• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

canon powershot G6 is almost out

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

those who are interested in the G5's might wanna either, get one right away, or wait for the G6.

G6-Front.jpg

G6-Back.jpg

G6-Kit.jpg

G6-FrontScreen.jpg

nitewulf, did you see the specs on the canon 20d. I'd love to get my hands on one of them. But I wouldnt have enough money for any lens after picking up one of those badboys

Chony

How big will the manual for this thing be? I havent even touch the capabilities of my old 3.2 megapixel camera, havent even opened the manual yet. Hah.

nitewulf

luvaboi217 said:
nitewulf, did you see the specs on the canon 20d. I'd love to get my hands on one of them. But I wouldnt have enough money for any lens after picking up one of those badboys

why not the digital rebel? thats probably the best entry level dslr i could think of, the 10D and 20Ds are certainly more top of the line, but also expensive as hell.

What are the zoom numbers?

from leaked specs, same as the G5, 4x optical, 4x digital.

How big will the manual for this thing be? I havent even touch the capabilities of my old 3.2 megapixel camera, havent even opened the manual yet. Hah.

my G5 manual isnt too bad, pretty thick though, like a small book. but it really is very helfull.

if anything, id get a nikon d70 because I'm going to need a high frame per second to shoot sports. Thats been the only reason I've been holding out on a digital rebel. The 20d has i thikn 5 fps with a 20 frame buffer. Thats what is really atrracting me. I agree though, the digital rebel is also a really nice camera

nitewulf

luvaboi217 said:
if anything, id get a nikon d70 because I'm going to need a high frame per second to shoot sports. Thats been the only reason I've been holding out on a digital rebel. The 20d has i thikn 5 fps with a 20 frame buffer. Thats what is really atrracting me. I agree though, the digital rebel is also a really nice camera

whats the framerate on the nikon? 20D seems to use the new digic 2 chip, and some software improvements, which allows it faster framerates. i thought the 5 fps was a limit only for the RAW mode though, but im assuming you'd stick with RAW. and the 3200 ISO should be really nice as well, as i read the software improvements and the chip itself allows for less noise.

either way, you cant go wrong with the nikon either. i mostly preffer canons because they are more "bang for your buck", and controls are usually very intuitive.

the previews for the 20d have been saying that noise level for the 20d at 1600 is the same as the 10d at 400. The specs are amazing and perfect for me, but everyone I've spoken too, tell me "you're buying a system, not a body", i.e. you have to consider lens, which you'll keep with you forever....and other stuff like that. I'm just not sure yet, but its amazing what the g6 itself can do for the price.

SKluck

Banned
Retails for 700. I'd rather just spend a buck more and get a Digital Rebel.

The g-series does rock the casbah though.

nitewulf

keep in mind, you'll have a great range of canon lenses to choose from, many of which you'll find used for good prices on ebay. if you dont trust that, go to some mom and pop stores where you'll be able to buy used lenses, and pick out a good quality one.
also, im sure stores will start selling "kits" soon enough, though the lens they usually include is just bare bones.
having said all that, photography IS pretty expensive, no doubt. and yes, the G series cameras are just wonderful devices, even the G1 really shines on the hands of a good photographer, compared with more recent cameras.

edit: in reply to luvaboi, the lens talk doesnt concern the G6.

karasu

nitewulf, do you know of any good photography sites that teach alot of this shiz( the technical side, but anything is cool)?

nitewulf

karasu said:
nitewulf, do you know of any good photography sites that teach alot of this shiz( the technical side, but anything is cool)?

keep in mind that ken rockwell is an arrogant idiot. but he takes great pictures. there you will find some of his guidelines.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

on this site, you'll get guidelines for lots of commerical type shots, and on the left some more. if you click the link "back to the main site" there is a tutorials section with several sub sections, and many articles explaining various facets of digital cameras and guidelines for taking pictures.

http://irphotoschool.com/

is it possible for you at all to take a free course or something somewhere?
i found that once i learned about the basics of aperture, shutter speed, light metering and framing, theres not much else one can learn from anyone, aside from technical stuff like taking some really cool portraits w/ the shallow DoF effects (sharp face, blurry vackground).

so the best way to get better is just taking lots and lots of pictures on your own, and w/ the digitals its easy to get better, as you see the results right away and you can immediately change some settings and take other shots until you get what you wanted.

also, read the manual. the camera itself is a tool (of course), and each digi cam is different, you need to learn your camera in order to get good results. if there are things about it you dont like, you need to be able to compensate. you wanna focus on an off center object? check if your camera allows that etc.

oh and last but not least, an very important part of digital pictures is post processing and touching it up. before i ignored this, but really just by changing a few contrast, brightness and color saturation settings, you can make your regular shots look MUCH better. if the tech is there, why not use it?

when i developed film, i selected my exposure time and the contrast, so I altered the development process till i got the results that i wanted. post processing is very similar IMO. its just that when you take your film to the local store, they put it inside a machine with generic settings for overall "best" quality, and it automatically develops the films according to those settings. any photographer that develops his own films fools around with each shot, trying out the best exposure times, lighting etc.
post processing is no different, use it to your advantage.

you can ask me a few questions if you like, im not sure i'd be able to answer them, as im a newbe, but ill try. but there are some great phtographers here, like sporsk, who may help you out as well.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I'm selling my 300D body and buying a 20D as soon as it comes out. Fortunately my existing lenses are phat and everything's compatible. Canon4life

nitewulf

it'll probably start around $700 and drop to $550 in a year or so, like the rest of the G-series. never a good idea to buy one right away.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

I wish all Canons came in black.

