• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Announces PS5/Series S|X Enhancements for Resident Evil 7, 2 and 3 Remakes - Free Upgrade

ikbalCO

You could completely fix it with the In-Game extensive and competent calibration tools, this is how i played the game on PS4 Pro on D1:

IMAcEZv.png

Jfqkgf5.png

otJhlGH.png

H6t7HKN.png

iuTs7yl.png

Sure the game does use different brightness levels and color grading for certain rooms and areas, in order to portray different moods:

oIPufWS.png

NaZrDrm.png

But that's akin to cinematography in a movie, once properly calibrated you simply see what they wanted you to see.

Set the first slide (highlights intensity) all way up, the second (black levels) all way down, and the third one (brightness) between the middle and the end, which is +5.

Keep in mind the game uses aggressive vignette, so if you play on PC with vignette removed you might want to set that last slide lower (and also download the tonemap mod). And this is correct not only in theory on a mathematical level, the game properly set matches the material Capcom used in marketing:

news-videogiochi-il-dlc-ghost-survivors-di-resident-evil-2-arriva-questa-settimana-1550153012649.jpg

Resident-Evil-2-The-Ghost-Survivors-7.jpg

Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 8 also look phenomenal with these same settings.

Wouldnt these adjusments crush shadow details. Because regular settings do elevate blacks. Even on my oled tv, i dont remember a pitch black scene.

rofif

Banned
Wouldnt these adjusments crush shadow details. Because regular settings do elevate blacks. Even on my oled tv, i dont remember a pitch black scene.
Yes absolutely.
I just reinstalled the game to check things out.
Vick Vick take a look.
HDR mode, oled, HGIG (not dynamic tone mapping). The only adjustment is the max white box slider moved down until I see the grey box.
Places like the save room or the room with the zombie that gets cut in half have perfect contrast and PITCH BLACK spots.
You just move outside and the whole area gets grey/washed out. The black point/gamma is absolutely dynamic as I remember and if You play the game in sdr and will calibrate the game in one of these washed out areas, the dark areas will be crushed.
This is just the style of the game. Calibration helps some in SDR but it can break stuff as far as I remember.
Yeah I know iphone does whatever it wants but the photos get the point across. Some rooms look very contrasty and others washed out. Without any setting changed. Not that there are any settings to be changed in hdr aside from max brightness anyway.

Inside save room(turned off light) and outside the door:

Jk1YF4D.jpg

9eHl8f5.jpg

And the room with zombie cut in half:
tp2Oyiw.jpg

dJXNGdw.jpg

Btw man does the game look good and controls good. 4k120 rengine is so good. I need to replay it

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Yes absolutely.
Vick Vick take a look.
HDR mode, oled, HGIG (not dynamic tone mapping). The only adjustment is the max white box slider moved down until I see the grey box.
Places like the save room or the room with the zombie that gets cut in half have perfect contrast and PITCH BLACK spots.
You just move outside and the whole area gets grey/washed out. The black point/gamma is absolutely dynamic as I remember and if You play the game in sdr and will calibrate the game in one of these washed out areas, the dark areas will be crushed.
This is just the style of the game. Calibration helps some in SDR but it can break stuff as far as I remember.
Yeah I know iphone does whatever it wants but the photos get the point across. Some rooms look very contrasty and others washed out. Without any setting changed. Not that there are any settings to be changed in hdr aside from max brightness anyway.

Jk1YF4D.jpg

9eHl8f5.jpg

tp2Oyiw.jpg

dJXNGdw.jpg

Btw man does the game look good and controls good. 4k120 rengine is so good. I need to replay it
What’s settings is it set at

Vick

Gold Member
Not at all, these settings take account of the aggressive vignette so if anything are a bit brighter than they should. Just try them.
Granted, for a great experience you should have a panel well performing in black and near black, they were made on top of line plasmas afterall.

Yes absolutely.
Vick Vick take a look.

Jk1YF4D.jpg

9eHl8f5.jpg

tp2Oyiw.jpg

dJXNGdw.jpg

Man that's a load of messy looking screenshots. Looks like shit honestly, and nothing like it should. How you could play that is beyond me.

Listen, disable HDR and put the settings i reported in the previous page, just try them for fuck sake. You should perceive the difference between rooms and atmosphere, they shouldn't be all over the place like that.

Just try those settings, like those other users did:
my man denzel GIF

I tried these settings, it's much better (PS4 Pro + Lg cx). Thank for the explanations.

