• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Platinum Sales Update - MHW: 16.1M, RE7: 7.9M, RE2 Remake: 7.2M, SFV: 4.7M

Kenji Ramon

Platinum Titles (as of June 30th, 2020)

Monster Hunter Series:
Monster Hunter World - 16.1M +400K
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 5.8M +600K
Monster Hunter Generations: Ultimate - 3.7M +100K

Resident Evil Series:
Resident Evil 7 - 7.9M +400K
Resident Evil 5 - 7.7M +100K
Resident Evil 6 - 7.6M +100K
Resident Evil 2: Remake - 7.2M +600K
Resident Evil (PS3/DL) - 2.8M +200K
Resident Evil 3: Remake - 2.7M
Resident Evil 0 HD - 2.6M +100K
Resident Evil 6 (PS4/X1) - 2.2M +200K
Resident Evil 4 (PS4/X1) - 1.9M +200K
Resident Evil 5 (PS4/X1) - 1.8M +100K
Resident Evil 4 HD (PC) - 1.2M +100K
Resident Evil 4 (360/PS3) - 1.2M

Street Fighter:
Street Fighter V - 4.7M +200K
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 1.4M +200K

Devil May Cry:
Devil May Cry 5 - 3.7M +200K
DmC: Devil May Cry - 2.5M +100K
DmC: Devil May Cry DE - 1.1M

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 3 - 2.8M +100K
Dead Rising (PS4/X1/PC) - 1.1M
Dead Rising 4 - 1.1M +100K

Misc.
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - 1.5M +100K
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS4/X1/PC) - 1M
Okami HD - 1.4M +200K
Strider (PS4/X1/360/PS3/PC) - 1M
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4/X1/DL) - 1.2M +200K

Franchise Updates
Dragons Dogma - 5.3 Million +300K
Dead Rising - 14 Million +1M
Okami - 3.1 Million +100K
Monster Hunter - 64 Million +1M
Ace Attorny - 7.7 Million + 200K
Marvel Vs Capcom - 9.6 Million +200K
Resident Evil - 103 Million +5M
Street Fighter - 45 Million +1M

Last edited:

Aggelos

SFV has amazing legs (like Chun-Li of course) and RE7 is a monster.

Yuja Wang has amazing legs... Chun-Li is a fictional character. She has whatever legs they give to her.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ff6d7632c-a2f5-11e9-b7db-61a6074b49a3.jpg

merlin_138327420_ee0da1d3-d8ee-44fc-8aba-04550e4b7cee-superJumbo.jpg

Naked Lunch

I remember when Capcom used to be afraid to bring the Monster Hunter series to the US. World blew up beyond belief.
The next version of Monster Hunter is going to be absolutely insane with an unlimited budget and support for years.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Capcom should make the next MH their absolute cash cow (kinda like FFIV for SE) and then finance all future RE with this. :messenger_sunglasses:

Glad to see RE2 is selling so well. That game was such an achievement.

GenericUser

Quality games performing well (MH) and lots of sales for one of my favorite franchises of all time (RE) - win win. Capcom really deserves this success.

martino

i hope capcom will see there is room for a tps re game like remake.
sure it's easier and cheaper to produce horror fps....so my hope is sadly not big

this dragon dogma sequel needs to be announced now.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Glad to see RE7 doing so well, playing it in VR is still the scariest experience I've ever had. Also really happy to see REmake2 doing those kinds of numbers. I adored it, and would love to see an original entry made in that same style.

yurinka

It's amazing to see Street Fighter V still selling copies on its 5th year, this quarter even without new character releases or big eSports events. It's only 200-300K copies away of passing 2 games (the original RE2 and MHF3) and becoming the 8th best selling Capcom game ever (7th if we don't count Iceborne because it's a DLC) and 2nd best selling Capcom fighting game ever.

It is also nice to see RE7 and RE2R up there with potential of ending the two best selling RE games ever, and DMCV still selling as the best selling DMC ever. And well, MHW still there breaking historical records.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Last edited:

Camreezie

You would think with those numbers they would give us a new Dead rising , even if it was a reboot after the damage 4 did

Kenji Ramon

is SFV at 4.7m considered to be disappointing? what are the sales figure for SFIV like?

