• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree that Tetsuya Nomura is terrible at Storytelling but great at Cinematic Gameplay?

I'm just happy there are people like Nomura and Kojima in this industry. Let them do their LSD trips in game format and let the people that enjoy them buy those. I do hate some of the things they go on about in their games but I appreciate them being true to themselves and producing crazy shit.

Fuz

Banned
I'm just happy there are people like Nomura and Kojima in this industry. Let them do their LSD trips in game format and let the people that enjoy them buy those. I do hate some of the things they go on about in their games but I appreciate them being true to themselves and producing crazy shit.
Except... while Kojima is not a problem since he does his own thing, nomura did go and ruin Final Fantasy.

Last edited:
I like his art, especially when he draws more down to earth designs.

Everything else though, no thank you. He's one of the big reasons I don't touch Creative Unit 1 games from Square Enix.

Jinzo Prime

Do you see this box? This box is the biggest mystery in the Kingdom Hearts franchise right now. Hundreds of articles, Youtube essays, and forum posts have been made about this stupid black box.

This box is the digital manifestation of Nomura's whole writing style: mystery box writing. Same style J.J Abrams and Alex Kurtzman use to string people along in Lost, or Star Wars VII, or Fringe. It shows that you can use that technique to create mystique and intrigue out of little more than a literal box. It creates hype, but leaves a bitter aftertaste once the mystery comes to its weak conclusion.

Pejo

The only thing that Nomura has been associated with in the past 15 years that I liked was his Bahamut Batman design.

batman_nomura.0.0.jpg

Xmengrey

I think you might be attributing your personal dislikes to Nomura's actual responsibility, more than is warranted.

Games are made by a team.

KH's story is complicated, but that's what the people want.

FF7R's story is fine.

He has a long track record of working on successful games.
F****** thank you people act as if Nomura has full control over every game he makes but really he just controls the broad direction of the game nothing else.

kiphalfton

Maybe they should just make movies at this stage, get in a proper writer etc.

Same goes for Kojima, even he says he'd rather make films.

I'd be on board with that. If it looks like the gifs people provided in this thread, with that level of polish/budget. Granted the 358/2 days cinematic only stuff in the Final Remix, isn't that kind of what he already did?

I haven't actually ever watched any of the cinematic only stuff for KH, so it's a genuine question.

Top Bottom