• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Arcade Stadium - Announce Trailer

Deep down I just hope they'll bring the licensed stuff back.

Still it's nice to see Capcom bringing the old games back and selling them individually so more people will bite.

Edit: Just saying I got the part about "selling them individually" wrong.

Last edited:
Deep down I just hope they'll bring the licensed stuff back.

Still it's nice to see Capcom bringing the old games back and selling them individually so more people will bite.

Wait, they're selling these as individual DLC? :LOL:

Not to knock on them; a lot of these games are really cool and good. But given we've gotten used to compilations with dozens of retro games on a single package, I think you have to provide something else to bolster the value proposition if you're gonna release them as separate items.

Do the games come with things like digital flyer collections? Production notes? Artwork? Developer commentary? I'd love for that to be there with the individual releases, it'd make them feel more like complete packages and justify the prices they're probably intending to sell these at ($5 - $10).

Tuff McNutt

Not to knock on them; a lot of these games are really cool and good. But given we've gotten used to compilations with dozens of retro games on a single package, I think you have to provide something else to bolster the value proposition if you're gonna release them as separate items.

Do the games come with things like digital flyer collections? Production notes? Artwork? Developer commentary? I'd love for that to be there with the individual releases, it'd make them feel more like complete packages and justify the prices they're probably intending to sell these at ($5 - $10).

Only Ghouls N Ghosts is available individually. The rest of the games are on 3 packs with 10 games each.

00_Zer0

There are a total of 32 games. 1943 is free with the download. Then there a 3 packs of 10 games each. Then the last game on offer is Ghosts N Goblins which you have to buy separate for some reason.

Edit-Yeah what Tuff said.

Last edited:

I haven't dug for more details but based on the two trailers I watched (TGA reveal and one on the Nintendo YT channel), I think it's similar to Rusty's Real Deal Baseball on the 3DS, where you could buy whichever minigame you fancied and they are all played within the same game (in Capcom's case I assume a launcher).

While I'd be fine with the games as is, like you, I'd love to see some of the production stuff for the games I enjoy, much like how it was in the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle (Armored Warriors artwork is easily the standout in there).

Edit: Immediately upon posting I see that I've assumed wrongly.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There are a total of 32 games. 1943 is free with the download. Then there a 3 packs of 10 games each. Then the last game on offer is Ghosts N Goblins which you have to buy separate for some reason.

Edit-Yeah what Tuff said.
they can fuck
right off with that pricing,

just charge 50 for all ffs asking 130 L o L

Last edited:

Tuff McNutt

they can fuck

Capcom did something similar on PS3 and eventually the game packs were dirt cheap. Their stuff on PS4 like the Beat Em Up bundle are on sale pretty regularly also.

00_Zer0

they can fuck

I'm not against this release, but I would rather buy everything in one cartridge for convenience. No one has said anything about pricing, but I bet they are $10-20 a pack.

Spukc

Capcom did something similar on PS3 and eventually the game packs were dirt cheap. Their stuff on PS4 like the Beat Em Up bundle are on sale pretty regularly also.
aye yes i got the beat em up bundle for a tenner on switch..
heck.. i bought the capcom home arcade from amazon for 90 euro's the pricing is whack.

00_Zer0

Here's a list of features which seem interesting:

Gematsu said:
Variety of Gameplay Options – Turn back the clock on any “Game Over” situations using the universal Rewind feature, or take advantage of the adjustable gameplay options by selecting your Game Speed and Difficulty Level. Choose from a variety of Display Settings, Display Filters, and various frames including a variety of 3D-rendered arcade cabinets. Never worry about losing progress with 32 available save slots.
High Scores and More – Players will build their CASPO Class by playing games, earning achievements and completing challenges in Capcom Arcade Stadium. As players build their CASPO Class, they unlock in-game backgrounds and frames, including 2D and 3D rendered arcade cabinet designs. Compete in “Timed Challenge” and “Score Challenge” game modes to claim your place on the online leaderboards.
Play Your Way – Enjoy multiple ways to play, including handheld mode, docked mode, tabletop mode, and a vertical mode.

Source

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I own a lot of these games already. Capcom’s Collections on the PSP and the Arcade they had on PS3.

Capcom and Midway did something similar a while back on iOS. It was basically an arcade and you got to pick and choose which game you want. You could do credits or you could just buy free play. I have 1943 and Ghouls’n Ghosts already on iOS.

While I enjoy those games dearly, I’d love to see the unreleased stuff or the cabinets not released outside Japan. You can boot up some rom based arcade emulator and find games that have never been released before. I’m not exactly in need of another port of Street Fighter II.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
mSMEx9I.jpg

Gimme a physical release like they did with the CAPCOM Belt Action Collection (or even Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 like they did on the PS2 and PSP CAPCOM collections) and I'll buy.

Cyberbots, Progear, and Giga Waaaang were nice to see at the very end.

"Deep Down" I see what you did there....
I subconsciously typed it out (probably because in my psyche I've associated the words Capcom and Deep Down together) but decided to keep it in while proofreading so that people in the know like yourself can have some fun referencing it haha.

Note that I didn't capitalize "down" because I wasn't intending to make it be a reference.

