• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sales updates game and series sales as of June 31, 2021 (REVIII 4.5M, MHR 7.3M,

yurinka

As happens every quarter, Capcom updated their Platinum Titles page to update shipment numbers of their games that shipped 1M+ copies. These are the changes introduced this quarter:
  • Resident Evil Village 4.5M (new)
  • Monster Hunter Rise 7.3M (+2.5M)
  • Strider (HD & 4K gens) 1M (old game that reached 1M now)
  • Resident Evil Revelations Collection 1M (old game that reached 1M now)
  • Resident Evil VII 9.8M (+800K)
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake 8.6M (+500K)
  • Monster Hunter World Iceborne 8.2M (+500K)
  • Street Fighter V 5.8M (+300K)
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake 4.4M (+400K)
  • Monster Hunter World 17.3M (+200K)
  • Devil May Cry 5 4.5M (+200K)
  • Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD (PC) 1.6M (+200K)
  • Resident Evil 5 (HD gen) 7.9M (+100K)
  • Resident Evil 6 (HD gen) 7.9M (+100K)
  • Resident Evil Remake (PS3) 3.1M (+100k)
  • Resident Evil 0 (HD & 4K gens) 3.0 (+100K)
  • Resient Evil Revelations 2 (HD & 4K gens) 2.8M (+100K)
  • Resident Evil 4 (4K gen) 2.3M (+100K)
  • Resident Evil 5 (4K gen) 2.2M (+100K)
  • Dragon's Dogma (PC) 2.1M (+100K)
  • SF30thAC 1.9M (+100K)
  • Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition 1.7M (+100K)
  • Okami HD (4K gen+Switch) 1.7M (+100K)
  • Mega Man 11 1.4M (+100K)
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4+Switch) 1.2M (+100K)
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (4K gen) 1.2M (+100K)
  • DMC Definitive Edition 1.2M (+100K)
  • Dead Rising (4K gen) 1.2M (+100K)

Thay also updated their Game Series Sales page, where each series get updated every million when over 10M, every 100K when under 10M:
  • Resident Evil 117M (+7M)
  • Monster Hunter 75M (+3M)
  • Devil May Cry 24M (+1M)
  • Mega Man 37M (+1M)
  • Dragon's Dogma 5.9M (+200K)
  • Marvel vs Capcom 10M (+100K)
  • Ace Attorney 8.2M (+100K)
  • Okami 3.5M (+100K)
Edit: Fuck, I have a typo in the thread title and can't edit it) xD

Last edited:

Same ol G

Rise is amazing, and people were wondering why Capcom would make a Switch exclusive.
Can't wait for the expansion.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I suppose Capcom is happy with those MHR sales on Switch. Looking at Village, which released half a month later on more platforms and with higher production costs, can't understand why they aren't all in on the little Nintendo hybrid

yurinka

So I guess third party games can be blockbusters on Switch if third parties put in a little effort for Switch owners instead of old, quick and dirty ports.
Monster Hunter is a very unique and rare case, an insane success on Japanese portables market.

I suppose Capcom is happy with those MHR sales on Switch. Looking at Village, which released half a month later on more platforms and with higher production costs, can't understand why they aren't all in on the little Nintendo hybrid
I asuume they don't port it to Switch because it would require a lot of effort and would like too bad compared to the other versions.

Last edited:
Love the MHW and Iceborne numbers.
Sequel 100% incoming.
Imagine a next-gen only MHW2.

jizz in my pants GIF

Marty-McFly

Banned
Monster Hunter is a very unique and rare case, an insane success on Japanese portables market.
It's no different than any other third party online blockbuster, the only difference is Capcom actually put the effort in to cultivate a fanbase of Nintendo Monster Hunter fans.

yurinka

It's no different than any other third party online blockbuster, the only difference is Capcom actually put the effort in to cultivate a fanbase of Nintendo Monster Hunter fans.
Yes, MH is very different and unique case.

Monster Hunter games for portables sold insane amount of copies in Japan for previous portables, not comparable at all to any other 3rd party games. And this portable MH games crazyness started on PSP, not in Nintendo. In fact, the best selling MH game after World, Icebone and Rise is still a PSP game.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Yes, MH is very different and unique case.

