• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can a bar owner user their car to block mine if I park outside the bar?

Toots

Gold Member
That bar owner just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about the legal system of my state (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in your state where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in my state, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by getting your tires slashed and windows smashed in.
What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to get drinks there , nor will they purchase any of their other menu items. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but this bar owner has alienated an entire market with this move.
They should publicly apologize and allow people to park in front of the bar, or they can kiss their business goodbye.
Jsisto Jsisto : "I rest my case"

All the supreme court judges : "Best plea we ever heard."

Landmark decision the next day that change the right to self defense to the right to violently overreact at any perceived slights but only IF you can easily afford a battery of flesh-eating lawyers (approx. 2K US$) to get you out of minor slashing and tire ironing trouble.

I am talking in the US. It was at night and all the regular parking spots were taken. This is like 10pm at night. There were a bunch of cars in a parking space with many spaces within the area free right next to the movies. This was actually behind a bar I later found out. There was no sign that this was a tow zone. No sign that this was for employees only no sign that says no parking so I was like hey nice and parked there and saw my movie. I come back and a car is parked right in front of me stopping me from moving. Still plenty of space around otherwise. The bartender saw me trying to squeeze out and failing and said she purposefully did this because this was employee parking and she would not move the car. It took a lot of polite coaxing over an hour to convince her and I think her employees actually were the ones who convinced her to move.

Is that legal to just hold my car there as she was intending to? I already said my bad I didn't know and there was no sign or anything. Isn't that illegal detainment or something? I may have had to pay a fine but I was about to call the police to get her to move I wonder what their input would have been.
No it's not legal. She is parking illegally behind you. You both could get tickets. Whether or not she is breaking some other kind of law in terms of harassment / threatening, I don't know.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bars are strange but kinda have good food. Stopping someone from driving is weird.

demigod

So in my situation police would have sided with the lady blocking my car and stopping me from leaving the premises if she so chose?

Also don't they need to have signs about tow zones and such?
Yeah you need tow signs in businesses. She isn’t allowed to block you in, just like any store isn’t allowed to block you in. You should’ve called the cops on her ass.

Durien

Personally, I would have taken the crowbar out of my trunk and smashed all of her windows and slashed her tires. I can easily afford a battery of flesh-eating lawyers to get me out of minor trouble - can you, bartender?
You see what happens, bartender? Do you see what happens when you f!@# a stranger in the ass? This is what happens!

Top Bottom