• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cup 2019 | Hot Diggedy Dog

UPDATE: TOP 8

Winner's Side Top 8

REC|Punk (Karin) vs CYG|Fuudo (R. Mika)
NVD|Phenom (Karin, Necalli) vs iDom (Laura)

Loser's Side Top 8
Rohto|Tokido (Akuma) vs Liquid|Nemo (Urien)
Mago (Karin) vs YOG|Machabo (Necalli)

UPDATE: TOP 16

Winner's Side Top 16

REC|Punk (Karin) vs. Mouz|Problem X (M. Bison)
CYG|Fuudo (R. Mika) vs. UYU|OilKing (Rashid)
Liquid|John Takeuchi (Rashid) vs. NVD|Phenom (Karin, Necalli)
Mago (Karin) vs. iDom (Laura)

Loser's Side Top 16
Rohto|Tokido (Akuma) vs CYG|Infexious (Zeku)
RB|Luffy (R. Mika) vs. Liquid|Nemo (Urien)
Talon|HotDog29 (M. Bison) vs. RZR|Xian (Ibuki)
Kachitagari|Moke (Rashid) vs. YOG|Machabo (Necalli)

eFhsF8L.png

Capcom Cup 2019!
Thousands of players have competed in many Capcom Pro Tour events around the world this season and now it is down to the finale, Capcom Cup 2019! The event will be held at The Novo in Los Angeles, CA, USA from December 13th through 15th and will consist of a Last Chance Qualifier and the 32 player Finals. When the dust settles the winner will be crowned Capcom Cup Champion!
This event will span three days. The Last Chance Qualifier starts on Friday, December 13th. Over 200 players have registered and the winner will be awarded the final 32nd spot in Capcom Cup 2019! With the final player now determined, Capcom Cup 2019 Top 32 will take place on Saturday, December 14th and will take us to Top 16. The Capcom Cup 2019 Top 16 Finals will be on Sunday, December 15th.
The total prize pool for Capcom Cup 2019 will total nearly $250,000 (not including the CPT 2019 DLC prize pool bonus!). Not only will the players be competing for the massive cash prize, the winner will get their name engraved on the base of the Capcom Cup trophy, which is on display at Capcom USA HQ and only brought out each year for Capcom Cup.

32 Confirmed Players for Capcom Cup 2019.
Players
RED BULL|Gachikun RECIPROCITY|Punk
RED BULL Hx|Bonchan ROHTO Z!|Tokido
CYG BST|Fuudo TALON|HotDog29
FUDOH|Fujimura NASR|Big Bird
MOUSESPORTS|Problem X VICTRIX|Momochi
NVD|Phenom NuckleDu
UYU|Oil King RAZER|Xian
Mago YOG|Machabo
NASR|AngryBird LIQUID|John Takeuchi
CYCLOPS|Dogura LIQUID|Nemo
CYG BST|Infexious FAV|Sako
UYU|NL CYG BST|Daigo "The Beast"
SONICBOXX|801 Strider iDom (Winner, winner, karaage dinner!)
UYU|JB GO.RB|Luffy
AZ|Kichipa-mu RISE|Smug
Zenith Moke (LCQ winner)
Capcom Cup 2019 Finals Bracket (Top 32)
Capcom Cup Finals Live Bracket can be seen here.
Live Stream Schedule:
Note: Start times include pre-game shows.
PacificEasternUKJapan
Capcom Cup Top 32 to Top 16 (Sat)8:30AM - 6:30PM11:30AM - 9:30PM4:30PM - 2:30AM (Sun)1:30AM (Sun) - 11:30AM (Sun)
Street Fighter League World Championship (Sat)6:30PM - 10PM9:30PM - 1AM2:30AM (Sun) - 6AM (Sun)11:30AM (Sun) - 3PM (Sun)
Capcom Cup Finals (Sun)8:30AM - 6:45PM11:30AM - 9:45PM4:30PM - 2:45AM (Mon)1:30AM (Mon) - 11:45AM (Mon)

Last edited:
Machabo and Punk both won their first round matches. Daigo lost his first round match to Problem X in a close fight. He recently said on stream that he was confident about the tournament if he stayed in winner's bracket because he prepared a lot for those players and match-ups, but he did not think he was likely to perform well from loser's bracket.

Momochi vs NL next. Will be interesting to see what form Momochi is in.

Edit: 3-0 for Momochi so....very good form, lol.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
The emulating of wrestling and hip hop cringe in the scene has resulted in seeing only the very same names you saw way back in vanilla street fighter iv tournaments.

NeeyKHE.jpg

This mika mirror is insane.

Can't believe how close Luffy came to bringing it all the way back from 0-2. In a way maybe top 32 is better than top 8 because you know both player's have practiced for each other.

The emulating of wrestling and hip hop cringe in the scene has resulted in seeing only the very same names you saw way back in vanilla street fighter iv tournaments.

Some of the new players like Kichipa-mu or Fujimura are exciting, top level talents. But the players I was talking about before like Daigo and Momochi were actually at the top of competitive play since long before SFIV.

DAMMN!!!! What a hype match between Bonchan and Smug. Smug overcame Bonchan's Karin with G's absurd pressure. Very good fight.

There's a Rashid mirror next so time for me to go and make a cup of coffee. Or as Lucia would say it, a cup of Cawwwfee.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
NeeyKHE.jpg

This mika mirror is insane.

