• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom releases new gameplay footage of Street Fighter VR: Shadaloo Empowerment Project

Street Fighter VR was released in arcade set-ups, but now it seems they are using more portable standalone headsets instead of the arcade hook-up they showed earlier.

Most likely it's going to be ported to Home VR headset or headsets.

Although it looks kind of basic and not very involved. Like those early VR boxing games that felt like tech demos, but with Street Fighter characters involved. I can see why it was intended for arcades first. I suppose a home VR port could ass a few new moves and maybe take advantage of the new controllers and add a couple more characters. But if it's that basic for the CPU a verses mode would be equally as lacking.

The lady in the video screaming aside, isn't really doing much if you pay attention to what she does and how it translates on the screen. It does looke interesting but because they have the CPU doing acrobatics but then when it's time to fight, you're approach generically.

I'm not saying you should be able to spin and do flying tornado kicks with the sensors, but I feel they could do more.

DaGwaphics

Looks kind of weird to be honest. The enemy character constantly jumping almost out of view would be annoying and can you imagine if the opponent kept jumping behind you.

This could be a game that is hilarious to watch as a spectator though (not spectating the gameplay, but the the VR players falling down trying to play). I'm not sure how you could get SF working well in VR with how acrobatic it is, something more "MMA like" you could see working like this. I'd like to see what the camera does when the players character is doing aerial maneuvers.

ABnormal

Bah. It's not the kind of things that really work in VR. Monkeying signature animations from a 2d game will never go anywhere. On the contrary, it's the kind of things that result in depreciating the medium. People who try this kind of things will think that it's not fun or worthy.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Bah. It's not the kind of things that really work in VR. Monkeying signature animations from a 2d game will never go anywhere. On the contrary, it's the kind of things that result in depreciating the medium. People who try this kind og things will think that it's not fun or worthy.

I guess? It's just a little arcade novelty game (which may or may not get a home release), sort of a Punch-Out or a rhythm-action game in VR with SF characters.

It's not a addition in the argument for VR in establishing the medium as an important interactive format, but this is not intended to be a core game release and no tourney player would be buying this (if it's even actually sold) and confusing Street Fighter VR for a real SF game. This is just a thing to mess around with using characters people like.

but this is not intended to be a core game release
This is just a thing to mess around with using characters people like.
I think that's the issue ABnormal ABnormal has with it. Many VR owners are wanting more full experiences rather than bite sized novelties, and people on the fence when it comes to VR, like myself, are waiting to see how VR will grow and if that's all it will be. However, I do think a well made punch-out style VR game is still a good idea.

ABnormal

I guess? It's just a little arcade novelty game (which may or may not get a home release), sort of a Punch-Out or a rhythm-action game in VR with SF characters.

It's not a addition in the argument for VR in establishing the medium as an important interactive format, but this is not intended to be a core game release and no tourney player would be buying this (if it's even actually sold) and confusing Street Fighter VR for a real SF game. This is just a thing to mess around with using characters people like.
You are probably right. After all, Capcom is one of the SH that understand VR the most.

I think that's the issue ABnormal ABnormal has with it. Many VR owners are wanting more full experiences rather than bite sized novelties, and people on the fence when it comes to VR, like myself, are waiting to see how VR will grow and if that's all it will be. However, I do think a well made punch-out style VR game is still a good idea.
I think that a more involved one on one VR fighting game can work, I think the issue here is they have the characters(CPU) doing stunts you can't do and then charge toward you generically for some basic punches.

CamHostage

Sure, VR needs marque games, but a "real" Street Fighter in VR, that's a big production requiring good direction and solid budget. (It's also probably not something most gamers are expecting right now, even VR fans.) This is just a toy which we only know about because Youtube lets us watch Japanese content about arcade novelty releases. (As far as I know, there is no worldwide home product announcement yet, correct?) Maybe some day they'll do a more robust SF in VR (probably not though, it doesn't feel like a franchise which could bend to that format well, even in a third-person cam viewpoint it would not work since it'd break Chun-Li wall-jumps or the look of big cinematic finishers which fly around the arena,) but for now, it'd almost be better if SF fans didn't even know this existed unless they happened into a Japanese arcade installation with a bunch of quarters in their pockets...

Last edited:
Top Bottom