• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can’t access my microsoft store windows 10 games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So was spending some time on a boat to do some work. And i decided to take the laptop with me do some forza or something else during my break.

none of my fucking games i paid money for on that shit microsoft store work in offline mode.

forza horizon 3
Forzo horizon 4
Gears 4
Gears 5
Gears tactics
Minecraft dungeons.
Ori and the will of the wisps.

all useless and give an error when i try to boot.

did some googling.

how the fuck is this user friendly ?
holy shit.

it’s hilarious that i should just have pirated that list so i don’t have to jump through all these dumb ass loops. Just to access my fucking games. 😂😂

Meanwhile a pirate just yoinks all those games from the internet. And plays them offline just fine with zero issues.

fuck paying costumers i guess 🤣

/rant

steam is just fine tho 👌 allmost all my games work fine offline. thanks gaben 👍

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
5bop03.jpg

junguler

Banned
you don't buy shit, you just borrow them. if it can't be played offline or made backup of you might as well not have them.

That's just so bad, last night my internet went down and I could not play anything (I'm full digital and have 300+ games across 3 generations on Xbox, excluding other digital content like games from Gold, Gamepass, EA Play). Had to share internet via my phone then it worked. But I should not be having to go through that shit I paid for them. Never had that issue on my PC, not on Steam, Origin or Ubi launcher.

Fix this Microsoft. Let my license to be valid for at least a week after I go offline.

Spukc

That's just so bad, last night my internet went down and I could not play anything (I'm full digital and have 300+ games across 3 generations on Xbox, excluding other digital content like games from Gold, Gamepass, EA Play). Had to share internet via my phone then it worked. But I should not be having to go through that shit I paid for them. Never had that issue on my PC, not on Steam, Origin or Ubi launcher.

Fix this Microsoft. Let my license to be valid for at least a week after I go offline.
Nah link it to my mobo or whatever. Give me 2 devices like playstation whatever..

just do not put paying costumer through this shit man.

it feels so bad when you can’t use stuff you paid for. 100% eye opener for me here 😄

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Never had that issue on my PC, not on Steam, Origin or Ubi launcher.

Unless this is a new change you absolutely must have internet and log-on to your Steam/Ubi account to put it in "off-line" mode.

mxbison

It's by far the worst store/launcher there is, nothing comes close.

So bad that I didn't even extend my 1€ Gamepass sub until they released the Xbox PC App. (Which is still trash but atleast somewhat servicable)

Last edited:

Spukc

It's by far the worst store/launcher there is, nothing comes close.

So bad that I didn't even extend my 1€ Gamepass sub until they released the Xbox PC App. (Which is still trash but atleast somewhat servicable)
I got every game on that list on deep discounts..

but even doing that i still feel scammed by microsoft.. 👌😄

pr0cs

It really is a shame, because the store itself sucks, and the XBOX PC App *STILL* uses the windows store as the backend, so if the store is fucked up you can't use the xbox app either. The store itself is bland and uninspired which is bad enough but it is so unreliable
  • Often fails out with cryptic messages that have multiple failure meanings online and require google-fu to search and still often provide no insight into what failed
  • Updates are extremely painful, often you will need to redownload the WHOLE package again, yes all 50+gb
  • If updates fail, you will have to reinstall which can mean (and I've experienced this myself) you will LOSE ALL YOUR SAVES with no opportunity to back them up while the App (xbox/store, no difference) reinstalls everything
  • Bandwidth is also very unreliable, if the store is "working" on your PC the bandwidth will be great, if it is NOT working you will get abysmal transfer rates, with again, no way to understand why. On my Steam account I can get 20+ mbit transfers, on same Laptop the store gives me 2.1 mbit max. On my PC sitting right next to the same laptop I get 30+mbit from the store.
The store is why a LOT of gamers give Microsoft a bad name, it's just a piece of shit and really hasn't improved in years.

Last edited:

Spukc

Then how are you posting to an internet message board if you have no internet on this boat?

If you say you're posting via your phone, couldn't you tether your phone to activate offline mode on your laptop?

Or is that too much work to avoid a thread like this?
WAS

mr smartypants

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean you didnt read how it works before taking off? thats kind of on you. But also just throw a hotspot off your phone for a quick initialization.

