• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I Play With My Gamepass Account Between PC and XBOX

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So, I have Gamepass ultimate. If I log in on my PC and xbox, can I play with my brother online?

Thanks
Yes I believe you can do this so long as the game has cross play and you have your Home console set correctly.

*edit - I have not actually tried this with a PC and Xbox, only 2 Xboxes

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I was wondering this too now that I’ve got 2 Xbox’s in the house. I’m assuming you have to pay 2 subscriptions?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
So, I have Gamepass ultimate. If I log in on my PC and xbox, can I play with my brother online?

Thanks
it doesnt allow you to share on the same account. different account yes, but not the same account.

I cant play my pc gamepass, if my little brother is using my xbox.

Batiman

Banned
just use the one set as your home console with the account with no Gamepass/Gold.
They then get access to all your stuff and you can log in on the other machine with your account. You can play the same game together that way.
legal-is-that-legal.gif

Sleepwalker

Yeah its easy.

the true endgame for me is playing on 2 pcs and 1 xbox at the same time, I already have 2 different profiles sharing my pc gp and ive managed to get into a game at the same time but didn't manage to get into an online game together. just the xbox with 1 pc.

RespawnX

Yeah its easy.

the true endgame for me is playing on 2 pcs and 1 xbox at the same time, I already have 2 different profiles sharing my pc gp and ive managed to get into a game at the same time but didn't manage to get into an online game together. just the xbox with 1 pc.
Not really endgame, you just need to understand how the Xbox/Microsoft Store license system works. I only ran into two games with an second control system which avoids PC license sharing wihtin a family and so simultaneous gaming.
/Edit: of course you can only have one divice playing one game on the same account at the same time.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes if on either system you are going to play on different account, thus that one playing on PC, probably needs to be where the active game pass subscription is.

Sleepwalker

Not really endgame, you just need to understand how the Xbox/Microsoft Store license system works. I only ran into two games with an second control system which avoids PC license sharing wihtin a family and so simultaneous gaming.
/Edit: of course you can only have one divice playing one game on the same account at the same time.

So we did this with world war z

PC1 gp acc: got in game in party with acc 2
Series X: set as home console with different profile got in game with acc 1
PC2: family sharing acc, managed to launch game and play online at the same time, but wasn't able to join the same party.

Honestly it was such a weird situation that led to that, that it doesn't even matter if theres a way to make it work anymore.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Damn, this thread has been somewhat helpful and I've been thinking about setting up my old Xbox One S for my son and making a children's account for him. I just wasn't sure if he'd be able to use my game pass.

elliot5

Damn, this thread has been somewhat helpful and I've been thinking about setting up my old Xbox One S for my son and making a children's account for him. I just wasn't sure if he'd be able to use my game pass.
Yep just make the one s your home console and when he signs in on his account he gets your entitlements and can play with you/download GP games. You just sign in on your account elsewhere

eNT1TY

Only with ultimate i think which includes both distinct services that are gamepass and gamepass for pc. I may be wrong though as i often tend to be.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I do this to play with my son. He uses the X1X in the living room, I use the PC in the office. One GamePass sub. We’ve done it with Sea of Thieves and a few other games.

Oh, I should mention he has his own Xbox account, which I believe is necessary for us to play together.

//DEVIL//

- Make Xbox home console (google that shit)
- Install game on Xbox from your Gamepass account
- Have your brother login to that console from a different account
- Play games
You sure this works ?

Because I remember I had 2 xbox ( series X for me and S for my son ) . I used to log in to my account on his xbox and then he can use his account to play games. but as soon as I try to play on my xbox, it will ask me to either kick him out of his session or cancel from my side.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You sure this works ?

Because I remember I had 2 xbox ( series X for me and S for my son ) . I used to log in to my account on his xbox and then he can use his account to play games. but as soon as I try to play on my xbox, it will ask me to either kick him out of his session or cancel from my side.

He has to play on your home xbox with his account. Then you login on the "non" home xbox with your main account. Assuming I have that right in my head......

//DEVIL//

He has to play on your home xbox with his account. Then you login on the "non" home xbox with your main account. Assuming I have that right in my head......
This is strange. Because right now my account on his xbox is not "Home" xbox. yet he still login to his account and play. But I will try it your way. sit his xbox as home console and use mine to login to my account. hopefully this works

Riky

$MSFT
This is strange. Because right now my account on his xbox is not "Home" xbox. yet he still login to his account and play. But I will try it your way. sit his xbox as home console and use mine to login to my account. hopefully this works

It does work, my son shares my Gamepass Ultimate on my account and has done for a long time, he gets online play and access to all my games both purchased and on Gamepass.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Could also wait to see if anyone else confirms or clarifies, just in case.

Riky

$MSFT
The mistake people make is they think their account which has Gamepass Ultimate needs to be logged in on the Home console, it doesn't.
As long as your main account is present on the console and it's set as your home console you do not need to log in.
Set the other account to log in automatically the one without Gamepass Ultimate, then log your main account in on the machine you want to play.
This way you don't get any conflicts with your main account being logged in on two separate machines.

elliot5

If it’s telling you to be kicked out of the Xbox session to play on PC, that just means you’re “signed in” (aka a controller was active) with your profile. Not that your account needs to be fully removed from the xbox.

Say sign me out of xbox and play on Pc and it should be fine

FrozenFlame

My brother uses my account (with GPU) on his xbox and I can still play on my pc with the same account. Only issue that I had was that the invites to play games (on pc) ended up the xbox, so it was tricky to play online with friends unless I hosted.

Mercador

- Make Xbox home console (google that shit)
- Install game on Xbox from your Gamepass account
- Have your brother login to that console from a different account
- Play games
One question if I may; can I configure GPU on my PC prior the Xbox Series X? Can't find one in store right now but I would like to play TWW3 with GPU.

