• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can an Xbox Series S REPLACE my Gaming PC?

Vasto

Will a Mouse and Keyboard work on the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X? In this Xbox Series S Review we will take a look at the Xbox Keyboard and Mouse Support! I tested the Xbox Series S Mouse and Keyboard Fortnite and Xbox Series S Mouse and Keyboard Warezone! To see which is better Xbox Series S vs BUDGET Gaming PC!

00:00 - Xbox Series S vs Budget Gaming PC
00:23 - How to Setup Mouse and Keyboard Xbox One
01:04 - Xbox Series S Mouse and Keyboard Demo
01:35 - Microsoft Edge on Xbox
02:01 - Xbox Series S Mouse and Keyboard Fortnite
02:25 - Xbox Series S Review

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not all games supports mouse and keyboard.

You could get a Xim adapter for that, but it doesn't change the buttons in the game so you'd have to remember that, and also it's not native so it doesn't work 1 to 1 like on pc.

If you want a PC then buy a PC. You will only get dissapointed in a console if you want to play with mouse and keyboard.

HTK

Banned
I've been going back and forth with Mouse and Keyboard on console since PS5 and Series X came out. Games like Warzone feels great with mouse and keyboard at 120fps, although not all games support it. I'm mostly disappointed that Warzone still doesn't have FOV, 80 FOV feels weird at least for me when using mouse and keyboard.

Warzone obviously still doesn't have next gen upgrade that would probably enable FOV slider and better visuals in general. I think more shooters will adopt mouse and keyboard on console going forward especially with crossplay. These consoles are already hitting rock solid 120fps, it just needs more optimized next gen games with FOV.

My ultimate setup is 42 OLED playing shooters on mouse and keyboard on my PS5 at 120fps with FOV 103. :)

DaGwaphics

Depends on how old and creaky your gaming PC is. I only have a GTX 960, so, the XSS is an improvement over that. Better CPU and the NVMe drive too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Eventually I will get one of those wireless keyboard / mouse combos where you can switch between a few devices with a button press.

It is a weird video. He's trying to use XSS as a PC, not really talking about in terms of gaming PC except for using KB&M.

I don't think I'd ever want to try that. Just get a mini PC and hang it on the back of the monitor for your normal PC duties and game on your Xbox.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Depends on how old and creaky your gaming PC is. I only have a GTX 960, so, the XSS is an improvement over that. Better CPU and the NVMe drive too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Eventually I will get one of those wireless keyboard / mouse combos where you can switch between a few devices with a button press.

Those are typically bluetooth and not supported by consoles, FYI.

elliot5

Why would anyone want to use an xbox as PC? Buy a PC, if you want PC gaming.
The point I think was for $300 you can get a decent gaming system with monitor, mkb support. The biggest limiter is the games supporting mkb. Some games don’t like Forza (though why not use a controller anyway) and some games do like Halo and Fortnite. If all games supported mkb natively on Xbox as they do on PC (I honestly don’t know why they don’t) then a Series S would be fantastic for “PC” gaming

DaGwaphics

Sure.....and that will work, but you are going to have to move the adapter to the device you want to use it on. The multiple device selection feature is strictly bluetooth.

No they do support multi device with unified adapters on most of their models. You just need a separate unifying adapter for each device.

Fbh

I'm sure it's a great alternative as long as you don't care about most benefits of Pc gaming like more customization, mods, emulation, access to multiple storefronts, good regional pricing, upgradability, automatic backward and forward compatibility .............or any of the non gaming related things you can do with a PC like image/video editing, productivity software, best internet browsing experience, etc.

Don't forget to like and subscribe and ring that bell so you don't miss any of their new videos.

mrcroket

Why would anyone want to use an xbox as PC? Buy a PC, if you want PC gaming.
Because is waaay more cheap that even a budget PC. I have a gaming pc and I'm not interested on use a console like a PC but I get the point of use a xbox connected to a monitor like a PC for gaming, multimedia, homeworks and emulation. With edge chromium based you have access to all chrome apps like google docs, email, classroom...

AJUMP23

The point I think was for $300 you can get a decent gaming system with monitor, mkb support. The biggest limiter is the games supporting mkb. Some games don’t like Forza (though why not use a controller anyway) and some games do like Halo and Fortnite. If all games supported mkb natively on Xbox as they do on PC (I honestly don’t know why they don’t) then a Series S would be fantastic for “PC” gaming
I know, but it just seems that for a few hundred more you can get a good gaming PC.

Topher

Gold Member
No they do support multi device with unified adapters on most of their models. You just need a separate unifying adapter for each device.

