• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can people please understand that Switch 2 WON'T be more powerful than Steam Deck?!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Being ARM based just completely changes the price/performance ratio though.

It's silly to make predictions on what Nintendo will be able to do for ~$300 or whatever compared to Valve using an x86 based architecture.

PhaseJump

Banned
The devkit will be 4 Virtual Boys and 4 rumble paks taped together. 99% of Nintendo's talent will retire and die of old age before it reaches full potential.

You heard it here first, folks.

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I agree with OP. I don't think there's any chance that Nintendo would invest in hardware as powerful as the Deck. They're pretty much locked in with Nvidia unless they want to take a drastic departure, and that means a minor upgrade of hardware with Switch 2 while relying heavily on DLSS.

This is Nintendo we're talking about. Don't over think it or expect something cutting edge. That's just no longer what they do.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I gotta admit it has been really entertaining watching the hype cycle about upcoming Nintendo hardware over the last couple decades. It’s always the same thing:

- fantasizing about how great the available tech will be and how amazing it would be if Nintendo uses it

- wildly varying rumors about how powerful the new system will be, from “cutting edge” to “overclocked version of last gen hardware”. Nintendo fans choose to believe the in most far fetched dream specs

- first reveal shows games that are not technically impressive and Nintendo sidesteps any talk about hardware capabilities. Nintendo fans insist that it’s way too early to make any judgments and the hardware must’ve been an early prototype

- vague statements from developers saying they like the hardware. Fanboys latch on to these statements as proof of how powerful it’ll be.

- final system + games release, they look no better than the first reveal (or are even downgraded)

-websites do tear downs of the hardware + hi res die shots and confirm it’s very weak, frugal hardware. Fanboys continue to insist there is some kind of secret new tech or coprocessor chip or something

- never mind, graphics don’t matter. Art style trumps graphics

- repeat

Banned
Being ARM based just completely changes the price/performance ratio though.

It's silly to make predictions on what Nintendo will be able to do for ~$300 or whatever compared to Valve using an x86 based architecture.

not only that, Nintendo produces higher quantity and can sell with little to no profit

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
not only that, Nintendo produces higher quantity and can sell with little to no profit

Yeah better prices and also just an OS/apis built specifically for the hardware.

On the bolded though Valve does the same thing with all of their hardware efforts. They are not devices designed for direct profit.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo tried to do that game with the GC. It failed. Done. They no longer do it.
i swear to god...
the GCN failed because of a multitude of reasons, not because it was powerful. Bad storage, controller lacking buttons, kid friendly design & games in the most mature age of gaming, and the existence of the PS2 made it plain impossible for any other home console to gain a foothold at the time. If nintendo made the Wii as powerful as the 360 and kept the motion control gimmick it would have succeeded anyways

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why do Nintendo fans constantly do this to themselves?
Nobody was saying that in the other thread...
Most people just don't get how impressive games like Mario Odyssey and Luigi's mansion 3 are considering how weak the switch is.

The steam deck is not a crazy target. Esp. 2 years later! But they don't actually need to go that far to get a huge advantage over the original switch. Games will absolutely, no doubt about it be more advanced than PS4 titles. Just having much newer graphics api and hardware features will fulfill that.

Dude the switch technically has less memory bandwidth than Xbox 360, and the CPU is not much better. People never learn, nor appreciate what is possible on any hardware that is not the bleeding edge.

Oh except PC, because that doesn't count. 🤔
CPU is actually worse... All of the 8th gen consoles CPUs are worse than the 7th gen consoles CPUs, weird, I know. But Nintendo put all their efforts on GPU power instead, that even counting Wii U, all they had was better GPU + shitload of RAM compared to PS360.

I must be wrong on this, but isn't that what Nintendo normally do? Don't they tend to spend more on GPU in their systems given a "good enough" CPU?

If that's the case they need to "switch" (pun intended) their mindset since 9th gen consoles have a way better CPU this time and that can make scalability very difficult.

S0ULZB0URNE

I ran off with your mum to show her my import Dreamcast collection. She's into it AND ME.

But seriously... I've always been here. Or are you talking about the other thread? Did you miss me xxxx

Also yeah, I can see it running the next nvdia chipset. I'll go upto PS4 power. Happy now everyone?

To the other poster: There were people saying they think Switch 2 will be on the same level as PS5. Why would I make that shit up?