I will never buy another silver camera. My current Canon, which I take pristine care of, has the color rubbing off the buttons and corners. Great camera tho.

Something is to be said about exterior durability, you know?

nitewulf said:
you make movies?

No live action yet. Just using the office Canon GL2 to shoot establishing shot type stuff and running filters over them to give them more of a stylized film look.

It is frickin hard to convice people to give up a day to get something shot so having the material and the look before hand does most of the convincing. :)

karasu

nitewulf said:
keep in mind that ken rockwell is an arrogant idiot. but he takes great pictures. there you will find some of his guidelines.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

on this site, you'll get guidelines for lots of commerical type shots, and on the left some more. if you click the link "back to the main site" there is a tutorials section with several sub sections, and many articles explaining various facets of digital cameras and guidelines for taking pictures.

http://irphotoschool.com/

is it possible for you at all to take a free course or something somewhere?
i found that once i learned about the basics of aperture, shutter speed, light metering and framing, theres not much else one can learn from anyone, aside from technical stuff like taking some really cool portraits w/ the shallow DoF effects (sharp face, blurry vackground).

so the best way to get better is just taking lots and lots of pictures on your own, and w/ the digitals its easy to get better, as you see the results right away and you can immediately change some settings and take other shots until you get what you wanted.

also, read the manual. the camera itself is a tool (of course), and each digi cam is different, you need to learn your camera in order to get good results. if there are things about it you dont like, you need to be able to compensate. you wanna focus on an off center object? check if your camera allows that etc.

oh and last but not least, an very important part of digital pictures is post processing and touching it up. before i ignored this, but really just by changing a few contrast, brightness and color saturation settings, you can make your regular shots look MUCH better. if the tech is there, why not use it?

when i developed film, i selected my exposure time and the contrast, so I altered the development process till i got the results that i wanted. post processing is very similar IMO. its just that when you take your film to the local store, they put it inside a machine with generic settings for overall "best" quality, and it automatically develops the films according to those settings. any photographer that develops his own films fools around with each shot, trying out the best exposure times, lighting etc.
post processing is no different, use it to your advantage.

you can ask me a few questions if you like, im not sure i'd be able to answer them, as im a newbe, but ill try. but there are some great phtographers here, like sporsk, who may help you out as well.

Thanks alot dude, th links are great. Much appreciated.

Rockwell is douche.

Does anyone know if th G6 is just as difficult to "get into" as the G5? One of the marks against the G5 was that it wasn't as intuitive as other 5mp cameras. Anyone know if this is the case with the G6?

nitewulf

mrkapawutzis said:
Does anyone know if th G6 is just as difficult to "get into" as the G5? One of the marks against the G5 was that it wasn't as intuitive as other 5mp cameras. Anyone know if this is the case with the G6?

i'd assume so. the G series hasnt really gone through a major control/menu change. but this class of cameras is never really that easy to get into though.
the A series is for ease of use and portability.

nitewulf

the thing is, they swing out, if they were static, canon could have implemented bigger screens. and this isnt my bias for canon speaking, my bro's nikon coolpix 5700's got a swing out LCD also, but the screen size is even smaller. but yeah, they should up the resolution. the G6 screen size is bigger than the G5 though, but retains the same res.

they really should get rid of the optical viewfinders in the G series and implement EVFs instead, the optical one is utterly useless.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That powershot S70 looks tight, I should get a digital camera sometime.

-edit-
Oooooo... they have some average joe cameras coming out that look very fun...

B0002OHOQC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Canon PowerShot A400

They come in different colors, no black though. But the resolution is high enough, they record decent movies, they have made-for-camera-dummies photo modes. For $180 they sound really good, definitely perfect for someone like me. The 100MB of free image space online is a good bonus too.

Product page at Amazon
A Detailed Review

nitewulf

no, no...optical viewfineders dont suck! in fact they are very useful, and enable you to frame and focus VERY fast on SLRS and DSLRS...its just that on the G series, the opticals are just there, you dont see the focus working.
but you can do eveyrthing by the LCD anyway though, that shouldnt be a reason not to buy one of these.
but i agree w/ others, theres no point paying 700 bucks for this, you'd be better off with the digital rebel slr while paying a bit more.
for 500 bucks however...this would be one of the best out there.

SickBoy

Just curious, I've never touched a G-series camera, but in what way are they complicated? Is it a matter of people not understanding the various exposure controls or is there actually a poor interface?

EDIT: Looking at the back it looks relatively easy-to-use.

-SB

nitewulf

its more a matter of there being a lot of manual controls. actually the interface is very intuitive, and controls easy to reach and change at a moments notice, its just not very point and shoot friendly.

Sho Nuff

Banned
"Ugh, Optical Viewfinders suck. No way I'd shell out the cash for this thing."

RARRRRR NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom