• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol vs Dead Space Remake

Which one are you more excited for?

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
the poll results are not going to age well

dead space remake powered by frost bite will save us
I wouldn't jump into conclusions.

Previews for this remake did give me a bit of a pause since there are some things about it that look a bit bootlegged. Plus, you know, come on it's fucking EA. It's pretty safe to expect that they're gonna do *something* to fuck it up.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
dead space remake will be the better game
But this is poll is about which game people are more excited for?
And people were/are more excited for Callisto Protocol.
How and why would one game "being better"(something subjective) change or sour what someone is excited for?

Why would what im more excited for not age well because Dead Space Remake is subjectively a better game. (Not to me).
Im already sold on Callisto and after the opening im just waiting for the patch to finish downloading so i can continue.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
But this is poll is about which game people are more excited for?
And people were/are more excited for Callisto Protocol.
How and why would one game "being better"(something subjective) change or sour what someone is excited for?

Why would what im more excited for not age well because Dead Space Remake is subjectively a better game. (Not to me).
Im already sold on Callisto and after the opening im just waiting for the patch to finish downloading so i can continue.
why?

because todd howard said so

SkylineRKR

Previews for this remake did give me a bit of a pause since there are some things about it that look a bit bootlegged. Plus, you know, come on it's fucking EA. It's pretty safe to expect that they're gonna do *something* to fuck it up.

Thats my main concern. I expect some MTX scum to be thrown in there. But even if they do throw in MTX skins and suits and upgrade points etc, if the main game and layout stays unaltered, this should be better than CP by default which seems to be a completely linear and shallow game. I am interested in it still, but what I've seen of the combat and the shallow evade mechanic is a huge turn off to me. Look what you could do in DS, dismember and use as projectiles.. Thats all still in.

FBeeEye

Banned

At least it will run the same on all platforms.

Black_Stride

dude calm down , is the wait for the patch making you angry or what?
Totally calm.
Catching up on Chainsaw Man and not really planning on jumping back in till night fall anyway.

Just curious what you are talking about?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Thats my main concern. I expect some MTX scum to be thrown in there. But even if they do throw in MTX skins and suits and upgrade points etc, if the main game and layout stays unaltered, this should be better than CP by default which seems to be a completely linear and shallow game. I am interested in it still, but what I've seen of the combat and the shallow evade mechanic is a huge turn off to me. Look what you could do in DS, dismember and use as projectiles.. Thats all still in.
Yeah, that plus I'm curious to see what new things did they add in terms of new puzzles or some alterations to the levels. It's obvious that the game won't be exactly the same but I'm hoping that the general structure of it will remain intact.

That's my biggest concern, really. That they're gonna cut out huge chunks of the campaign (kinda like they did in RE3 remake), and because EA is EA and EA is the worst, we won't even find out about it until the game is actually out. It's not that far fetched because they made a really huge deal out of the fact that they're making some changes to the original levels but remain tight-lipped about any cut content because they know that people will throw a shit fit about it.

When I see articles like this, it only raises my concern about stuff getting cut out: https://www.thegamer.com/dead-space-remake-cut/

Black_Stride

you dont know todd howard?
I know of him.
MV5BZjAwYTc4NTAtNDk4YS00ZTJmLWIxMTUtNzg3NGI3MDFjMzI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXZ3ZXNsZXk@._V1_.jpg

What has he got to do with this thread or whether people are/were excited for The Callisto Protocol.
Did he say something about it?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm guessing Dead Space remake ends up with scores in the mid 80s. It's still not going to be an all-timer (few remakes are), but it's going to be super solid and evolve the original game in intuitive ways.

ungalo

I just voted Callisto Protocol. Right now, not when the topic was created.

Even if it's a mediocre game (didn"t play it yet but assuming it's the case) i think it's still better than a remake by an unknown studio feeding on a classic game made by a studio killed by EA.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just voted Callisto Protocol. Right now, not when the topic was created.

Even if it's a mediocre game (didn"t play it yet but assuming it's the case) i think it's still better than a remake by an unknown studio feeding on a classic game made by a studio killed by EA.

Motive Studio is a new studio by name, but it's comprised of industry veterans from a bunch of good studios.

It's amazing how often the original creators of huge franchises leave their company and create a spiritual successor everyone is extremely excited for, then ultimately disappointed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My answer is Resident Evil 4 Remake, but I’ve played Dead Space twice through since it launched. I’m still playing TCP. TCP came out what yesterday? I don’t know about you, but I like to give it more than a day.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
YESSSS!!! They weren't lying! The PC patch actually works! Getting 100+fps 1440p Ultra (w/o RT) on a 3080, about 60-80fps w/RT. This game is beautiful. Haven't seen a single second-long stutter like the ones I was getting every few seconds last night!

I voted for Callisto Protocol in this poll, AFTER Callisto Protocol released and the 18min Dead Space Remake trailer dropped.

Sorry, but Callisto Protocol is an awesome game. I'm at the end and it's a solid 8.5. In a year not overshadowed by the likes of Elden Ring and Ragnarok, it might be my GotY.

I don't trust EA enough to deliver a satisfying and fully featured Remake to the OG Dead Space.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Dead Space remake is here, and of course we can't help but remember that just one short month ago, we were all blasting off into space in Striking Distance Studios' The Callisto Protocol. One can't help but compare the two, given that The Callisto Protocol is not only a spiritual successor to the Dead Space franchise, but that both games were directed and co-directored by the same person! With that said, check out a few side-by-side scenes of Dead Space 2023 running alonside The Callisto Protocol.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I hated the combat in Callisto Protocol so much. I mean, I really hated it.

I just don't get why it was designed so oddly. 3rd person action/survival horror has been done competently 1,000 times before, just do that. Its like they tried to re-invent the wheel but made it square.

I finally had to stop after a couple hours, those melee combat mechanics just took the whole ship down for me. It might have been okay if melee wasnt such a big focus of the game, but no fun was being had. Which sucks cause I actually thought the atmosphere and look of the game was amazing.

But looking forward to trying Dead Space, I never played it originally so this is a first run for me :)

Callisto was a solid 8/10 for me and I’ll be starting remake tonight.

The original DS was great so I can’t see me not liking this one.

I hope we get another CP game down the line.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Motive’s Dead Space remake improves on an already excellent original, while its spiritual successor The Callisto Protocol isn’t quite in the same orbit.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have yet to play Callisto Protocol, but I just finished Dead Space remake and LOVED it so much. It will be hard to top that one.

I'll pick up CP once it goes on sale for XSX. That game has stayed pretty steady at it's full price.

RagnarokIV

Both on sale on Steam.

42 for DS
35 for CP

Bearing in mind the price difference, which should I go for?
I like Dead Space 1, I like Josh Dumah.
I want an old school linear horror game.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Both on sale on Steam.

42 for DS
35 for CP

Played the first 30min of CP, if the combat stays the same over the course of the game (melee that is), and it looks like that's the case, get DS.

Sleepwalker

Both on sale on Steam.

42 for DS
35 for CP

CP combat is pretty simple and the game is not scary at all but I like it. If its horror or more complex gameplay youre looking for get dead space.

WoJ

I was more excited for the Dead Space remake because the original is one of my favorite games ever.

I played TCP and am almost done with the DS remake. DS is better, but I really like TCP especially as a new IP. It's a solid 7.5/10 in my opinion. Would benefit from more fluid combat and enemy variety, but there's a lot to like.

Top Bottom