Also to the other poster I am fully informed of Nintendos history. I've been buying their hardware since the NES days. Powerglove included. It's not hard to understand this.
cmeznba.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
if the only 7th gen console that existed was the PS3 youd have a point
No, AFAIK it was the 360 CPU too... unless I misread or got misinformed, maybe the 360 wasn't too far or barely below? I don't remember, but what I know is that CPU-wise, 7th gen consoles were at least slightly better than 8th gen consoles. The thing is that 8th gen consoles have way more RAM and better GPU, also more PC-like architecture that helps nullify that difference. If there's an actual dev here I'd appreciate some confirmation of this.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No, AFAIK it was the 360 CPU too... unless I misread or got misinformed, maybe the 360 wasn't too far or barely below? I don't remember, but what I know is that CPU-wise, 7th gen consoles were at least slightly better than 8th gen consoles. The thing is that 8th gen consoles have way more RAM and better GPU, also more PC-like architecture that helps nullify that difference. If there's an actual dev here I'd appreciate some confirmation of this.
Wait what? No that is not true. The Jaguar netbook CPU in PS4 + Xbox One was pathetic but it was still significantly more powerful than the PowerPC CPUs used in 360 and PS3

I'm glad - the games would just take longer to make and many more would just cancelled with the excuse of higher budget required. Something average or slightly above is fine with me. Already have plenty of devices delivering cutting edge graphics yet somehow I still spend most of my time on the less graphically intense games

CPU is actually worse... All of the 8th gen consoles CPUs are worse than 7th gen.
That's wrong. PS4 and xb1 cpu are significantly better than Xbox 360. PS3 is, at its theoretical max near 6 cores of the PS4 CPU, but it's much harder to get that performance out of it and most of the time the Cell just helped with graphics rendering rather than physics or world density.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's wrong. PS4 and xb1 cpu are significantly better than Xbox 360. PS3 is, at its theoretical max near 6 cores of the PS4 CPU, but it's much harder to get that performance out of it and most of the time the Cell just helped with graphics rendering rather than physics or world density.
Ok, that I can understand, check my response above

Last edited:

SSfox

Why OP looks like piss off? people have the right to think what they want to think. Also it's nice that people have high expectation hardware wise even it comes to Nintendo, not saying it will have any effect necessarily, but it's better than having low expectation. Actually maybe people of the latest are the reason Nintendo hardware have been the way it was since post GC with Nintendo.

Knightime_X

TC you're wrong.
The reason why GC "failed" as you say was because mini dvd wasn't good enough for most games.
Ps2 had full size dvd support which made production much cheaper and less development time compared to mini dvd.

Also, Iwata didn't like good hardware because he believed weak shit sparked better games.
This isn't the 90s anymore.

At one point in time Nintendo had hardware superior to PC.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Thanks, I’ve been digging around but it’s hard to find apples to apples comparisons. I swear at the time there was some comparison showing roughly double the single-threaded performance for typical game code.

Cell was super powerful on paper since it had so much vector capabilities but it required a lot of specialized expertise to make use of it. Jaguar was better at the stuff that actual games needed the CPU to be good at (e.g. branch-y single threaded code) thanks to out-of-order execution and lots of cache.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Nintendo should bring their ecosystem to the 21st century before thinking about power. They need to find a way to bring all those great games from past generation to their current console.
Their first party output was carried by the Wii U this gen. Having access to legacy games would you improve their back catalogue tenfold.

Ok, that I can understand, check my response above
With regards to flops performance for graphics tasks, yeah the cell was stronger than even Intel i7 for a while.

But that's misleading because you don't use that i7 for graphics on PC, same with the jaguar CPU in PS4. For traditional CPU functions, a core 2 quad from 2007 completely destroyed the cell.

The main core in the cell processor is most comparable to a pentium 4 which was notoriously bad.

MrA

Banned
Nintendo should bring their ecosystem to the 21st century before thinking about power. They need to find a way to bring all those great games from past generation to their current console.
Their first party output was carried by the Wii U this gen. Having access to legacy games would you improve their back catalogue tenfold.

cdc.jpg

WiiU games make up like 15% of switch first party games

Last edited:

Boy bawang

It should be noted that there's been a hack and the DLSS source code was leaked

from that leak, one can find that a folder called nvn2 exists; nvn1 was the switch API, so this at least strongly implies that Nvidia is working on a follow up which will include DLSS. There's a performance threshold to use DLSS, so we can at least assume PS4 levels in raw graphical abilities, plus a much better CPU.

