• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can’t use the 2.4GHz WiFi band on wife’s PS5 or controllers refuse to work

This has been happening since the last update. The only way to get the controllers to work, I have to hardwire the PS5 (can’t really do that right now) or use the 5GHz WiFi band (which doesn’t have a strong enough signal to prevent her from lagging online). She used to happily use the 2.4ghz WiFi band and it worked for her, but that’s no longer an option and she’s pretty upset about it. I don’t blame her. Sony isn’t doing anything about it either.

I checked my router and I’ve restarted it as well as checked for updates (it’s up to date) and I’m using WPA personal password security on it.

I also reinstalled the system software as well as restored default settings and nothing works. I’ve also updated all the controllers and even tried a DualShock 4.

This is super frustrating. I’m usually good at figuring stuff like this out and helping her, but I feel like I’ve tried everything short of replacing my router (which is fairly new, like a year old).

I just don’t get it. My PS5 doesn’t have this issue because I’m wired in (router is in my room)

Any suggestions???

Used-ID

Try setting the wifi band to auto - or to fixed band if auto didn't work.
See what other 2.4Ghz devices are around and muck with their settings or move them or turn them off when not in use.
Adjust the antennas on your router (if your router lacks external antennas well.....) as that might get you better 5Ghz signal
Don't use the controllers wirelessly. I'm pretty sure they'll work over USB.

Shoulda gotten a frequency husband instead. Not some weak outdated wifi.

Put this inside your con sole, and then put in inside your wifi. Should relive the issue.

Sounds like your next door neighbor got some new tech and you get to suffer. I had this issue last year and switching wifi channels fixed it for me.
I don't think Auto option actually does anything on my Netgear router so I just pick a channel that works.

Skifi28

Any suggestions???
-It's a conspiracy. Abandon all forms of wireless technology and go wired for everything, get rid of your smartphone.
-Get a new wife, you're probably bored of her anyway.
-Change your internet provider but keep the exact same modem, that'll show them.
-Get an xbox and re-buy your entire library, who needs a PS5.

Last edited:

Duchess

I've had success with powerline adapters:

It'll depend on the wiring in your house; I've known a couple of people who have had terrible performance from them, due to their house needing to be rewired, but mine have been great. Full speed, with the reliability of a wired connection.

Shmunter

There is something off with ps5 wifi, at least some of them. Running an ac1900 and get lag spikes and packet loss with the router in the same room.

I’ll have to try a different brand of router next, but everything else is fine so I’m not hopeful.

Alphagear

Sounds like your next door neighbor got some new tech and you get to suffer. I had this issue last year and switching wifi channels fixed it for me.
I don't think Auto option actually does anything on my Netgear router so I just pick a channel that works.

Yep this is it. Happened to me and changing Wi-Fi channel manually resolved it.

clintar

-It's a conspiracy. Abandon all forms of wireless technology and go wired for everything, get rid of your smartphone.
-Get a new wife, you're probably bored of her anyway.
-Change your internet provider but keep the exact same modem, that'll show them.
-Get an xbox and re-buy your entire library, who needs a PS5.
Trouble GIF

Yeah sounds like 2.4ghz interference
I just tried everything in that link. Weird thing is, everything works properly until it gets to the upload test, and that's when the controller disconnects. If it's interference, I couldn't find the channel that will make it work.

RaZoR No1

I just tried everything in that link. Weird thing is, everything works properly until it gets to the upload test, and that's when the controller disconnects. If it's interference, I couldn't find the channel that will make it work.
IMO one of the last options would be to use the 2.4GHZ legacy modes (just b or b/g) and reduce the bandwith width to 20mhz (slower and more stable).
Otherwise using a cable would honestly be the best option.
BTW: maybe it would help us to let us know, what router you use/have

There is something off with ps5 wifi, at least some of them. Running an ac1900 and get lag spikes and packet loss with the router in the same room.

I’ll have to try a different brand of router next, but everything else is fine so I’m not hopeful.
If you are in the same room, run a wire.

When you say everything else is fine, most network uses are more tolerant of changes in latency or of packet loss. Gaming isn't one of them.

Shmunter

If you are in the same room, run a wire.

When you say everything else is fine, most network uses are more tolerant of changes in latency or of packet loss. Gaming isn't one of them.
Except e.g ps4 plays games perfectly on the same wifi

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I believe you can change the channel and frequency… most routers have it as Auto.

I always set mine manual to not have interference from neighbors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom