• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Q3 Results

CyberPanda

Banned
  • February 4, 2020
  • Press Release
  • Company Name : Capcom Co., Ltd.
    Representative: Haruhiro Tsujimoto, President and COO
    (Code No. 9697 First Section of Tokyo Stock Exchange)
    Phone Number: +81-6-6920-3623

Operating Income Up 37.1%, Net Income Up 42.3% Year-over-year in Capcom's
Consolidated Results for the Nine Months Ended December 31, 2019

- Digital shift brings growth in major title sales, driving highest profit levels in Capcom history -

Capcom Co., Ltd. today announced that in its consolidated business results for the nine months ended December 31, 2019, net sales were 52,908 million (down 13.6% year-over-year). Operating income was 18,448 million yen (up 37.1% year-over-year), and ordinary income was 18,702 million yen (up 38.1% year-over-year). Net income attributable to owners of the parent was 13,065 million yen (up 42.3% year-over-year).
This quarter, flagship title Monster Hunter World: Iceborneprovided a solid performance, while elsewhere in the core Digital Contents business sales of major catalog releases from past years, such as Monster Hunter: World, Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5, also showed healthy sales growth. As a result of high-margin digital sales growth improving profitability, Capcom achieved the highest profit at all levels for the end of a third quarter in company history.
As of February 4, 2020, the forecast for the consolidated business results for the current fiscal year ending March 31, 2020 have been revised. For details, see the February 4, 2020 announcement titled, "Capcom Announces Revision of Consolidated Full-Year Business Forecast."
1. Results for the 9 months ended December 31, 2019
Net salesOperating incomeOrdinary incomeNet income attributable to owners of the parentEarnings per share
million yenmillion yenmillion yenmillion yenyen
9 months ended December 31, 201952,90818,44818,70213,065122.39
9 months ended December 31, 201861,27013,46113,5399,18083.95
2. Earnings forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2020
Net salesOperating incomeOrdinary incomeNet income attributable to owners of the parentEarnings per share
million yenmillion yenmillion yenmillion yenyen
Year ending
March 31, 2020
3. Status of Each Operational Department
(1) Digital Contents

(million yen)
9 months ended
December 31, 2018
9 months ended
December 31, 2019
Difference (%)
Net sales47,85540,589(15.2%)
Operating income15,28819,88530.1%
Operating margin31.9%49.0%-
  1. a. In this business segment, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) delivered solid sales and served as the key driver of profitability growth owing to a focus on high-margin digital sales. Further, healthy sales of catalog titles also boosted profit. Specifically, Resident Evil 2 (for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC) and Devil May Cry 5 (for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC), both released in the previous fiscal year and recipients of an Award for Excellence at the Japan Game Awards: 2019, saw continued growth in sales buoyed by a growing user base. Monster Hunter: World (for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC), which was launched in January 2018, also continued to display its long sales life.
  2. b. The resulting net sales were 40,589 million yen (down 15.2% from the same term in the previous fiscal year) due to an increase in the percentage of digital sales. Operating income was 19,885 million yen (up 30.1% from the same term in the previous fiscal year) due to successfully revising the earnings structure and contributions from Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and catalog titles.
(2) Arcade Operations
(million yen)
9 months ended
December 31, 2018
9 months ended
December 31, 2019
Difference (%)
Net sales8,0829,20113.8%
Operating income8681,18736.6%
Operating margin10.7%12.9%-
  1. a. In this business, the Company worked to secure a wide range of customers, including core users, repeat customers, and families through community-based promotion activities, such as holding various events and conducting service day campaigns, under the banner of "the No. 1 arcade in the community."
  2. b. During the period under review the total number of stores reached 40 with the opening of Capcom Store Tokyo in Shibuya Parco (Tokyo), a dedicated retail shop that sells character merchandise and represents a new business endeavor for Capcom, as well as two new arcades: Plaza Capcom Ikebukuro (Tokyo) and Plaza Capcom Fujiidera (Osaka).
  3. c. The resulting net sales were 9,201 million yen (up 13.8% from the same term in the previous fiscal year) and operating income was 1,187 million yen (up 36.6% from the same term in the previous fiscal year).
(3) Amusement Equipments
(million yen)
9 months ended
December 31, 2018
9 months ended
December 31, 2019
Difference (%)
Net sales3,231663(79.5%)
Operating income(639)376-
Operating margin-56.7%-
  1. a. In an environment in which the shrinkage of the game machine market shows no signs of stopping, mainly due to the revision in pachislo model certification methods, the Company did not launch any new models and instead focused on business from licensing.
  2. b. The resulting net sales were 663 million yen (down 79.5% from the same term in the previous fiscal year), although the Company secured an operating income, albeit small, of 376 million yen (an operating loss of 639 million yen for the same term in the previous fiscal year) supported by the licensing business.
(4) Other Businesses
(million yen)
9 months ended
December 31, 2018
9 months ended
December 31, 2019
Difference (%)
Net sales2,1022,45316.7%
Operating income981358 (63.5%)
Operating margin46.7%14.6%-
The net sales from Other Businesses, mainly consisting of royalty income from the licensing and sale of character merchandise, were 2,453 million yen (up 16.7% from the same term in the previous fiscal year) and operating income was 358 million yen (down 63.5% from the same term in the previous fiscal year).

Well deserved, Capcom is on fire and back on it's feet after the stumble they experienced at the start of the generation and i dare say they are back to their PS1-PS2 days in terms of game quality.
Monster Hunter Franchise was carrying Capcom during that dark period of time combined with mobile division catastrophe that manged to eat a significant amount of MH profit.

Now they're no longer stupid enough to invest in Mobile BS.

Monster Hunter Franchise was carrying Capcom during that dark period of time combined with mobile division catastrophe that manged to eat a significant amount of MH profit.

Now they're no longer stupid enough to invest in Mobile BS.
Teppen_07-04-19.jpg

Eimran

I completely lost faith in Capcom during the previous generation. Especially after that trainwreck called Resident Evil 6. But I can honestly say that after this generation they certainly deserve a second chance. I hope they keep delivering Quality in the next gen.

They are doing really, really well again, which is great. I'll always have a soft spot for Capcom because of GOATs Street Fighter and Resi Evil.

Now they just need to make another 2D Street Fighter or any Darkstalkers. Oh and Parasite Eve and Dino Crisis.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm waiting the Platinum list update... I want to know how much close REVII is to RE6.

The previous numbers from Q2.

om9pAgk.png

SFV will probably enter in the TOP10 too.

Crazy how these titles are selling well.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
They are doing really, really well again, which is great. I'll always have a soft spot for Capcom because of GOATs Street Fighter and Resi Evil.

Now they just need to make another 2D Street Fighter or any Darkstalkers. Oh and Parasite Eve and Dino Crisis.
Parasite Eve is Square Enix.

These are really great results for Capcom, they're arguably back at their PS1-PS2 levels as Rean no Kiseki Rean no Kiseki said. I hope other legacy Japanese companies like Konami and SEGA take some notes from them in pushing marquee IP better and investing more in AAA production with at least a couple of those. Would definitely like to see them commanding similar presence to what Capcom's managed this gen.

yurinka

I'm waiting the Platinum list update... I want to know how much close REVII is to RE6.

The previous numbers from Q2.

om9pAgk.png

SFV will probably enter in the TOP10 too.

Crazy how these titles are selling well.
Yes, I also has been waiting them to update the platinum list. I've been checking it every day since last week xDDD

I'd say that unless DMCV reached over 4.3M this quarter (I doubt it), SFV will enter the top 10 of the best selling Capcom games ever.

I'll list their more or less recent games sales numbers up to September 30, 2019 here, in order to have them listed somewhere to compare when they update :
-MHW 14.1M
-RE7 6.8M
-RE2R 4.7M
-SFV 3.9M
-MHW Iceborne 2.8M
-MvCi 1.4M
-Mega Man Legacy Collection 1.1M
-Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection 1.0M
-Mega Man 11 1.0M

Game series:
-RE 93M
-MH 58M
-SF 43M
-Mega Man 35M
-DMC 20M
-MvC 9.3M
-Dragon's Dogma 4.8M
-Okami 2.8M

Last edited:

Parasite Eve? Capcom?

Edit: Nvm, I see that you have been corrected and I'm not going crazy.

Last edited:
Yes, I also has been waiting them to update the platinum list. I've been checking it every day since last week xDDD

I'd say that unless DMCV reached over 4.3M this quarter (I doubt it), SFV will enter the top 10 of the best selling Capcom games ever.

I'll list their more or less recent games sales numbers up to September 30, 2019 here, in order to have them listed somewhere to compare when they update :
-MHW 14.1M
-RE7 6.8M
-RE2R 4.7M
-SFV 3.9M
-MHW Iceborne 2.8M
-MvCi 1.4M
-Mega Man 11 1.0M

Game series:
-RE 93M
-MH 58M
-SF 43M
-Mega Man 35M
-DMC 20M
-MvC 9.3M
-Dragon's Dogma 4.8M
-Okami 2.8M
I'm a little surprised at Iceborne sales in relation to MHW, though I gotta say I'm one of the ones who hasn't upgraded yet.

Vawn

Banned
Capcom has been releasing a lot of good stuff.

I appreciate how diverse their games are compared to other publishers. Look at Ubisoft, for example. Almost every game follows the same formula of going to map markers, climbing towers to unlock more map markers, taking down outposts, etc.

Capcom is giving us Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, etc.

yurinka

I'm a little surprised at Iceborne sales in relation to MHW, though I gotta say I'm one of the ones who hasn't upgraded yet.
As I mentined these numbers are as of September 30th. We know more recent sales numbers from MHW and Iceborn, but not from the other games.