Quite the contrary. It is the 10th best selling Capcom title of all time and the 2nd best selling fighting game from Capcom from a single SKU - all this while only being released on two platforms. It’s debatable whether or not SFV would have sold more with both the XB1 and Switch included, but I’m sure it would have been a couple million extra at the very least.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

SF V doing well despite the crap start. It deserved some of the hate at the start it but it has done well since. It had hate since it was announced as an Exclusive

Ten_Fold

Sf5 is probably my LEAST favorite and played sf game, got all the way to like ultra diamond rank and never touched it again, just wasn’t a fan. I’m still glad it sold well enough so hopefully sf6 will get a good budget.

WellSheet

Okay. So...Okami is definitely due a sequel. A true sequel. Unless that game cost a 50+ million dev and marketing...at what... almost 15 years ago to develop? 3.1 million should show Capcom - if it’s budgeted right - they can soft reboot or make a sequel and it could actually BE a hit (relative).

Amiga

Platinum Titles (as of June 30th, 2020)

Monster Hunter Series:
Monster Hunter World - 16.1M +400K
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 5.8M +600K
Monster Hunter Generations: Ultimate - 3.7M +100K

Resident Evil Series:
Resident Evil 7 - 7.9M +400K
Resident Evil 5 - 7.7M +100K
Resident Evil 6 - 7.6M +100K
Resident Evil 2: Remake - 7.2M +600K
Resident Evil (PS3/DL) - 2.8M +200K
Resident Evil 3: Remake - 2.7M
Resident Evil 0 HD - 2.6M +100K
Resident Evil 6 (PS4/X1) - 2.2M +200K
Resident Evil 4 (PS4/X1) - 1.9M +200K
Resident Evil 5 (PS4/X1) - 1.8M +100K
Resident Evil 4 HD (PC) - 1.2M +100K
Resident Evil 4 (360/PS3) - 1.2M

Street Fighter:
Street Fighter V - 4.7M +200K
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 1.4M +200K

Devil May Cry:
Devil May Cry 5 - 3.7M +200K
DmC: Devil May Cry - 2.5M +100K
DmC: Devil May Cry DE - 1.1M

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 3 - 2.8M +100K
Dead Rising (PS4/X1/PC) - 1.1M
Dead Rising 4 - 1.1M +100K

Misc.
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - 1.5M +100K
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS4/X1/PC) - 1M
Okami HD - 1.4M +200K
Strider (PS4/X1/360/PS3/PC) - 1M
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4/X1/DL) - 1.2M +200K

Franchise Updates
Seems like everybody is making money on consoles these days, the gaming world community has grown by millions this generation.
Even once niche games like Yakuza and Persona are selling millions, when once they just expected 500K per installment.

Pejo

MHW is in the running for game of the generation for me personally, but please Capcom - no more clutch claw in MHW2.

Anyways, I'm glad that they're enjoying success, I look forward to what's next.

I'd like to know the split between vanilla SFV, Arcade Edition and Champion Edition (plus the split between PS4 and PC). I think it's fair to say the game's done decent in terms of regular sales, but it's a blessing the DLC sales have been very strong otherwise it'd be disappointing overall.

With the DLC factored in I supposed SFV has generated more revenue than SFIV did, even if versions of SFV have been on steep discount sales every now and again on Steam.

Quite the contrary. It is the 10th best selling Capcom title of all time and the 2nd best selling fighting game from Capcom from a single SKU - all this while only being released on two platforms. It’s debatable whether or not SFV would have sold more with both the XB1 and Switch included, but I’m sure it would have been a couple million extra at the very least.

"Single" SKU isn't quite true. They've had three: Vanilla, Arcade, and Champion. The difference is unlike with SFIV people with Vanilla could just simply buy the Arcade and Champion content if they liked, bu that still technically makes it 3 SKUs. If you want to split that into platforms, then you have to consider PS4 and PC variants of each to run on the respective platforms.

Conversely, SFIV had versions across PS3 and 360, and the 3DS (much later), in addition to PC. It also had a Vanilla, Super, and Ultra editions but no way to just buy the extra content if you already had Vanilla. IIRC SFIV LTD sales were about 6.9 million across all versions and platforms. However, SFV has definitely generated more revenue and profit due to DLC, but I'm not sure if that's exactly a fair metric to go by in comparing performance with SFIV considering that type of DLC model wasn't really possible in PS360 era (even if the tech were mostly there, the mindset among gamers definitely wasn't, neither were purchasing habits WRT physical/digital).

Last edited:
Monster Hunter > Resident Evil

Based on this reports

Franchise Updates

Kerotan

Monster Hunter World could sell 20M and Icebourne 20M if they don't bring out the sequel too soon from now.