But that requires software to be installed on the device to work and there is no console versions of that software.

DaGwaphics

But that requires software to be installed on the device to work and there is no console versions of that software.

You only need the unifying software for initially pairing the keyboard with the additional unifying reciever. Once it's paired you should be able to take the receiver and plug it into any Windows/Android (I'm assuming Xbox works as well) when paired in Windows mode or Mac if paired in Mac OS mode.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its pretty crazy that you can do the majority of computing tasks on series consoles.

I really dont know why Microsoft dont allow a dual boot mode on series consoles. People will probably say reasons like "security" but im not convinced that would be an issue.

Topher

Gold Member
You only need the unifying software for initially pairing the keyboard with the additional unifying reciever. Once it's paired you should be able to take the receiver and plug it into any Windows/Android (I'm assuming Xbox works as well) when paired in Windows mode or Mac if paired in Mac OS mode.

I think that will work as long as you use it with one device and move the receiver to the device you want to use it on. I still think moving between different devices with their own individual receiver requires software to be installed. But I'll admit I'm not 100% sure that is the case now that I think about it. I may have to try this out.

Its pretty crazy that you can do the majority of computing tasks on series consoles.

I really dont know why Microsoft dont allow a dual boot mode on series consoles. People will probably say reasons like "security" but im not convinced that would be an issue.

I wonder if that would open up Xbox to be used as a bitcoin mining PC though.

Xbox series x being more powerful than a gaming pc terrifies people.

That's not what this video is about.

Last edited:

elliot5

I know, but it just seems that for a few hundred more you can get a good gaming PC.
Maybe but it’s always the case with pc that if you spend a little more you get something better.

The amd 6500 card is I think roughly a series S in rdna2 specs and is like $250 alone at LEAST in this crazy market.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I think that will work as long as you use it with one device and move the receiver to the device you want to use it on. I still think moving between different devices with their own individual receiver requires software to be installed. But I'll admit I'm not 100% sure that is the case now that I think about it. I may have to try this out.

I've done it in the past with a chromebook and desktop computer, unless they've changed the way the system works it should work fine with no software installed on anything. The switching is fairly low-tech on these underneath it all, the keyboard just has three possible keys to use with unifying receivers instead of one and will connect to the receiver paired with whatever key is active. You only need the software if you want to have custom key mappings for each device, etc.

mrcroket

Maybe but it’s always the case with pc that if you spend a little more you get something better.

The amd 6500 card is I think roughly a series S in rdna2 specs and is like $250 alone at LEAST in this crazy market.
The problem is that is not a little more, if you want a PC with a 6500xt, a ryzen 3700 and nvme storage (even just 512gb), memory, motherboard, case and power supply...

elliot5

The problem is that is not a little more, if you want a PC with a 6500xt, a ryzen 3700 and nvme storage (even just 512gb), memory, motherboard, case and power supply...
Exactly. $99 for windows unless you go bootleg too.

I love Pc gaming and will always have a decent rig, but a cheap console is good value for casual audiences.

I hope gamersnexus or ltt or someone makes a video trying to match the Series S with similar specs on the cpu/Gpu/ssd (now that rdna2 budget is here) and compare with native Series titles. Would be interesting. And for good measure compare to ultra budget at the same price point or making nips and tucks in certain areas

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It would be awesome if microsoft allowed a dualboot/partition for actual windows 10.

I've often thought that a laptop with an XSS mode would be a good idea. Give you full Xbox support with a functional PC. The price could be higher (probably double at least) and that would allow room for an additional drive of some kind to run Windows from. Though power draw is a bit high for a laptop, but not unheard of.

Another option would be a little surface desktop with XSS mode.

AmuroChan

I don't know about others, but my gaming PC isn't used exclusively for gaming. It's also used for everything else that I would use a computer for. So even if the Series S can run every game that my PC can, it can't replace any of the other function that I use my PC for.

If this question is being asked from a practical standpoint, I don't see how that applies to most people unless most people have a separate gaming PC and a general use PC.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Such a dumb question. I don’t have a PC and sometimes I find myself wishing I had one for the thousand games that aren’t available on console.

Braag

Weird. People should just buy the system they feel most comfortable playing games on or go with whatever their budget is.

Buggy Loop

That’s a fucking cute clickbait content for making money. It’s that fucking simple to make a living on YouTube uh? Ask a random stupid question, and fumble for a couple of minutes without any conclusive answer?

The answer is no. Simply no. There, I saved a few minutes of your time.

Top Bottom