Monster Hunter games for portables sold insane amount of copies in Japan for previous portables, not comparable at all to any other 3rd party games. And this portable MH games crazyness started on PSP, not in Nintendo.
To be fair only 2.5 million of those sales came from Japan.

That means it sold 5 million more worldwide.

Just like MH World became a huge success to new gamer's worldwide.

I don't think it's a very special case. Look at games like Hades and Hollow Knight on Switch.

Switch owners just want third parties to step up their game.

Last edited:

yurinka

To be fair only 2.5 million of those sales came from Japan.

That means it sold 5 million more worldwide.

Just like MH World became a huge success to new gamer's worldwide.

I don't think it's a very special case. Look at games like Hades and Hollow Knight on Switch.

Switch owners just want third parties to step up their game.
It's very rare to see a big selling game selling a third of its copies in Japan. But yes, like MH World it's a worldwide success. It also helps that it's going to be mostly the only huge selling 2021 Switch game until Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

Congrats Capcom! Resident Evil 7 about to reach 10 million...

If RETURNAL is a MEGA-HIT at 560k I wonder how Sony would describe that? :messenger_grinning:
REVII was released on PS4, XBO, Switch, PC, Luna and Stadia, platforms with several hundreds of millions of players and sold almost 10M in 4 years and a half, and is a big AAA game from one of the best selling brands in videogames history.

Returnal was released on a single console when it had around 8 million units sold, and sold >560K in barely a couple of months and is a niche new IP from a team who makes their first AAA.

Returnal achieved a way better attach rate than REVII in a very small period of time even if it's a way smaller project. So yes, it's a big hit and must be happy with these early sales numbers.

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
Really strong numbers for Rise, maybe 10M isn’t that far off (especially once PC version releases)
You gotta remember these numbers are as of June 30,2021, which is a month after the game got released

RE titles are evergreen, remember RE 7 reached 3.5M milestone in April 2017 (three months after release), and yet it kept having legs over the years reaching 10M copies now

Village is already outselling 7 tracking it’s numbers, and im willing to bet it’ll be the best selling RE game after a year or two

onesvenus

I asuume they don't port it to Switch because it would require a lot of effort and would like too bad compared to the other versions.
Oh, I wasn't proposing porting Village to Switch but creating something specific for it.
If I were Capcom I'd be greenlighting games from all major IPs to Switch: much lower budget and possible bigger gains. It's a win win.

Really strong numbers for Rise, maybe 10M isn’t that far off (especially once PC version releases)

You gotta remember these numbers are as of June 30,2021, which is a month after the game got released

RE titles are evergreen, remember RE 7 reached 3.5M milestone in April 2017 (three months after release), and yet it kept having legs over the years reaching 10M copies now

Village is already outselling 7 tracking it’s numbers, and im willing to bet it’ll be the best selling RE game after a year or two
To be fair we should also account for the budget which we don't know. I'd bet in the end Rise ends up being more profitable than Village, that's why I was saying they should have shown much bigger support to the little hybrid.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So glad RE2 Remake is doing so well and Capcom is reaping the rewards for doing this after we wanted it for so long.

Why? Because... do the fukken same thing with Dino Crisis now Capcom!!

kyoji

If RETURNAL is a MEGA-HIT at 560k I wonder how Sony would describe that? :messenger_grinning:

It's very rare to see a big selling game selling a third of its copies in Japan. But yes, like MH World it's a worldwide success. It also helps that it's going to be mostly the only huge selling 2021 Switch game until Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

REVII was released on PS4, XBO, Switch, PC, Luna and Stadia, platforms with several hundreds of millions of players and sold almost 10M in 4 years and a half, and is a big AAA game from one of the best selling brands in videogames history.

Returnal was released on a single console when it had around 8 million units sold, and sold >560K in barely a couple of months and is a niche new IP from a team who makes their first AAA.

