• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camra award ban for Essex pub displaying golly dolls

Toots

Gold Member
For anyone who doesn't know about gollywog dolls, just watch the Extras s1ep5, you'll learn and laugh at the same time.

Fools idol

Banned
Sigh. What a racist dickhead. This js british pub culture at it's fucking worst for this kind of shit.

It gets worse the further north you go. Pubs filled with 'gammons' aka, middle aged white dudes who drink every single day, have a diet of kebabs and fish and chips, drive a white van at work and have generally far right and racist views.

For those outside of the UK it's what you might have heard the term 'Chav' short for Council House Assosciated Vermin. It's a very distinctly british sub culture of it's own.

Braag

Reminds me of the logo for a Finnish candymaker's licorice candy. Right-older logo, left-newer:

Bildskolan_121_fazer.jpg

They did remove it completely over ten years ago though.

They also had this one until 2011 for their "Chinese chocolate/rice candies":

7fbfcf58-14e7-4e1c-a6cc-d29238fde6fa

Finnish and English people seem to have some stuff in common.
GKLEFuA.jpg

You forgot these. Things were crazy back then.

Interesting wormhole history, turns out, of all people, it was the Nazi’s who first found them offensive.
Sounds more like they didn't want their pure white aryan kids playing with dirty black dolls.
As opposed to wow this is an offensive doll of a black person so stop playing with that.

Last edited:
CAMRA is the Campaign For Real Ale, an organisation who publishes a guide to British pubs and breweries and give out awards for those as well. They're saying they won't consider this pub for either of those going forward as a result of this.

A Golly Doll, or Golliwog as it's more commonly known, is a doll that's made to resemble a stereotype of a black person. They were popular in the UK decades ago but for obvious reasons are less popular now.
Wow just learned what a Golly doll is. What the fuck.
So do people in the England use Golliwog (holy shit Siri didn’t put a redline underneath or try to auto correct it) as a derogatory name for people with dark skin tones?
Golliwog lol, evey time I say it out loud it sounds like I have speech impediment lol.

DKehoe

So do people in the England use Golliwog (holy shit Siri didn’t put a redline underneath or try to auto correct it) as a derogatory name for people with dark skin tones?
Golliwog lol, evey time I say it out loud it sounds like I have speech impediment lol.
Wog is a racial slur, which is maybe why some people shifted to calling them Golly Dolls. Wog is also a really old-fashioned one that you don't really hear people say these days, kind of a relic of the British Empire days.

You really don't see the dolls about a lot now and I don't think you'd really hear someone call another person a Golliwog.

Last edited:

Eotheod

We had them in Australia too, but they were used as a caricature of Indigenous peoples. My mum had a few growing up in the 60's, though they are most definitely out of fashion unless you look in a museum. That's where I'm fine with the banning/removal of, as long as they are available for the public to still learn about but just not be widely available.
Wog is a racial slur, which is maybe why some people shifted to calling them Golly Dolls. Wog is also a really old-fashioned one that you don't really hear people say these days, kind of a relic of the British Empire days.

You really don't see the dolls about a lot now and I don't think you'd really hear someone call another person a Golliwog.
Come to Australia and you'll hear wog that's for sure. Go far enough inland and you'll get blackie sometimes but not abbo anymore (thankfully), or I heard one bloke at the pub yell out to his friend tonight "oi darker come here cunt." Good ol' Australian racism.

Tams

I regret having some sympathy for these idiots before.

I don't subscribe to cancel culture, and while of very questionable taste, I don't think displaying golliwogs should be banned it prevented.

But what has come out about this couple, and their subsequent actions shows that they really are nasty, racist cunts.

How in the hell did I get to 50 not knowing that's what chav was short for lol
Because I don't think anyone really knows what or even if it stands for anything.

I grew up with 'council house and violent'. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot to back up that stereotype/sentiment.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I regret having some sympathy for these idiots before.

I don't subscribe to cancel culture, and while of very questionable taste, I don't think displaying golliwogs should be banned it prevented.

But what has come out about this couple, and their subsequent actions shows that they really are nasty, racist cunts.

Because I don't think anyone really knows what or even if it stands for anything.

I grew up with 'council house and violent'. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot to back up that stereotype/sentiment.
I'm all for letting people make a dick of themselves so cancel culture is a no no but c'mon man he looks like the type o cunt that would put up a Golliwog and think nothing off it which means he's a cunt, I haven't followed this so what has come out about them? Go on surprise me lol

The council estate I grew up in we called them Spides and Millie's and because I liked my metal and my folks wouldn't let me run with the local scumbags I had a right few run ins over the years, big hard men when there's a load of em, wee grovelling cunts when you run into one on his Todd lol chavs I imagine are no different

Top Bottom