Last edited:
People think it will be? Nintendo hasn't made a powerful console since the gamecube...it'll be a switch that can probably play more games in 60... I don't expect 4k at all.

Mister Wolf

It sounds be noted that there's been a hack and the DLSS source code was leaked

from that leak, one can find that a folder called nvn2 exists; nvn1 was the switch API, so this at least strongly implies that Nvidia is working on a follow up which will include DLSS. There's a performance threshold to use DLSS, so we can at least assume PS4 levels in raw graphical abilities, plus a much better CPU.

Them using DLSS is going to be great. Improved image quality, top tier anti-aliasing, and increased performance. There is no downside.

People think it will be? Nintendo hasn't made a powerful console since the gamecube...it'll be a switch that can probably play more games in 60... I don't expect 4k at all.
Why would anyone want Nintendo to focus on 4K? At most they should some sort of DLSS 4K mode for when you dock it but games should be render at much lower resolutions.

Even rendering at an internal resolution of 1080p might be a waste of resources on portable mode if the console includes DLSS hardware.

Last edited:
Why would anyone want Nintendo to focus on 4K? At most they should some sort of DLSS 4K mode for when you dock it but games should be render at much lower resolutions.

Even rendering at an internal resolution of 1080p might be a waste of resources on portable mode if the console includes DLSS hardware.
Remember people thought the switch pro would be 4k docked...I hope the next console has a docked only version as a casual nintendo gamer tho.

Remember people thought the switch pro would be 4k docked...I hope the next console has a docked only version as a casual nintendo gamer tho.
4K is so underwhelming, people sensibilities to IQ are greatly exaggerated as well.

Most people apparently praise cloud gaming an at least from my experience playing on xCloud what you get is a terribly compressed 1080p image, like as if you were playing over youtube.

The other day SE announced FFVII Rebirth with terrible compressed 1080p footage as well, hardly saw any complaints.

Last edited:

FStubbs

4K is so underwhelming, people sensibilities to IQ are greatly exaggerated as well.

Most people apparently praise cloud gaming an at least from my experience playing on xCloud what you get is a terribly compressed 1080p image, like as if you were playing over youtube.

The other day SE announced FFVII Rebirth with terrible compressed 1080p footage as well, hardly saw any complaints.
Because on many screens, 4K is indistinguishable from 1080p unless you're sitting close to the screen.

But ... we're talking about a group of fans who will be saying 4K makes their eyes bleed when TV manufacturers push 8K.

daveonezero

Banned
Because on many screens, 4K is indistinguishable from 1080p unless you're sitting close to the screen.

But ... we're talking about a group of fans who will be saying 4K makes their eyes bleed when TV manufacturers push 8K.
exactly.

This is why I think the next switch may not be as powerful as people want but with how technology is Nintendo could keep the 720p portable mode and then upscale and super sample when docked

If they stay with great frame rates and efficient scaling the power isn’t going to matter much and battery will still be good.

marjo

Actually, they'll say that 8k is a complete waste... until they actually get an 8k TV, at which point they'll suddenly realize that 4k makes their eyes bleed.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm tired of the "its all about the gameplay". If that's the case, no reason for a switch 2, right?
I agree with OP though, it's likely going to be worse, despite the fact that it should be better. Lets just give Nintendo another pass for sub par hardware again, why not?

daveonezero

Banned
I'm tired of the "its all about the gameplay". If that's the case, no reason for a switch 2, right?
I agree with OP though, it's likely going to be worse, despite the fact that it should be better. Lets just give Nintendo another pass for sub par hardware again, why not?
How was the switch sub par compared to other hardware in the market?

Oh right nothing existed and it’s amazing for a a lot of PC games and Nintendos owns game

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
How was the switch sub par compared to other hardware in the market?

Oh right nothing existed and it’s amazing for a a lot of PC games and Nintendos owns game

I'm not sure what to say if you think X1 was cutting edge when it launched. Good god, the chip is now 2723 days old. The chip was over 2 years old when the switch launched.
It's exactly this kind of Nintendo apologists that I was alluding to.

Top Bottom