Returnal achieved a way better attach rate than REVII in a very small period of time even if it's a way smaller project. So yes, it's a big hit and must be happy with these early sales numbers.
people gona be so hurt when little ole returnal racks up on so many awards at the end of the year

b6a6es

Banned
To be fair we should also account for the budget which we don't know. I'd bet in the end Rise ends up being more profitable than Village, that's why I was saying they should have shown much bigger support to the little hybrid.

Rise runs on the same game engine as Village (a modified RE Engine), which meant they had to rebuild alot of assets for the game and not reuse any like they did with Village (since World runs on MT Framework), and visually Rise looks way better than any game I’ve ever seen on 7th gen consoles

and while Rise will be definitely be more profitable due to DLC’s/MTX, having a real polished game on switch doesn’t necessarily means that it’s cheap, remember that BOTW Costed 120M$ to make while Horizon costed 45M$, it all comes down to the scale, staff and polishing of such project to determine it’s budget

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

The other thing that's impressive is how new entries in the Resi franchise seem to fuel back sales of older entries (unlike many big franchises like FIFA and COD which cannibalise their own sales when a new entry appears).

Returnal is a sales disaster and it is highly unlikely it will have any legs. There’s 0 buzz around it. Housemarque has 80k twitter followers which is quite low. Sorry, in 2021 selling half a million copies is unquestionable disaster. Maybe in 1997 it would have been decent but not today.

Game is awesome though. Tough to get going at the start but after few dozens of hours it becomes gameplay poetry. Marketing was very bad though, good luck starring middle-aged woman again in any AAA game.

On Capcom, I’m amazed how successful they have become recently. 10M for RE7 is stunning, horror games are not that mainstream really. MH2 release will be almost GTA-like event, it’s that popular. They need to hurry the fuck up with it though because I wanna play new MH on my PS5, not glorified calculator.

yurinka

Returnal is a sales disaster and it is highly unlikely it will have any legs. There’s 0 buzz around it. Housemarque has 80k twitter followers which is quite low. Sorry, in 2021 selling half a million copies is unquestionable disaster. Maybe in 1997 it would have been decent but not today.
Over 560K in a couple of months for a console with only around 8M units sold is great in 2021 and in 1997, specially if it's a new IP for a niche genre. And yes, in 2021 first couple of months games only generate a small portion of its revenue specially when it's a very well reviewed launch window game.

Last edited:

onesvenus

remember that BOTW Costed 120M$ to make while Horizon costed 45M$
We don't have any confirmation whatsoever of that to be true.
In the general meeting of Nintendo shareholders Miyamoto said Nintendo was looking to sell 2 millions worldwide of the games they produce because 300000 copies didn't cover the budget anymore.That doesn't mean 2 million copies sold are needed to be profitable.Those 120M$ you cite come from multiplying 60$ per 2M. It was bad reporting at the time, nothing else. Even if we take that 2M to be profitable as fact, thinking they get the whole 60$ for each copy sold is crazy.
But anyway, that's completely off-topic.

ethomaz

Banned

A solid franchise released in several platforms sold more than a new IP exclusive for PS5.

You guys are really out of options for nonsense lol

ethomaz

Banned
MH World numbers are really unbelievable… I never thought the franchise could reach that weighs.

REVII proving first person view was a big hit… now it is basically the best selling RE even if you add up re-releases from the old games.

Village did fine… the same the previous games like REVII or REmake… let’s see how the legs works.

BTW Village needs the PSVR2 ASAP.

Last edited:
Just look at series sales history and you would understand that right now MH and RE have very different market, performance and trajectory. We have a lot of data here on gaf, come on

Probably Capcom best selling series ever

They also updated their Game Series Sales page, where each series get updated every million when over 10M, every 100K when under 10M:

Resident Evil 117M (+7M)
Monster Hunter 75M (+3M)
Devil May Cry 24M (+1M)
Mega Man 37M (+1M)
Dragon's Dogma 5.9M (+200K)
Marvel vs Capcom 10M (+100K)
Ace Attorney 8.2M (+100K)
Okami 3.5M (+100K)

I mean, that's right in the op, how hard it is?

Last edited:
Top Bottom