Now i'm ready for RE8 if they use the same sliders/contrast method. I don't have a ps5 yet so I could not test with the demo.

Just tried these settings on RE2 (both PS4 AND X1 versions) and RE3 (PS4) and this indeed looks legit. I'm not seeing black crush or that annoying transition from dark/light areas. Colors look great. This is better than anything I've seen by far.

And if something looks wrong on your TV, take the screenshot directly via console and post it here. I guarantee it will be fine.

rofif

Banned
What’s settings is it set at
I am off my pc already. I can post a screenshot tomorrow.
Tv is set to hgig.
Game is dx11 and maxed.
In game hdr calibration:
White box first click until grey box disappeared. About 1/3th of the whole bar so on the left.
Red blue bar in the middle

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Not at all, these settings take account of the aggressive vignette so if anything are a bit brighter than they should. Just try them.
Granted, for a great experience you should have a panel well performing in black and near black, they were made on top of line plasmas afterall.

Man that's a load of messy looking screenshots. Looks like shit honestly, and nothing like it should. How you could play that is beyond me.

Listen, disable HDR and put the settings i reported in the previous page, just try them for fuck sake. You should perceive the difference between rooms and atmosphere, they shouldn't be all over the place like that.

Just try those settings, like those other users did:

And if something looks wrong on your TV, take the screenshot directly via console and post it here. I guarantee it will be fine.
iPhone exaggerates a bit both ways but yes. Some rooms are very washed out and some are perfect.
But I like how it looks with hdr compared to sdr. Re games do hdr really nice.
I just think the game is designed this way to show the mood and foggy atmosphere.

I’ve tried sdr settings long time ago. But sure, I will give your settings a go tomorrow. The sliders are self explanatory so I will set it properly for my tv.

Now that I think about the hdr presentation… no way they designed it with hgig in mind. Probably dtm. Maybe it will crush down washed out rooms. I will check.
Either way, it’s fine and most the game is not this grey if I remember.
Edit: in fact, when a game does have hdr settings, hgig should usually be right. Setting these with dtm is a catastrophe

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
iPhone exaggerates a bit both ways but yes. Some rooms are very washed out and some are perfect.
But I like how it looks with hdr compared to sdr. Re games do hdr really nice.
I just think the game is designed this way to show the mood and foggy atmosphere.
Scrap that, you would be able to judge what's intentional and what not once properly set tomorrow.
You are going to raise gamma quite alot in SDR so even the perceived differences with your current HDR are going to change drastically.

I’ve tried sdr settings long time ago. But sure, I will give your settings a go tomorrow. The sliders are self explanatory so I will set it properly for my tv.
No, please use the ones i reported and try it like that before. If your TV is properly set the game should look perfect.

First pattern all the way up (or just one step before the limit), second all the way down (or one step before the limit), last setting right in the middle (meaning the middle between Default and Max: +5).

Last edited:

ikbalCO

9eHl8f5.jpg

dJXNGdw.jpg

Wow rofif thanks for the effort.

What i ment by elevated blacks is well shown in the pictures above.

It felt like i played the entire game with washed out grayish blacks. I hated the parts with the flash light on especially.

rofif

Banned
Scrap that, you would be able to judge what's intentional and what not once properly set tomorrow.
You are going to raise gamma quite alot in SDR so even the perceived differences with your current HDR are going to change drastically.

No, please use the ones i reported and try it like that before. If your TV is properly set the game should look perfect.

First pattern all the way up (or just one step before the limit), second all the way down (or one step before the limit), last setting right in the middle.
Which colour space btw?
Also, I never finished the game in hdr. Only once on release sdr. Don’t remember which settings. Probably default and on ips at the time.
Maybe new patch will do the job. Village didn’t look like this. Hdr was great in it

Vick

Gold Member
Which colour space btw?
Not sure, can't remember which color space on PC matches the PS4 output. Try both.

Please remember, the last setting (brightness) should be in middle as i said, but not the middle meaning Default, middle between Default and max. Which is +5 from Default.

If it looks too bright, because you removed vignette like it happened with Kurangi, or because your TV highlights near black more than it should, try +3 like Kurangi did as it was then perfect for him. But go for +5 first.