Look at Ubisoft, for example. Almost every game follows the same formula of going to map markers, climbing towers to unlock more map markers, taking down outposts, etc.
Yes, Just Dance, For Honor, The Crew, South Park, Trials, Anno, Space Junkies, Skull & Bones, Beyond Good & Evil, The Settlers, Hungry Shark World, Roller Champions, Starlink, Transference, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, Trackmania, Mario + Rabbids, Eagle Fight, Grow Home/Grow Up, their mobile games and so on are exactly 100% like that. For sure.

Last edited:

The Shepard

As I mentined these numbers are as of September 30th. We know more recent sales numbers from MHW and Iceborn, but not from the other games.

Yes, Just Dance, For Honor, The Crew, South Park, Trials, Anno, Space Junkies, Skull & Bones, Beyond Good & Evil, The Settlers, Hungry Shark World, Roller Champions, Starlink, Transference, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, Trackmania, Mario + Rabbids, Eagle Fight, Grow Home/Grow Up, their mobile games and so on are exactly 100% like that. For sure.

I'm guessing he means breakpoint, far cry 5, division 2 and assassins creed oddessy having the same formula and he wouldn't be wrong. I used to like those series but there feeling very samey and it's getting a bit stale. I'd rather them feel a bit more unique to each other then follow the same kinda template, I'm sure ubi themselves have said this to.

Eanox

Capcom is doing awesome since 2017, Also with the success of MHW also made them very profitable. I hope they make a New IP. An open world one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
b. During the period under review the total number of stores reached 40 with the opening of Capcom Store Tokyo in Shibuya Parco (Tokyo), a dedicated retail shop that sells character merchandise and represents a new business endeavor for Capcom, as well as two new arcades: Plaza Capcom Ikebukuro (Tokyo) and Plaza Capcom Fujiidera (Osaka).
Oh snap they opened a store in Shibuya? I should have went when I had the chance.

mejin

where are the nintendo fans telling MH was doomed cause it was abandoning nintendo platforms? lol

anyway, I wonder what Capcom will make for PS5.

Oops, my bad for missing that specific detail.

I'm just curious to know roughly how many MHW owners upgraded to Iceborne.

yurinka

anyway, I wonder what Capcom will make for PS5.
They mentioned that in a year that for Street Fighter VI want to see the console in the market and see what new things it and its games offer in order to design the game from scratch considering it, and also mentioned that won't be able to say they started to develop it until late 2020 or 2021. They also hinted Resident Evil 8, DMC6 or a Monster Hunter World sequel, which are obvious projects considering MHW, DMCV, REVII and RE2R success and how much they like to make sequels.

In addition to this, they are also very happy with the recent Mega Man 11 or the Mega Man compilations, so it's likely to see Mega Man 12, Mega Man X9 and/or new Mega Man compilations in the next gen.

And well, as I remember they didn't release a new AAA IP since a lot of time ago so maybe we'll see one in the start of this gen. They mentioned that in the future want to double down their efforts in eSports, so they may release more eSports friendly games, like fighting games. And they also mentioned that want to bring back classic IPs so expect some compilations of old games, and if lucky maybe some sequel/reboot/remake.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Imagine when they release the next Monster Hunter on Switch? That things going to set the charts on fire.

EDMIX

Well deserved, Capcom is on fire and back on it's feet after the stumble they experienced at the start of the generation and i dare say they are back to their PS1-PS2 days in terms of game quality.

I wouldn't say all that.

They are doing better now then before, but remember those days. Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha, DMC, God Hand, Monster Hunter...all new IP, 1 generation.

Until we get the classics like Resident Evil and Street fighter and DMC along side some ace new IP, they are still working on getting back to form.

yurinka

Capcom updated their Platinum Titles page and Game Series Sales page, updating it until December 31st:
-MHW 14.9M (+800K)
-RE7 7.0M (+200K)
-RE2R 5.8M (+1.1K)
-SFV 4.1M (+200K)
-DMCV 3.1M =
-MvCi 1.4M =
-Mega Man Legacy Collecitoin 1.1M =
-SF30th AC 1.1M (+100K)
-Mega Man 11 1.1M (+100K)
(Please notice these ones are updated when they achieve every 100K update)

-RE 95M (+2M)
-MH 60M (+2M)
-SF 44M (+1M)
-Mega Man 35M =
-DMC 21M (+1M)
-MvC 9.3M =
-Dragon's Dogma 4.8M (+100K)
-Okami 2.8M =
(Please notice these ones are updated when they achieve every 100K update in minor IPs and every 1M update in major IPs)

-MHW 14.1M
-RE7 6.8M
-RE2R 4.7M
-SFV 3.9M
-MHW Iceborne 2.8M
-MvCi 1.4M
-Mega Man 11 1.0M

Game series:
-RE 93M
-MH 58M