Can't believe how close Luffy came to bringing it all the way back from 0-2. In a way maybe top 32 is better than top 8 because you know both player's have practiced for each other.

Some of the new players like Kichipa-mu or Fujimura are exciting, top level talents. But the players I was talking about before like Daigo and Momochi were actually at the top of competitive play since long before SFIV.
I love that Rhythm Heaven crossover.

:messenger_fearful:

Was hoping Strider could take out Big Bird and thin out all these Rashids a bit. No such luck. 3-2, Big Bird came all the way back from 0-2.

Mabye Sako will do something tricky here, his standard Menat play has not been very effective compared to last season.

Edit: Ughhhh that was painful to watch. Phenom did the command throw loops thing again.

Last edited:
Fujimura isn't that new. He was a strong Viper player in the SF4 era but with less recognition than the usual suspects.

TBH I never knew about Yukadon/Fujimura before his rise to prominence in SFV. But the point I was making still stands, he wasn't winning tournaments all over the place in SFIV and getting into Capcom Cup. So it's not only the same players that were in big vanilla SFIV tournaments that are in big tournaments now.

Well that was a great first round. Bonchan vs Smug, Fuudo vs Luffy, and Fujimura vs Idom were some particularly great matches worth seeing.

Daigo fighting NL now. Here's an artist's interpretation of how Dagio vs Problem X went in round 1:

ByVQCNv.jpg

TBH I never knew about Yukadon/Fujimura before his rise to prominence in SFV. But the point I was making still stands, he wasn't winning tournaments all over the place in SFIV and getting into Capcom Cup. So it's not only the same players that were in big vanilla SFIV tournaments that are in big tournaments now.

Yea I didn't hear about him in that era too.

It's just when I think "new" players I'm thinking of those that literally started playing FGs in the current gen:

Someone like Haku, who Momochi took under his wing. Or that Akuma player that Daigo was mentoring and sparred with to train for his set with Tokido.

Still, I can see where you're coming from, I just don't want others to read and think Fujimura is some FG freshman.

Edit: Fixed a missing word that's been bugging me.

Last edited:
Punk and Problem making short work of Machabo and Momochi, 3-0 in each fight. They'll face each other in winner's top 16.

EDIT: It seems tomorrow is top 16, not top 8, so I removed about winner's finals being a western nations vs eastern nation's situation.

Last edited:
Another Rashid moves on. Well played by Smug but maybe he should have brought out G at the end.

Big bird seems to have a lot of momentum lately. It'll be a big deal if Phenom can get past him.

EDIT: He did it! Presumably Phenom will go deep. His next opponent will be Johnny Takeuchi, so if Big Bird's Rashid wasn't a problem...

Last edited:

Kenji Ramon

Fantastic thread OP. Much better than the another place that-must-not-be-named effort. That thread over there is so toxic too.

Despite streaming issues (and FGC can’t complain too much since it’s effectively free entertainment), so far the matches have been great to watch!

Loving the artwork ;)

Can't help but notice it's PP>>MM.

Dat alliteration nation.

Fantastic thread OP. Much better than the another place that-must-not-be-named effort. That thread over there is so toxic too.

Thanks. Something tells me the forum which we dare not speak its name is a little upset about recent elections and their toxicity levels are above their usual 100%.

What a hype set between Mago and Tokido... And now Tokido has to fight Daigo!

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Love Momochi's crazy character picks

That reminds me I need more cawwwfee

EDIT: Nooooo! The Lucia pick didn't work out! Well played by Momochi though...Another Rashid moves on.

I thought Sako would pick his Lucia but he's going with Menat instead. At least it's still eye candy for me tho ;)

Also: Holy shit Rashid is soooo strong in this game. Single multi-hit EX moves that can move him corner-to-corner. Longest and strongest 50/50 setup in the game with that whirlwind tornado of a wall. Best conversions off of trades, best plus-frame setups to tick into normal grab as pressure, etc. etc.

Almost half of Top 16 is probably gonna be Rashids. 3 Karins, 2 Bisons and a lone Akuma, yet some people still pretend Rashid isn't OP :LOL:

Almost half of Top 16 is probably gonna be Rashids. 3 Karins, 2 Bisons and a lone Akuma, yet some people still pretend Rashid isn't OP :LOL:

True, and it's been that way for a while. While everyone was talking about how OP Cammy was, which was true, Rashid was quietly outperforming her.

Amaaaaazing match between Xian and Sako. They were both outstanding. Sad to see Sako go.

Goodbye, Sako!

JqcpD8c.jpg

Daigo vs Tokido now... IT's ON!

Dat jab confirm into super! And then he clapped for himself? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EDIT: 2-1...Veeeery intense!

EDIT: 2-2 now...super close!

EDIT: Dammit, last game last round, as always!

EDIT: Nice one, Tokido. Looked like Daigo was running away with it there, but Tokido brought it back.

Last edited:
They're arguing? Technical difficulties? Somethings up...

Console overheating? No idea...we got up to the final match of the day (Infexious vs Angry Bird) but we suddenly have down time while they work out technical difficulties...

EDIT: Congrats to Infexious on the win. His prize is a fight with Tokido in top 16.

Updated OP with Top 16 and strikethroughs on all eliminated players from the top 32

Last edited:
Top Bottom