Vick

Gold Member
It felt like i played the entire game with washed out grayish blacks. I hated the parts with the flash light on especially.
Those parts with flashlight should look stunning:

Jfqkgf5.png

Even in the areas with most extreme photographic choices and raised blacks (barely perceivable, as they should):

qCJG5mv.png

oIPufWS.png

These three pictures are made with the same settings i reported. This is the most difference you should be able to see between different rooms.

And here a video i made years ago, using those same settings of course, displaying how an area with raised black and cold color filter should properly look like.

Stunning regardless of the artistic choices they made, that's how the game should be. If you think black levels (during those purposely raised black-humid looking areas) are still too high for your liking, set the second pattern all the way down, since all these pictures and video are made with one step before the minimum.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

You could completely fix it with the In-Game extensive and competent calibration tools, this is how i played the game on PS4 Pro on D1:

IMAcEZv.png

Jfqkgf5.png

otJhlGH.png

H6t7HKN.png

iuTs7yl.png

Sure the game does use different brightness levels and color grading for certain rooms and areas, in order to portray different moods:

oIPufWS.png

NaZrDrm.png

But that's akin to cinematography in a movie, once properly calibrated you simply see what they wanted you to see.

Set the first slide (highlights intensity) all way up, the second (black levels) all way down, and the third one (brightness) between the middle and the end, which is +5.

Keep in mind the game uses aggressive vignette, so if you play on PC with vignette removed you might want to set that last slide lower (and also download the tonemap mod). And this is correct not only in theory on a mathematical level, the game properly set matches the material Capcom used in marketing:

news-videogiochi-il-dlc-ghost-survivors-di-resident-evil-2-arriva-questa-settimana-1550153012649.jpg

Resident-Evil-2-The-Ghost-Survivors-7.jpg

Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 8 also look phenomenal with these same settings.

Don't you give me that. Have you seen the shitty hdr settings Capcom use for their games? Ne chance.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Might be just on my end, but the Platform badge is missing on RE2/3 and 7 at the moment on PSstore and my library
They used to me available for purchase too.
JX6aaqZ.jpg

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Might be just on my end, but the Platform badge is missing on RE2/3 and 7 at the moment on PSstore and my library
They used to me available for purchase too.
JX6aaqZ.jpg

Kinda hope Sony fuck it up and release them on store refresh 😂

Reactions: TGO

rofif

Banned
Vick Vick I wonder if they will change the sdr or fix hdr presentaiton today in a patch haha (I bet not).
Anyway - Patch should drop in a moment apparently for pc players. I am not seeing anything on steam yet.

For console players, I don't think there will be disc version. Only digital or digital update to disc last gen versions.
they are adding Dualsense and 3d audio... whatever this means since these games always had headphones mode and binaural audio/3d audio... so maybe tempest or dolby ?
I always disliked how on ps5, you have no idea if tempest 3d audio is running on top of their binaural audio or not. 3d on 3d....

rofif

Banned
oh man, steam forums are so stupid.
People are review bombing already because apparently they think new game version will replace this one and it's more demanding.
I don't think they realize ray tracing will be just a setting

Reactions: GHG

Vick

Gold Member
Vick Vick I wonder if they will change the sdr or fix hdr presentaiton today in a patch haha (I bet not).
suicide-gun.gif

Anyway - Patch should drop in a moment apparently for pc players. I am not seeing anything on steam yet.

For console players, I don't think there will be disc version. Only digital or digital update to disc last gen versions.
they are adding Dualsense and 3d audio... whatever this means since these games always had headphones mode and binaural audio/3d audio... so maybe tempest or dolby ?
I always disliked how on ps5, you have no idea if tempest 3d audio is running on top of their binaural audio or not. 3d on 3d....
Can't check damnit, girlfriend is sleeping.

FUBARx89

I hope they fix the hdr or at least change how to set it up, but I'm not holding my breath.

MikeM

Trophy hunter in me is happy that it has its own separate app unlike Xbox. Re2 and Re3 downloading now

Banned
What kind of fake ass PC gamers are they?

most PC players have no idea about PCs... that's how it is

they buy a shitty Alienware or HP Tower with an i7 in it that only runs as fast as an i5 due to the terrible airflow.
and then they go on Steam and are like "that number now bigger than number on my PC box! HOW DARE THEY!"

Katajx

Gold Member
Gonna try RE3 on PC. I have the digital PS5 and physical copy of RE2 on ps4 😒.

I bought it on Xbox one and don’t feel like triple dipping

Top Bottom