Mercador

There's no "locking it up", gamepass ultimate means console + pc + gold, and it's tied to your microsoft account, so wherever you log in with it, you have gamepass.
Great and my daughter will be able to use gamepass titles as well on her account without the need to purchase of another gpu right? Thanks!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Great and my daughter will be able to use gamepass titles as well on her account without the need to purchase of another gpu right? Thanks!
she'll only have gamepass ultimate access on her account, if your gamepass ultimate account is on the system that is set as "home".

Mercador

she'll only have gamepass ultimate access on her account, if your gamepass ultimate account is on the system that is set as "home".
Yeah so that's why I was asking if setting up the GPU on PC prior to have an Xbox would cause any issue; would I be able to set the Xbox as "home" thereafter ? Sorry, I don't know how to explain it better in English.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
She has access to everything that's set to your home.

So you log in on xbox, set it as home, she logs in and can use your stuff.

If 2 pcs then you log in on store on both and she logs into game pass app.

Mercador

She has access to everything that's set to your home.

So you log in on xbox, set it as home, she logs in and can use your stuff.

If 2 pcs then you log in on store on both and she logs into game pass app.
So we could play Age of Empires on two PCs with the same GPU? That sounds even better!

Mercador

But wait, I could do that even with my father PC ? How they validate where I'm truly logged on? IP address?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah, but If I logged on his computer, will he had access to my GPU with his account? Sorry to bother, I just wondering what's the difference..?
As mentioned above, only the "home" system gets to enjoy gold or gamepass that another account on that system has.
On pc this is slightly different, you need to use the gamepass account to log into the store, whoever wants to use the xbox app then has to log into their own account.
A "home" system also allows for offline play, and you can set your "offline device" as well for pc.
So you can not have multiple xboxes or multiple pcs that get the gamepass accounts offline benefits; one xbox and one pc.
If the pcs are always online, sharing the account's access should work as long as it's logged into the microsoft store.

Mercador

As mentioned above, only the "home" system gets to enjoy gold or gamepass that another account on that system has.
On pc this is slightly different, you need to use the gamepass account to log into the store, whoever wants to use the xbox app then has to log into their own account.
A "home" system also allows for offline play, and you can set your "offline device" as well for pc.
So you can not have multiple xboxes or multiple pcs that get the gamepass accounts offline benefits; one xbox and one pc.
If the pcs are always online, sharing the account's access should work as long as it's logged into the microsoft store.
Alright, I guess I'll have to fiddle a bit to get my head around it. If I get it right, it means that my daughter will have to connect to her own Xbox account on PCs if she wants to play with me to a PC game on both PCs. I still have to find a XSX but I'll probably use GPU on PC this very weekend. If we can play together at Forza or Minecraft Dungeons, it would be nice, that's for sure.

elliot5

Alright, I guess I'll have to fiddle a bit to get my head around it. If I get it right, it means that my daughter will have to connect to her own Xbox account on PCs if she wants to play with me to a PC game on both PCs. I still have to find a XSX but I'll probably use GPU on PC this very weekend. If we can play together at Forza or Minecraft Dungeons, it would be nice, that's for sure.
yeah basically if YOUR account has GPU, you set the devices as your Home PC and Home Xbox. Then, secondary accounts on the PC and Xbox can use those benefits without having their own unique subscription. Then, you can play on Xbox and she can play on PC under one sub, same game. And Vice Versa. I find it easier to have the subber like you on PC and the alternative playing on Xbox, but both should work.

Mercador

yeah basically if YOUR account has GPU, you set the devices as your Home PC and Home Xbox. Then, secondary accounts on the PC and Xbox can use those benefits without having their own unique subscription. Then, you can play on Xbox and she can play on PC under one sub, same game. And Vice Versa. I find it easier to have the subber like you on PC and the alternative playing on Xbox, but both should work.
Thanks! So if I want two PCs to work on the same game, I got that I kept one connected to my GPU (on my Xbox gamertag) and the laptop "offline" of the gamestore (on her gamertag). Sorry, I feel dumb but once I'll try it, it will probably make more sense for me.

elliot5

Thanks! So if I want two PCs to work on the same game, I got that I kept one connected to my GPU (on my Xbox gamertag) and the laptop "offline" of the gamestore (on her gamertag). Sorry, I feel dumb but once I'll try it, it will probably make more sense for me.
I personally haven't tried two PCs so I'm not sure how it works there. I think you would need to sign in to the Laptop and set it as your main PC and she can play on her gamertag and then you play signed in on your gamertag on your pc. Windows seems funkier with how it shares entitlements compared to xbox

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
console + pc:
1. log in with gamepass account on the console and set the console to home.
2. every account on the home system now benefits from the gamepass account, even offline; you can only have one home console at a time, and can only switch 5 times per year.
3. log into the microsoft store with the gamepass account on the pc, now every account on this pc that logs into the xbox app benefits from the gamepass account; if this is your first pc, then it will also default to offline device, if not you will have to log into the ms account website and designate a pc as offline device.

pc + pc:
1. log into the microsoft store with the gamepass account on pc1, now every account on this pc that logs into the xbox app benefits from the gamepass account.
2. log into the microsoft store with the gamepass account on pc2, now every account on this pc that logs into the xbox app benefits from the gamepass account.
3. every account on the pc designated as "offline device" will also benefit from the gamepass account offline; you can only have one offline device at a time.

Console + console:
Basically just log into both and set the one you wish the share the benefits with as home, this however will take away one of the console's ability to access content offline.

Mercador

Thank you so much R Reizo Ryuu

Since my daughter will always use the laptop, maybe I should set up the laptop as the "main" PC ? She never plays on my gaming pc, she prefers the laptop.

Top Bottom