EDMIX

To anyone playing the game.

Is the inventory management and gameplay like Dead Space (action horror?) or does it include puzzles and limited inventory space like RE games (actual survival horror)?

I'm gonna get it regardless at some point but I really want some puzzles, limited inventory would be icing on the cake.

Those survival mechanics were always my favorite lol I like the feeling of conserving ammo or health and having to make that choice of how we tackle the next room and if its worth a bullet lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Callisto has the framework of a good game every year we see games on the verge of greatness than they launch and get bad reviews.

most people are really obsessed with scores and numbers uh !? of course I like to see a high score just for the fact I want it to do good in sells but does it affect what you think about the game ?

rkofan87

Gold Member
What's up with all the reviews saying the Dead Space Remake will be great?

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 5.5 / 10

"If you were hoping this would be the second coming of Dead Space, you’ll need to wait for next year’s remake."

Seems really fishy
this ds looks like a ps4 game and its 70$ f that cp is fun to me i give it an 8 so far.

jaysius

Banned
Dr. Disrespect sucks so bad at this game, it's painful but yet funny to watch, he doesn't understand forced upgrades and forced weapon buys due to game design.

He gets so angry too, it's too funny, he keeps repeating all the same mistakes over and over again.

It's worth a watch for the laughs/cringe.

He thinks the game is great gives gameplay 7.3 and overall 8.3-8.4 probably because he has a connection in the pr or company somewhere.

You can tell he doesn't like it as much as he's saying because the deaths he's experiencing are gameplay issues, and also he sucks.

Last edited:

sainraja

I played some more and I am really enjoying the game. The melee combat system isn't "janky" and it feels good to pull off. Sometimes I feel like people love shitting on games more than actually playing them.

I also really like how you can hear the other characters via coms on your controller speaker. Loved that in Deathloop and glad to see it being used well here.

Last edited:
True, man. If you’re into space horror you’ll love this anyway. It looks grim, gory, tough, hard and drenched with atmosphere. I can understand that it’s not for everyone and for the masses and that’s why I’ve been surprised by the amount of money they put it in.

If only they’ve could crossed over this with with, I don’t know, Spider-Man. /s

Well, a game for the audience is a game for the audience and that alone makes the investment worth it. So for who this game appeals to most, you guys are eating well. I'm not inclined to believe a single negative review about the game. What little I've seen isn't for me, but it does look pretty damn high quality. Incredible animations in multiple different scenarios, amazing cutscenes and visual effects, fantastic character models. It's a truly amazing looking title, I must say.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I played some more and I am really enjoying the game. The melee combat system isn't "janky" and it feels good to pull off. Sometimes I feel like people love shitting on games more than actually playing them.

I also really like how you can hear the other characters via coms on your controller speaker. Loved that in Deathloop and glad to see it being used well here.
For people struggling with the dodge or QTE there are some options like auto dodge, auto aim and auto QTE in the accessibility menu.

It's weird how a lot of reviewers are struggling with the difficulty. They didn't check the options?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Wow this games looks and plays awesome on PS5. When you start in the prison level it's very impressive.

Sony VASG did great work with the visuals👌

And Deacon St.John is in the game ❤ :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

decisions

Something weird is happening to me with this game.

I think it is the best looking game of all-time probably. Some environments look so lifelike I think it is weird to play it in 60fps. The smoke effects and character motion are giving me the soap opera effect.

Obviously I can feel it is better to play at 60fps, but considering the pace of the combat is very slow it really doesn’t matter in this game.

Coming off of Ragnarok’s 120fps mode, it was tough to get used to 30 again. If you’re playing on PS5 I implore you to give yourself 30 mins on quality mode and see if your brain gets used to it. It’s been a while since I’ve felt so blown away by a game’s visual that it feels worthwhile to slowly prod through the environments and take it all in. Reminds me of when I first played Dead Space oddly enough!

Just played for 3 hours straight. Not sure what reviewers were thinking so far. That was amazing.

ahtlas7

The marketing team is AAAA. They really sold this sloppy mess to the gaming public. Bravo to them! Lot’s of hype built over a few trailers, some which were not well received.

SkylineRKR

It sounds like this game is stuck in 2010 and has all the frustration and uneven things of games like OG Dead Space trilogy, RE5 etc. Which is why I know I will like this game a ton. What worries me though is the combat, apparently you can't disengage from fights. That the game is linear, like DS2, doesn't have to be an issue per se. A lot of games branch out to sandbox or semi open. I think a linear game is a welcome addition.

Top Bottom