• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the PS5 install a game off of the disc while in Rest Mode?

Eiknarf

Banned
Quick question.

I bought Returnal and Dead Island 2 on disc. When ya pop em in the PS5, you can see that it’s gonna take a few hours to fully copy/install…

Will the PS5 continue to copy/download if I leave the disc in and put the PS5 in Rest Mode? (This way when I come back it’ll be installed ? )

I own a ton of physical copies and I don't think so. As the disc needs to be spinning to install the data. Though I'm not sure I've ever actually tried it. You download any size update though.

And I don't think they ever really take more than an hour to instrall. Usually 45 minutes at the max.

Eiknarf

Banned
Few hours? Damn, I'm so glad I purchase my games digitally nowadays. It takes no longer than a few minutes, 20 minutes tops.
Ummmm they take longer when buying digitally. I’ve tested it both ways. Trust me. The disc-way is faster

But yeah, when copying off a disk, there’s a certain point (around 20% copied) where you could start playing.
It’s called, “PLAY NOW” or “READY TO PLAY” while it’s still downloading/copying off the disc.
So, I did that with Atomic Heart - the prompt said, “READY TO PLAY” (so I could play off the desk while it’s still downloading/copying), but some of the features weren’t ready: Haptic feedback wasn’t working, some actions were delegated to a different button or trigger etc. So I don’t know if that’s a problem with Atomic Heart only or a potential issue with all games??
So now I like to play it safe and wait until the disc is fully copied and installed - and YES, that takes 3 or so hours.

It’s all because I had a bad experience with Atomic Heart when it got to the “READY TO PLAY” section of the install. Things were not working-

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Ummmm they take longer when buying digitally. I’ve tested it both ways. Trust me. The disc-way is faster

But yeah, when copying off a disk, there’s a certain point (around 20% copied) where you could start playing.
It’s called, “PLAY NOW” or “READY TO PLAY” while it’s still downloading/copying off the disc.
So, I did that with Atomic Heart - the prompt said, “READY TO PLAY” (so I could play off the desk while it’s still downloading/copying), but some of the features weren’t ready: Haptic feedback wasn’t working, some actions were delegated to a different button or trigger etc. So I don’t know if that’s a problem with Atomic Heart only or a potential issue with all games??
So now I like to play it safe and wait until the disc is fully copied and installed - and YES, that takes 3 or so hours.

It’s all because I had a bad experience with Atomic Heart when it got to the “READY TO PLAY” section of the install. Things were not working-
It's the same with download, when I bought the God of War Ragnarok it downloaded the first 14gbs or so of the game and I was playing, the rest went after.

wait what GIF

Few hours? Lol, I've never taken that long to install a game since maybe the ps3. It seems as though this is a new process which is different from the ps4. I found an old article with Lance McDonald giving a brief description. My ps5 stays connected to internet, but disc installs still have never take longer than 1 hour for me, at the most.

Because the PS5 packages the initial game file and the latest patch as a single file, instead of separate files like the PlayStation 4 did, any internet connectivity problems along the way will toss up a CE-107863-5 error and stop the install dead in its tracks.
https://screenrant.com/ps5-game-install-slow-disc-physical-internent-connect/#:~:text=Because the PS5 packages the,install dead in its tracks.

Last edited:

Filben

The UI is a bit confusing here. What you see on the home screen under the game image or when you start the game before it's completely installed is the install progress of the disc. Your PlayStation needs to be on for this to fill up/install. The disc drive won't work in sleep mode.

What you see under the download tab is installation and download (of patches). There's usually a marker indicating when you can play the game even before it's completely finished.

You can put your console to sleep when the disc installation is done; downloads still work if your energy saving options are set accordingly.

Disc installations shouldn't take hours. If you still want to do it unattended I suggest enabling your energy saving options and set your console's sleep timer to the minimum (IIRC 20 minutes). In that case the console will automatically go to sleep after 20min of no tasks, so you'll only "waste" 20min of console up time once the disc installation is finished.

Last edited:
Why does it take so long, though? I could download both of those games from PSN in 15 minutes tops.

If you have a gigabit connection then you should be able to max it while downloading from the PSN CDN which means a speed of about 115 - 125 MB/s (that's usually what I get with my gigabit fiber connection). On the other hand, the PS5 blu-ray drive copies data from disc to SSD at a speed roughly 3x slower than that (30 - 40 MB/s). That said, I'm not sure what's happening in OP's case as it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes to copy all the required data from the blu-ray disc.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Quick question.

I bought Returnal and Dead Island 2 on disc. When ya pop em in the PS5, you can see that it’s gonna take a few hours to fully copy/install…

Will the PS5 continue to copy/download if I leave the disc in and put the PS5 in Rest Mode? (This way when I come back it’ll be installed ? )

Edit: just saw your update

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
If you have a gigabit connection then you should be able to max it while downloading from the PSN CDN which means a speed of about 115 - 125 MB/s (that's usually what I get with my gigabit fiber connection). On the other hand, the PS5 blu-ray drive copies data from disc to SSD at a speed roughly 3x slower than that (30 - 40 MB/s). That said, I'm not sure what's happening in OP's case as it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes to copy all the required data from the blu-ray disc.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe the drive in OP's PS5 is crapping itself out, or the disc itself is somehow faulty (maybe it was badly pressed or something). Even if the install size is 30-40 gigs it shouldn't take longer than your estimate.

I haven't used physical media since the PS3 days so I'm not sure how it works these days, but is it possible to download the game from the server or are you still forced to install from disc if you have a physical copy?

