• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Japan Remembers Dino Crisis' Anniversary

Every time something really minor related to Dino Crisis happens.

Dino Crisis fans:

200.gif

Capcom:

giphy.gif

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pejo

A Dino Crisis VR would be amazing, but they probably don't have the guts to do it considering the initial sales would probably be low.

KàIRóS

The problem I find with Dino Crisis is that everyone remembers the first 2 games but never the horrible third game, it was so bad with all sci fi nonsense, if Capcom decides to bring Dino Crisis back it better not be Dino Crisis 4 they should either reboot the franchise or just remake the first 2 games to appease the fans.

Wish Namco Bandai would take notes from them in that area.
I would sacrifice my (non-existent) first-born son for an upscaled re-release of the Dreamcast version of Soulcalibur and the GameCube version of Soulcalibur 2.

Also, Tekken Tag and Tekken Tag 2 on all modern platforms, please.

Kacho

A survival horror game with dinos is easy money. Don’t get why Capcom sleeps on this franchise.

Nothing tops DC2 tho. What an incredible action game.

Last edited:

SSfox

I would sacrifice my (non-existent) first-born son for an upscaled re-release of the Dreamcast version of Soulcalibur and the GameCube version of Soulcalibur 2.

I still have a very bad taste in my mouth on how they kept Tekken 7 only Japanese Arcade for 3 years, without even releasing not even a Tekken 6 remaster or some kind of Tekken collection for PS4.

Yup a Soul Calibur & Tekken collection remaster would have been dope, actually bough SC1 remaster in 360 and had a lot of fun. I would also gladly buy a Death By Degrees Remaster.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think Capcom does this to throw a bone to the fans who get things to trend on Twitter.

However, I can 100% see Capcom making a new Dino Crisis at some point. Onimusha too, it's just a matter of time.

it's weird how little dinos there are in commercial media when basically everyone loves 'em... kids and grownups alike love dinos. Fun fact, the Japanese call them kyouryuu 恐竜 like "scary dragon"

Dino Crisis 2 was badass btw, and a complete departure from the first which was basically Resident Dino... they tried to make a cool action game about shooting dinosaurs and I fully respect it. Please make more Crapcom.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think Capcom does this to throw a bone to the fans who get things to trend on Twitter.

However, I can 100% see Capcom making a new Dino Crisis at some point. Onimusha too, it's just a matter of time.
Not sure they are doing one right now but I am sure they tried to bring it back a couple of times over the years. However, I can somewhat see why they are struggling as I myself can’t think of how a modern DC would or could work in terms of gameplay. Fighting Dinos alone wouldn’t probably be a lot of fun. Fighting other humans while Dinos roam the area… that could work but is also prolly difficult…

Well, I do hope they figure out a working concept one day.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not sure they are doing one right now but I am sure they tried to bring it back a couple of times over the years. However, I can somewhat see why they are struggling as I myself can’t think of how a modern DC would or could work in terms of gameplay. Fighting Dinos alone wouldn’t probably be a lot of fun. Fighting other humans while Dinos roam the area… that could work but is also prolly difficult…

Well, I do hope they figure out a working concept one day.
I figured Capcom would just expand on the dodge mechanic in RE3make and add a roll to it or something, crouch mechanic too for stealth. It could be so awesome, raptors hunting you like Hunters/Lickers. Stalker type enemies. It'd be RE for sure but more action. Those are my thoughts at least.

Slightly off topic:
I thought because of GOT, Nioh, Sekiro, Capcom would utilize Onimusha to have a Souls type adventure game. I know Monster Hunter exists but it seems like they might use Dragon's Dogma 2 for that market. I can honestly see DD2 being an Elden Ring type experience for the gaming community, especially if there's coop. I wouldn't be surprised if that game blows up.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Also, I'm not super experienced in the franchise (ran some of 1, never played 2,) but I feel the jank and frustration of limitations was part of the fun of Dino Crisis.

It shouldn't really work, that you take the Resident Evil formula of wandering around limited-view corridors but replace the thin, slow-moving zombies that you can weave in between and push away with monster beasts capable of lunging and swiping great distances (plus screen-sized massive Rexes that come at you like a pissed-off railroad train.) On paper, it's a bad fit.

Yet Dino Crisis was carefully structured for horror and thrills within the PS1's capabilities, and it did work. The limited polygon budget was turned into a design strategy, with dark pools or blocked cameras smartly to leave a lot to your imagination, and there's no looking around to see things out of your periphery or viewpoint (partly because the actual scenery probably wasn't there.) Fixed cameras and limited play space were important to maintaining the frights and the combat challenge of the game. The sound fucked you up as much as anything that you had to fight (and then when you got good at the game, you learned to use the sound as your best weapon of survival.) Your weapons were less rinky-dink than the six-shooters you were usually trying to take zombies down with (cold-comfort when you have a T-Rex that can eat you in one bite and you're counting on a shotgun to annoy it enough to go away...) Chase cam and cutaway angles were critical features of the game, as you often were running for your life or backing away while blasting or weaving a serpentine pattern through a hallway you didn't really have a full viewpoint on of what's ahead. And then, a lot of your time really is spent pushing boxes and throwing switch puzzles and stuff like that, with dino encounters being the dessert, not the meal. (I understand this changed in DC2, and somehow that worked too?)