Spukc

Steam requires a similar config to enable offline mode:

Now you know the Windows Store does as well.

tenor.gif
Well that’s weird this laptop is basically brand new and i never did jack shit to enable offline play besides installing my games on it 🤨

-edit-

heck i was even unlocking steam achievements offline

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Steam requires a similar config to enable offline mode:

Now you know the Windows Store does as well.

tenor.gif
Well that’s weird this laptop is basically brand new and i never did jack shit to enable offline play besides installing my games on it 🤨

-edit-

heck i was even unlocking steam achievements offline

Thats because the online DRM of Steam games are on a per game basis on varying degrees. There are games that don't even need you to be logged in to steam to run.

MS store games on the other hand, i'm not sure but i think their DRM applies to every game. I know it applies for MS games for sure.

Anyway, i avoid microsoft store like a plague for reasons like this.

Last edited:

Schmick

Did you set you Offline Permissions to On before you went boating?

After that you need to run the games you want available (whilst online) once.

Last edited:

Spukc

Did you set you Offline Permissions to On before you went boating?

After that you need to run the games you want available (whilst online) once.
so i have to boot each of them once
and then never think of it again ?

asking because steam just worked. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

How come xbox games can be played offline then?

elliot5

Didn't want to make a whole thread about this just in case it was a simple solution I missed:

How do you see all the Gamepass games in the MS App Store in Windows 10? I see a lot of "collections", but no collections for Gamepass games.

This is such a no brainer that I must be missing something?
There is an Xbox app that has game pass stuff more easily accessible. I would recommend using that instead.

however in MS Store select "gaming" and there should be a game pass tile "Access to over 100 PC Games". Click that, then click on "Games" to see a collection of stuff.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned

Bleh..... MS Store has always sucked, i only use it for Gamepass which surprisingly works well, but I will never EVER purchase a game from their store ever again after 1 mistake years ago.

The MS folks trying to tell you it's your fault are just doing their jobs to make sure they polish that xbox nob 24/7 regardless of actual customer experiences being generally awful

Last edited:

Spukc

Didn't want to make a whole thread about this just in case it was a simple solution I missed:

How do you see all the Gamepass games in the MS App Store in Windows 10? I see a lot of "collections", but no collections for Gamepass games.

This is such a no brainer that I must be missing something?
You have an xbox app for windows 10.
Where you can not access all your games once you paid for them 😉
Yes it’s that retarded.

3 interfaces deep.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam only.

It's like meth - not even once
OP behold the power of GOG

Since I started gaming on my laptop in situations where I may or may not have internet, it's the only way to roll. Click to start game -> game starts. Game doesn't care if you're connected to the internet or not, or whether you jumped through hoops to put your client in some kind of weird archaic mode.

Spukc

OP behold the power of GOG

Since I started gaming on my laptop in situations where I may or may not have internet, it's the only way to roll. Click to start game -> game starts. Game doesn't care if you're connected to the internet or not, or whether you jumped through hoops to put your client in some kind of weird archaic mode.
Love GoG yeah even better.
I prefer to get games from them if possible.
Shame it lacks games. :(

Schmick

You play the games anyway right? All you need to do is set the Offline Permissions to On and never think about it again unless you havent played the game yet. Its by no means perfect. But you can play offline.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Love GoG yeah even better.
I prefer to get games from them if possible.
Shame it lacks games. :(
True, although I feel like a lot of this comes down to developers / publishers not wanting to release DRM free versions. GOG's store is much more heavily curated, so it's unlikely to see all the bundle trash and XXX anime games that Steam has, but there are still massive holes in their catalog that could probably easily be filled if publishers and developers wanted to play ball.

elliot5

I just checked my settings and my PC defaulted to having that offline setting enabled. I don't recall ever toggling that on.

I just disconnected my internet and launched game pass games offline just fine. It "just worked" for me... same thing as the xbox "drm". I guess it's super inconvenient if you get caught with your pants down, but it's not irredeemably busted.

Spukc

You play the games anyway right? All you need to do is set the Offline Permissions to On and never think about it again unless you havent played the game yet. Its by no means perfect. But you can play offline.
Thanks will give this a try later.
hope this works..

paying for something and then being locked out of it. Is such a shitty feeling

MiguelItUp

The Microsoft Store is a joke TBH. I know they're talking about revising it sometime soon, but man, they better revise it HARD.

When Game Pass was first available I wanted to play Master Chief Collection after they did those online updates, and for whatever reason it just wouldn't install. I just kept getting an error. I don't even remember what I did to fix it, but it was the most annoying and frustrating thing in the world. So many people said the "fix" was to reinstall Windows, and they weren't kidding. LMAO.

Top Bottom