Eiknarf

Banned
Edit: just saw your update
Yeah
Returnal took longer. Don’t know why.

Of course Returnal got to the “READY TO PLAY” portion of the copy in about 19 minutes, but the remainder took way longer than “another 28 minutes”

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe the drive in OP's PS5 is crapping itself out, or the disc itself is somehow faulty (maybe it was badly pressed or something). Even if the install size is 30-40 gigs it shouldn't take longer than your estimate.

I haven't used physical media since the PS3 days so I'm not sure how it works these days, but is it possible to download the game from the server or are you still forced to install from disc if you have a physical copy?
If you have a physical copy you're still installing straight from the disc for the most part, although depending on the game it will also download additional data from PSN (day 1 updates, extra content, etc.) and then it "combines" that data with what it's copying from the blu-ray disc. It would've been neat if Sony gave the option to download/preload physical games as well like you can on Xbox, but meh, it's fine as is.

Edit: Oh and if you have a physical PS4 copy of a cross-gen game which comes with a free PS5 upgrade then you'll download the PS5 version of the game directly from PSN. The disc then basically acts as an authentication for your game license..

Last edited:

Neff

The PS5 exaggerates install times by a lot. It told me Jedi Survivor was going to take 3 hours and it took 20 minutes.

Eiknarf

Banned
As a physical owner, it absolutely does not take Returnal “a few hours” to install. A few minutes maybe. You’re exaggerating or your console is broken.
My Console is new

Again, the proper terms for what any game does when you put it in is:

1) queueing
2) copying
(Copying/downloading is broken into two segments: when the first segment is complete (about 9 to 20 minutes depending on the game), you receive a prompt, “READY TO PLAY” and you can begin.
Whether you start playing or not, it doesn’t matter- the remaining segment will continue to “copy/download” (and you can watch/see that it takes anywhere from 18 minutes to 2 hours)

Of course as Someone mentioned above, the ETA is exaggerated- but Atomic Heart and Returnal took over an hour

And i have the digital Ragnarok version. It took two hours for that to be ready.

So disc is still faster than digital

Last edited:

TexMex

My Console is new

Again, the proper terms for what any game does when you put it in is:

1) queueing
2) copying
(Copying/downloading is broken into two segments: when the first segment is complete (about 9 to 20 minutes depending on the game), you receive a prompt, “READY TO PLAY” and you can begin.
Whether you start playing or not, it doesn’t matter- the remaining segment will continue to “copy/download” (and you can watch/see that it takes anywhere from 18 minutes to 2 hours)

Of course as Someone mentioned above, the ETA is exaggerated- but Atomic Heart and Returnal took over an hour

And i have the digital Ragnarok version. It took two hours for that to be ready.

So disc is still faster than digital

Telling you right now, if it took “over an hour” to install Returnal from a disc, your console is fucked. It being new is irrelevant. New products and still not be working properly.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think a certain part of "updates" can only be done while your PS5 is NOT in rest mode. Im talking about physical installation process.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Telling you right now, if it took “over an hour” to install Returnal from a disc, your console is fucked. It being new is irrelevant. New products and still not be working properly.
Nope
Just did it at a friends house with the disc

Do this: after you plop the new disc in, (and it automatically starts to COPY, and you see a percentage) make sure you click “HOME” then scroll to DOWNLOADS and you’ll see there is a “timeline” broken in two. The first portion of said timeline is the “8 to 19 minute portion”. When that’s filled, it’s “ready to play”. (If you don’t click HOME and scroll to DOWNLOADS you will not see this and wrongly assume it’s fully copied). Just because it’s reads, “READY/PLAY NOW” doesn’t mean it’s done. Doesn’t mean all 100% is copied. It’s not. The rest takes another 20 to 40 minutes, but you don’t see that because you’re usually playing it already

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Holy crap it still takes forever to install games off disks? 😱 I didn’t even know.

TexMex

Nope
Just did it at a friends house with the disc

Do this: after you plop the new disc in, (and it automatically starts to COPY, and you see a percentage) make sure you click “HOME” then scroll to DOWNLOADS and you’ll see there is a “timeline” broken in two. The first portion of said timeline is the “8 to 19 minute portion”. When that’s filled, it’s “ready to play”. (If you don’t click HOME and scroll to DOWNLOADS you will not see this and wrongly assume it’s fully copied). Just because it’s reads, “READY/PLAY NOW” doesn’t mean it’s done. Doesn’t mean all 100% is copied. It’s not. The rest takes another 20 to 40 minutes, but you don’t see that because you’re usually playing it already

I know how my ps5 works and I also don’t believe you’re taking your disc around town to increase the sample size of your experiment.

Eiknarf

Banned
I know how my ps5 works and I also don’t believe you’re taking your disc around town to increase the sample size of your experiment.
Whaaat?
I don’t have to “take it around town” genius. Our next door neighbors all have one. They’re not $7900.00. It’s a PS5. They’re $400.

Nothing wrong with my neighbor’s nor my PS5

It does NOT take ten minutes to FULLY COPY RETURNAL

You’re simply only looking at the first stage of the copy/download - so NO, you don’t know how your $7900 PS5 that nobody else has works

Last edited:

TexMex

Whaaat?
I don’t have to “take it around town” genius. Our next door neighbors all have one. They’re not $7900.00. It’s a PS5. They’re $400.

Nothing wrong with my neighbor’s nor my PS5

It does NOT take ten minutes to FULLY COPY RETURNAL

You’re simply only looking at the first stage of the copy/download - so NO, you don’t know how your $7900 PS5 that nobody else has works

Sure bud, you’ll figure it out one day - good luck!

Top Bottom