tumblr_nxrlmkOOot1rs6286o2_500.gif

Translate that into the third-person cam of RE2make or RE4 and it's a different game. You don't have the chase cams or the limited view. You probably don't have the tank-like movement of the dinos where they can barely react as you run past them because they only have a handful of directional animations (and if you did have dinos that simple again, gamers would shit all over the "dumb AI" even though that's part of the yin/yang mechanics that made the first game playable.) You would have a hard time building the "monster closet" approach of level design that Dino Crisis uses a lot, when the character has more visibility and roam of the stage. It just offhand doesn't translate the same, and would need a lot of rethinking to capture the terror and offer the same play style while adapting to more robust character movement and controllable viewpoint that gamers expect today.

Granted, I said some of the same things about RE4 VR, and apparently people liked that, so don't trust me implicitly. (They did have to make some significant gameplay changes to the VR version that IMO make it its own thing, and then some of RE4 play systems I said couldn't translate to VR like melee or boss QTEs, they just didn't bother, they cheated with a cutaway cam that breaks the immersion and I would say defeats the purpose of VR, but again, people enjoyed it anyway.) Maybe all they need to do is throw dinos into REngine and have you run around with a gun, I don't know. But Dino Crisis was a special little weird thing of its time, and looking at it today, I kind of feel like I understand why it didn't have the natural adaptability to evolve for new generations the way Resident Evil did.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I kinda have that on PC with Dolphin Emulator
foAQIv6.jpg

SkylineRKR

I still have a very bad taste in my mouth on how they kept Tekken 7 only Japanese Arcade for 3 years, without even releasing not even a Tekken 6 remaster or some kind of Tekken collection for PS4.

Yup a Soul Calibur & Tekken collection remaster would have been dope, actually bough SC1 remaster in 360 and had a lot of fun. I would also gladly buy a Death By Degrees Remaster.

Namco doesn't even upgrade Tekken 7 for PS5 and XsX, even though they released a DLC pack for it not too long ago. They did release TTT HD, but only physical with the prologue of TTT2. The same shit happened with AC5, you couldn't buy it seperately.

With SC2 HD they also dropped the ball. No JP voice track, no surround sound. And SC1 was completely butchered on XBLA but that was at the time of size limits.

Namco is weird with their classic portfolio.

SSfox

Namco doesn't even upgrade Tekken 7 for PS5 and XsX, even though they released a DLC pack for it not too long ago. They did release TTT HD, but only physical with the prologue of TTT2. The same shit happened with AC5, you couldn't buy it seperately.

With SC2 HD they also dropped the ball. No JP voice track, no surround sound. And SC1 was completely butchered on XBLA but that was at the time of size limits.

Namco is weird with their classic portfolio.
Tekken is my number one franchise ever since i owned Tekken2. But they really did us dirty to Tekken fans since around Tekken 5 era. They released Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection on PSP exclusive and then on PS3, but not in PS2 where 99% of the fanbase were. Then they took 2 years to release Tekken 6 on consoles after Arcade release, and then 3 years Tekken 7 release on console after Arcade.

Things seen improvement recently with Tekken 7 post launch support, but still lacking in few areas like costumes per characters mostly, Bamco counting too much on Modders in that area and forgot that most than half of their fanbase plays on consoles and not on PC.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Tekken is my number one franchise ever since i owned Tekken2. But they really did us dirty to Tekken fans since around Tekken 5 era. They released Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection on PSP exclusive and then on PS3, but not in PS2 where 99% of the fanbase were. Then they took 2 years to release Tekken 6 on consoles after Arcade release, and then 3 years Tekken 7 release on console after Arcade.

Things seen improvement recently with Tekken 7 post launch support, but still lacking in few areas like costumes per characters mostly, Bamco counting too much on Modders in that are.

Tekken 6 customization was better. I am quite disappointed by the customization in 7 and also by their single player content since 6. Thought I didn't really hate the scenario campaign from 6. It shouldn't have been the main focus though, but more like a side thing like Force and Devil Within always was. It was kinda addicting grinding for S tier stuff.

But in their defense the vanilla versions of T6 and 7 were just not good enough, and they had loyalty to their arcade business. So Bloodline Rebellion and Fated Retribution both came out one year before the console port. Namco could've released the vanilla version earlier probably, and then update it for consoles, but its apparently less viable for their business. And initial reception might've been mediocre.

The problem is that arcades were long dead in the west. For us there was almost no way to play T7 before 2017. Now with Japan also dwindling or dead, I think we'll see T8 sooner after the arcade release. But Namco certainly takes their time. 5 is like, 18 years old? There have been 2 sequels and some spin offs including TTT2.

dezzy8

Hmmm I think it will happen

But the question is……Are there more Dino Crisis fans, Powerstone fans or Onimsha fans. I really want a new Onimusha
Onimusha would be awesome in this day and age. It could totally be a dark souls type game.

Top Bottom