• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the mechanics of TLOU II just be lifted into TLOU I (if it is remade?)

cormack12

Gold Member
I came across this in suggested articles, and it highlighted how this may mean the TLOU I Remake may actually be true with the advancements made in TLOU II

Specifically, the listing brings up that the job will assist in implementing existing gameplay systems into a new framework, which is the sort of language someone might associate with a remake. If the Last Of Us remake is actually happening, as well, Sony must be quite confident in its success.

Naughty Dog hasn’t announced any new games that it’s working on since the release of The Last Of Us 2, but if they are indeed working on a remake of the original Last Of Us, it fits that Sony is looking out for game designers that can help with such a thing.

The question mainly is do you think TLOU I campaign would have to be changed or at least some levels reimagined to cope and take advantage of all the extra stuff that was added like:

- The ability to jump
- Dogs
- Shamblers
- Rope
- Advanced stealth
- Aerial kills
- Stalkers (on all fours)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They would still have to redesign the encounters to fit, but if they're going to the lengths of actually remaking TLOU then you'd think that wouldn't be an issue anyway.

That said I think the rumour of them actually remaking TLOU is bullshit anyway, that game looks and plays absolutely fine on a PS4, it's not even that old.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think a fair few mechanics would easily translate over but a few others would need considerable work.

The golfing mechanics in TLoU2 would take a fair bit of work for example, as would the adjustments to door frames to allow modern videogame women to fit through them with there hulk like torso's

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
of course not in a straightforward way, new mechanics of traversal would require redesigning of all levels to accommodate that

Ellery

Ye definitely. Though it is probably a lot more work than we think it is, but the work from TLOU2 is there and the gameplay difference are actually quite big.

I still wonder if this remake rumor is some sort of misinterpretation and maybe we see a PC/Steam version of the first The Last of Us.

If there truly is a TLOU Remake then it hopefully is PS5 exclusive (not cross gen) and looks like a game from 2025.

Paasei

Gameplay wise part 2 was a lot better than the first. Still quite basic in stealth mechanics, but not necessarily bad.

I just don't really like the dogs. The only good thing about them is that you had to keep moving, which added some more excitement. But everything else is just annoying when it comes to dogs.

Would like to see the other added mechanics in the original. Stalkers are cool and the dodging was nice during melee combat.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Speaking of the rope, which was underutilized in TLOU2, I was watching that Dying Light 2 and they had a section of running cables to generators and it made me wish it had the physics of what we saw in TLOU2.

Kupfer

The golfing mechanics in TLoU2 would take a fair bit of work for example, as would the adjustments to door frames to allow modern videogame women to fit through them with there hulk like torso's
Steve Martin Reaction GIF

Get over it kiddo.

Belthazar

If they redesign the encounters a bit I don't see why not. Hopefully they also change the puzzles around a bit to be more interesting like on 2.

emivita

What about AI? TLOU 1 companion's AI was laughable, 2 didn't improve a lot, but it was less noticeable because you spend like 70% of the game alone. They need to focus on that first and foremost.

assurdum

Banned
"Mechanics". They added a couple of new moves but mechanics are exactly the same of the first. Jeez every time I rethink of the sequel can't avoid to repeat how I felt irritate by the melodrama of the game storytelling. Sorry people, I can't resist.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think a fair few mechanics would easily translate over but a few others would need considerable work.

Golfing?
You can golf in TLOU2?

OrionNebula

Golfing?
You can golf in TLOU2?
How did you fall for that?

On topic : it’s not suggested (at least not yet) that, if true, it would mean all the TLOU2 mechanics. I can see prowling and perhaps jumping to some extent, but I don’t see rope being implemented in a manner that would really work (and not just as a forced gimmick) in a 1:1 remake, as the environments weren’t originally built with that in mind. This would require considerable re-work (but not impossible). There’s also, if true, nothing to suggest, as of yet that this would also be a 1:1 remake, too

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How did you fall for that?

On topic : it’s not suggested (at least not yet) that, if true, it would mean all the TLOU2 mechanics. I can see prowling and perhaps jumping to some extent, but I don’t see rope being implemented in a manner that would really work (and not just as a forced gimmick) in a 1:1 remake, as the environments weren’t originally built with that in mind. This would require considerable re-work (but not impossible). There’s also, if true, nothing to suggest, as of yet that this would also be a 1:1 remake, too

I dont know lol, u snowball, play guitar, playing some mini golf does not seem impossible.

Also I stayed away from all the memes and shit talk about TLOU2, the object that abby used to kill Joel did not stick out to me at all, My attention was solely focused on the emotional impact of the act itself.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I hope we can crawl like in TLOU2. I don't think they should bring everything from the sequel.

Yeah why else would they remake it?
Because Sony probably wants to release something with the HBO series and it would be easy money.

Last edited:

Ellery

Speaking of the rope, which was underutilized in TLOU2, I was watching that Dying Light 2 and they had a section of running cables to generators and it made me wish it had the physics of what we saw in TLOU2.

Ye that is what I wondered as well. Given how much time they probably spent on those rope physics they for sure didn't use it much throughout the game. Wished they had sprinkled a few more uses here and there.

RyRy93

They would still have to redesign the encounters to fit, but if they're going to the lengths of actually remaking TLOU then you'd think that wouldn't be an issue anyway.

That said I think the rumour of them actually remaking TLOU is bullshit anyway, that game looks and plays absolutely fine on a PS4, it's not even that old.
The original TLOU does look fine but if it was remade to the graphical standards of the sequel I imagine it would be well worth it for ND from a financial perspective

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The original TLOU does look fine but if it was remade to the graphical standards of the sequel I imagine it would be well worth it for ND from a financial perspective
I wonder what they would do with the facial animations. I dont't think they used motion capture for faces in the first game so they would have to completely redo the animations so they would look good with new graphics.

Bramble

I’d suggest you fire it up again. Game absolutely looks like a PS3 remaster and is nowhere near ND’s other work on PS4. It would be amazing to replay with TLoU2 graphics.

FingerBang

This is absolutely not something I need, having played the original twice and loved it. But if they're doing a proper remake, that expands on the original and adds more stuff, why not.

I have to say though, Naughty Dog games are great for their story, so it bothers me that I already know what happens there. I don't think it makes any sense to change the ending, but I wonder if they're adding anything that happens between the games, making it a TLOU 1 + 1.5 (which is probably how Nomura would call it: TLOU Part I + I.5 Final Mix Plus)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I have a feeling if this remake is true, they are going to change and add alot of things.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I’d suggest you fire it up again. Game absolutely looks like a PS3 remaster and is nowhere near ND’s other work on PS4. It would be amazing to replay with TLoU2 graphics.

Is that small leap - and it IS small in the grand context of video games - really going to be enough to justify making and selling the thing? Will people really buy it?

I just don't believe the rumours whatsoever, I really don't believe ND think it's worth their time to totally remake, and TLOU Remastered: Remastered is just silly. Game looks totally fine, it's like 8 years old, we don't need to be remaking games from 8 years ago yet.

kyliethicc

I came across this in suggested articles, and it highlighted how this may mean the TLOU I Remake may actually be true with the advancements made in TLOU II

The question mainly is do you think TLOU I campaign would have to be changed or at least some levels reimagined to cope and take advantage of all the extra stuff that was added like:

- The ability to jump
- Dogs
- Shamblers
- Rope
- Advanced stealth
- Aerial kills

They won't add dogs or shamblers. Doesn't make sense narratively.
The stalkers could get updated sure, they're in the first game.

Break glass? Sure.
Go prone? Sure.
Rope puzzles? Sure.
Better stealth? Sure. They can upgrade the AI.
Craft silencers? Idk.
Explosive arrows? Doubt it.

Joel jumping? Aerial kills? Nah. Not his style.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

They should remake the story in the style of TLOU2 as well! Would be so good to tell the story truly how it should be with all the new world views Dr. Uckmann has learned since TLOU1 came out.

Happy Denzel Washington GIF by Bounce

DeepSpace5D

- The ability to jump
- Dogs
- Shamblers
- Rope
- Advanced stealth
- Aerial kills
Especially mechanics like going prone and crawling under vehicles and other hard to reach areas, I’m not sure how that could be implemented into the first game unless the levels were redesigned with those kinds of spots and vehicles added.

Top Bottom