• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Announces PS5/Series S|X Enhancements for Resident Evil 7, 2 and 3 Remakes - Free Upgrade

Kuranghi

Just a heads up that unless they seriously optimized the alpha effects/cutscenes or reduced the settings a lot that it won't be running at native 4K@60hz without dropping heavily during cutscenes and just during some areas in general. So "native 4K60" is very optimistic at best imo, don't get your hopes up.

I say this because I spent a million years trying to get it working at 4K@60hz on my GTX 1080 at optimized settings, if you completely turn off SSR and DoF you can get 4K60 in gameplay a lot of the time but cutscenes will crash down to the late 30s during the most epic cutscene moments. Need to go down to 1440p@60hz to get it 99% locked and even then it drops during the best scenes which sucks.

I ended up locking to 30hz for my native 4K playthrough because thats the only way to stop it dropping even with every trick in the book to avoid it. I predict 1800p60hz at best and it will still have big sudden drops during the alpha-heavy close-ups in cutscenes unless they have seriously reworked it and lets be honest they almost definitely won't have done that sort of work, because they don't care much about framerate drops during gameplay, let alone in cutscenes.

Unless its just some PC version bullshit and the console version doesn't have those bottlenecks.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Terrific news! I recently did a couple of playthroughs of RE2 on the Series X, and already thought it was pretty terrific. Can't wait to see some footage of these improvements.

Also, I love that this is a free upgrade, instead of the US$10.00 upgrade Sony charges to bump up the resolution and framerate.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Let's pray it will fix the horrible SSR in the police station. Anyway wonderful news. I actually replayed RE2R. I never tired to replay it.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm seeing lots of happy people responding to this news, I believe it's only a win when the games we love are being updated with next generation features.

I say keep them coming!

Kuranghi

f
Let's pray it will fix the horrible SSR in the police station. Anyway wonderful news. I actually replayed RE2R. I never tired to replay it.

Yeah, that would go a long way, I just turned it off on PC because it doesn't really affect that many scenes too much, the wet floors where it really makes a difference are few and far between. The metal reflections are better too but its kind of a stylistic difference and I was happy with the cubemaps for how many fps I saved.

I actually just finished RE3 Remake yesterday - did back-to-back play for the 2nd time.
Also played RE7 and RE2 earlier this year too.

It will be a good reason for me to go back & replay them!

I honestly didn't have much issues with the graphics though. (Other than some lighting issues that makes players faces looking weird.. and some frame rate issue on RE3 Remake on PS5 during certain situations)
The graphics are already really good.

Only problems on ps4 being the screen space reflections 🤮 and reduced rate animations at a distance. If that’s fixed as well, fuckin’ A!

A chromatic aberration toggle would be appreciated.

Seriously RE2 looks damn damn good most of the time… Capcom was absolutely unmatched in 60fps graphics last gen with the RE engine.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There were people actually defending some companies charging extra cash for improving framerate and dual sense support. Meanwhile, Capcom is boosting resolution, adding Raytracing, 3D audio, dual sense support etc…for free.
Capcom should charge upgrade money on the platform where these people are playing

Mr Hyde

I'm definitely going back to all three games when these upgrades drop. Great news.

Last edited:
The graphics are already really good.

Only problems on ps4 being the screen space reflections 🤮 and reduced rate animations at a distance. If that’s fixed as well, fuckin’ A!

A chromatic aberration toggle would be appreciated.

Seriously RE2 looks damn damn good most of the time… Capcom was absolutely unmatched in 60fps graphics last gen with the RE engine.
Wish they would change the color grading of the HDR in RE2 as well. The police station has those raised blacks. The game looks good in spite of it but imagine how good it'd look with it not being so washed out ..

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Hopefully this doesn’t turn out to be a Witcher 3 situation where they announced next gen update before the new consoles were even released and we are still waiting for the update

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are all the RE games available on PS4/PS5?

If you mean the greater franchise as a whole ? then no, there's quite a bit like the Outbreak games, the two Chronicles games, Dead Aim, in fact all the Survivor's that are not available on modern platforms.

However, RE 1 through Village, Zero, Code: Veronica (emulated PS2 version) , Rev 1 and 2 are available on the PS4. There may be more but I can't recall at this moment.

Last edited:

sol_bad

If you mean the greater franchise as a whole ? then no, there's quite a bit like the Outbreak games, the two Chronicles games, Dead Aim, in fact all the Survivor's that are not available on modern platforms.

However, RE 1 through Village, Zero, Code: Veronica (emulated PS2 version) , Rev 1 and 2 are available on the PS4. There may be more but I can't recall at this moment.

Thanks, yeah I meant more the numbered iterations. I forgot about the Rev and Code Veronica games though.

I got RE8 for PS5 for my bday last year, finished it and loved it. May as well try and get the rest for PS4/PS5 for completion sake

Last edited:

adamsapple

Thanks, yeah I meant more the numbered iterations. I forgot about the Rev and Code Veronica games though.

I got RE8 for PS5 for my bday last year, finished it and loved it. May as well try and get the rest for PS4/PS5 for completion sake

Oh yeah in that case you will have all the mainline games you need to be up to date on the franchise lore available on PS4/5.

Games like the Outbreaks and the Survivor games add some side-ish story but are not necessary to have been played.

DavidGzz

Already got 70 hours in RE3, time for another playthrough or two. It's easily the most replayable RE for me. Action-packed with the best gameplay since they added the combat roll.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really happy about this.
Hopefully the labs now don't look horrible like they did before and that Police Station floor will be fully Ray-traced 😃

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If it's a new ps5 disc I will surely get it if there are upgrades over pc version like 3d audio and dualsense.
By the way - I only played village demo on ps5 and got the full version on pc... I kinda wish I went with ps5 version since the above features were cool in the demo and it was not stuttering. But that was fixed on pc.

Anyway - If you are using headphones on ps5, with 3d enabled in system settings, do You still need to enable 3d audio IN GAME settings in village ?

Last edited:

skneogaf

The half rate frame rate on enemies not even far away were the biggest issue on 2 and 3, I so hope that is fixed.

//DEVIL//

Rockstar Games are charging $60.
1- it was a remaster for 3 games
2- they were callled trash for it

In Sony’s case. It’s the same friggin game lol. Just enabling the texture pack toggle lol

To be fair they are not the only one. But Sony is a publisher of a platform . Not a third party studio. Their games in theory, should be less expensive than third party games since they don’t pay loyalty fees to them selves . Not lead the world with a price jump unjustified.

I know I am in the minority but I vote with my wallet. Not a single game I bought from them was at full price . I can wait till the game is dirt cheap . Plenty of other games in the market . Their loss and Hope it bites them in the ass and get hit really bad in profit to never ever think of doing shit moves like this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The Xbox versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3 are on sale together as the Raccoon City bundle.

$23.99 only. Cheapest price I've seen them together since Black Friday.

Great time to pick up if you haven't already.

RE7 is arleady currently on Game Pass.

Last edited:

Hoddi

Any word on what the actual enhancements are? I'm getting kinda burned out on these crappy 'enhancement' ports and especially after that GTA5 joke.

Top Bottom