Helios

is SFV at 4.7m considered to be disappointing? what are the sales figure for SFIV like?
Depends on how many copies were sold at a discounted price, I guess. The game goes on sale like every few months with free trials. Probably helps that the game is in a much better state than it was in the first few seasons.

Astral Dog

i hope capcom will see there is room for a tps re game like remake.
sure it's easier and cheaper to produce horror fps....so my hope is sadly not big

this dragon dogma sequel needs to be announced now.
They just released two of those recently, now its the time for another wonderfully horrific VR fps adventure :messenger_beaming:

Also its silly to say just because its first person its easier or cheaper to make, Capcom made best first person horror the perspective works very well maybe they just wanted to push their vision a bit further, i bet VILLAGE is gonna be more ambitions than many people expect

thx Capcom 🥺

Last edited:

martino

They just released two of those recently, now its the time for another wonderfully horrific VR fps adventure :messenger_beaming:

Also its silly to say just because its first person its easier or cheaper to make, Capcom made best first person horror the perspective works very well maybe they just wanted to push their vision a bit further, i bet VILLAGE is gonna be more ambitions than many people expect

thx Capcom 🥺

we'll see
RE7 feel not high level of production in comparison to remake to me
and i don't like the type of game at all so i will not hope they produce them.

Kenji Ramon

Single" SKU isn't quite true. They've had three: Vanilla, Arcade, and Champion. The difference is unlike with SFIV people with Vanilla could just simply buy the Arcade and Champion content if they liked, bu that still technically makes it 3 SKUs. If you want to split that into platforms, then you have to consider PS4 and PC variants of each to run on the respective platforms.

I see where you are coming from. However, I would still say it’s a single SKU (as Capcom also think) because every single person who had the original vanilla gane could upgrade to the Arcade/Champion version of the game for free - which includes free balance, modes, gameplay changes etc. With SFIV there were multiple editions where someone had to buy in order to be in the same player pool, hence they were separated. It’s interesting what you said about revenue, I wouldn’t be surprised if SFV generates far more revenue than previous SF titles with their current model.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'd say no.

As SKU it's the top 10 best selling Capcom game ever (9th if we don't include Iceborne because it's an standalone DLC). And selling at this speed it has been done this last year, I think it's pretty likely that will outsell 2 games more becoming the 8th best selling Capcom game ever (7th if not counting Iceborne). The only other Capcom fighting game SKU that sold more than SFV is the first SFII for SNES.

Can't be exactly compared, because the SFV updates are free DLC, while in SFIV were almost always a separated game. On top of that SFV still didn't end its lifecycle while SFIV did, and SFV has been only released in 2 platforms while SFIV was in 6 platforms. In any case:
SFIV 3.4m
SSFIV 1.9m
SSFIV 3D 1.3m
SSFIVAE 1.1m
USFIV 1.4m

Combined, it's 9.1m. But again, can't be compared because in that figure each player who has been updating to the newer version or bought the portable one is counted several times, while isn't the case in SFV because there he buys or download stuff for free.

We also have to consider that for that same reason, SFV made a ton of money more than its sales number because in addition to these game updates during these 5 years they also released a ton of free and paid dlc, and it must had great DLC sales because if not they would have stopped it before, and they mentioned that the season v was going to feature more content than initially planned because of great player support buying the previous stuff. SFIV series instead had a very little amount of DLC.

If we look at daily active users on Steam (we don't have it on PS4), we see SFV has more than SSFIV/SSFIVAE/USFIV (seems to share the same Steam SKU since it has tracking way before its launch and the other SFIV skus don't appear in steam.db):

image.png

If we look at Twitch viewship, number of tournaments, tournament participation or tournament viewship SFV also has better numbers than SFIV series. As of now we can only see the later moments of SFIV series at sullygnome.com:
image.png

It's very likely that SFV may have already generated more revenue than the entire SFIV series. Consider also that in the Capcom financial report of the year MHW was released and become the best selling Capcom ever they did put SFV on the cover story instead to talk about the comeback the game was having after its weak launch due to the improvements and relaunch they did with SFVAE and the eSports. A year later Capcom also decided to be commited to heavily invest on eSports (so SFV) as a key focus for the present and the future of the company starting a multiple decades long roadmap. This means Capcom is very happy with SFV even if it had its issues specially at launch.

Last edited:

WellSheet

It’ll be interesting to see - depending on factors - where RE3make’s sales lie in about a year. Maybe 5ish million?

Top Bottom