Apparently these are how the packs are broken up

Pack 1: Dawn of the Arcade (’84 ’88)
– Vulgus
– Pirate Ship Higemaru
– 1942
– Commando
– Section Z
– Tatakai no Banka
– Legendary Wings
– Bionic Commando
– Forgotten Worlds
– Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
Pack 2: Arcade Revolution (’89 ’92)
– Strider
– Dynasty Wars
– Final Fight
– 1941: Counter Attack
– Senjo no Okami II
– Mega Twins
– Carrier Air Wing
– Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
– Captain Commando
– Varth: Operation Thunderstorm
Pack 3: Arcade Evolution (’92 ’01)
– Warriors of Fate
– Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
– Super Street Fighter II Turbo
– Powered Gear: Strategic Variant Armor Equipment
– Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness
– 19XX: The War Against Destiny
– Battle Circuit
– Giga Wing
– 1944 The Loop Master
– Progear

If the packs are any more than 10$ a pop (I'm guessing they'll be 15-20$). it's a no go for me.

Last edited:
These compilations are always way more fun in theory than they are in practice

YES. I've certainly found that to be the case. And I say that as a mega Capcom fan, they're by far and away my favorite video game company.

I have the "Capcom Generations" Saturn imports, and man -- like 1/2 of those games just aren't that much fun. Especially in Capcom Generation 3, they have some of their earliest stuff like "SonSon" and "Vulgus" and -- yeah, no. The only reason I keep those I keep those discs around is because the Street Fighter and Makaimura (uhh... Ghosts n' Ghouls, I guess?) discs are pretty fun, and Super GnG on there doesn't have the slowdowns of the Super Nintendo version. But anyway, I digress.

On topic, I can bite on this eventually if it comes down in price, as I already have most of those games elsewhere. The one I'm most interested in is Pack 3, which I guess has mostly (exclusively?) CPS-2 stuff. I've found CPS-1 stuff to be hit or miss (Final Fight and Strider are great, of course, but there are some other games that are kind of stinkers), but CPS-2 is almost universally all good.

Neff

Bad news guys. This is shit.

The games suffer randomly choppy performance, one instance of dropped frames cost me a life during the famous Strider mountain run. Also, the music channels are fucked on some games. I instantly noticed Bionic Commando's volume mix being incorrect resulting in the music being tuneless. I reset my Switch to make sure I wasn't having issues, and disabled data uploads within the game, but I got the same poor results.

On the plus side, the response time is excellent for retro games on modern platforms, the presentation is nice and all, and there's a great selection of games, but this is not a good way to play these classics.

Last edited:
Bad news guys. This is shit.

The games suffer randomly choppy performance, one instance of dropped frames cost me a life during the famous Strider mountain run. Also, the music channels are fucked on some games. I instantly noticed Bionic Commando's volume mix being incorrect resulting in the music being tuneless. I reset my Switch to make sure I wasn't having issues, and disabled data uploads within the game, but I got the same poor results.

The presentation is nice and all, and there's a great selection of games, but this is not a good way to play these classics.

Yo Neff, thanks for "taking one for the team."

After so many compilations across generations and different consoles, you'd think that Capcom would have had the emulation of these games down to a science by this point.

Pretty disappointing in general, and even more if they don't patch these issues.

Neff

It's not excessively bad, but as an example, the SF and belt scroller games run much better on the 35th anniversary collection/Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle respectively than they do here.

When your ports of retro games are outshined by Digital Eclipse aka Backbone, you know you've got problems.

If they can just fix the sound and the choppiness, we're in business, because everything else is great.

Will AvP or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs ever be released on this?

Slim chance, since those are licensed properties, but AvP was on that bizarre arcade stick thing a while back, so you never know.

orosballs

It's not excessively bad, but as an example, the SF and belt scroller games run much better on the 35th anniversary collection/Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle respectively than they do here.

When your ports of retro games are outshined by Digital Eclipse aka Backbone, you know you've got problems.

If they can just fix the sound and the choppiness, we're in business, because everything else is great.

Slim chance, since those are licensed properties, but AvP was on that bizarre arcade stick thing a while back, so you never know.
Would love some AvP...Been too long.

Dev1lXYZ

Bought it all for $39.99. There are some awesome games in this pack mixed in with a few duds. Tate mode confirmed. I wonder who handled the porting?

Agent X

Gold Member

Digital Eclipse generally does great emulation work. They developed Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP way back in 2006, and the emulation quality was superb, to the point where it still holds up well now in 2021.

I wouldn't knock Digital Eclipse here, as they set the bar high to begin with, but there's no reason why a new release on modern hardware should have inferior emulation compared to a 15-year-old release on a portable. I hope that's not actually the case.

theclaw135

Banned
Digital Eclipse generally does great emulation work. They developed Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP way back in 2006, and the emulation quality was superb, to the point where it still holds up well now in 2021.

I wouldn't knock Digital Eclipse here, as they set the bar high to begin with, but there's no reason why a new release on modern hardware should have inferior emulation compared to a 15-year-old release on a portable. I hope that's not actually the case.

The technical underpinnings of these collections are rarely documented in detail. I was lead to believe Digital Eclipse based them on Capcom Generations somehow, but don't know anything concrete.

JSoup

Banned
Capcom did this on the PS3 a decade ago and the price was as bullshit then as it is now.
Then again, if history repeats itself, all the DLC will eventually be in one pack and frequently discounted to $5.

Spukc

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.png

AVOID this collection is not even worth a penny

Last edited:
Top Bottom