• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom shares sales figures & reveal 91.5% digital sales -8.5% physical sales split

Woopah

Wow, that's crazy....physical is pretty much done. It's not even going to make sense to press disks soon.

Sadge
So japan accounted for 5250 of the sales, and total physical units is 1800. So even if you make some unrealistic assumption about how much of those are japanese sales your still looking at digital taking over there aswell.
These numbers are heavily skewed by Sunbreak being digital only outside Japan
Is RE4 digital only? Or it will be physical too? If it has a physical release, the 2023 estimate is still at 90% digital.
That estimate is fiscal year not calendar year I believe (so until the end of March 2023). Therefore that digital % would still be heavily impacted by Sunbreak.

Stuart360

I wouldnt worry about digital game prices guys. Once Xbox and Playstation go digital only (i.e. next gen), console key sites will be all over the place, like with PC, and you will be buying new games $10-20 cheaper if yuo know where to look.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wouldnt worry about digital game prices guys. Once Xbox and Playstation go digital only (i.e. next gen), console key sites will be all over the place, like with PC, and you will be buying new games $10-20 cheaper if yuo know where to look.
PS have shown how easy it is to pull these keys and force you to buy at their price. I can see legislation stopping it if the other 2 try.

On Xbox and Switch it’s piss easy to switch regions on your main account to redeem even cheaper keys.

Falling right into their trap. Once there isn't physical, there will be no way to find good deals. You pay what is on the digital store or fuck off and there will be no other way around it. If people are pissed at $70 games, just wait till you have no choice, and pay whatever they want to sell it to you then.

Stuart360

PS have shown how easy it is to pull these keys and force you to buy at their price. I can see legislation stopping it if the other 2 try.

On Xbox and Switch it’s piss easy to switch regions on your main account to redeem even cheaper keys.
I'm not 100% certain but i think once they go digital only, they will have to allow third party keys on their store fronts. I'm sure there was some ruling with the PC store fronts. I mean even EA and Ubisoft allow third party keys on their launchers, and no way would they do that if they had a choice, especially EA lol.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hopefully in the end the EU will step in and say they must sell keys via third party or allow rival store fronts on each console.
I have experienced this digital physical situation going from a healthy physical games country to a dying one and it is abysmal.

kingwingin

I'm fine with major publishers killing off physical media as long as smaller companies like lrg can press their own batch with patches on disc. Would be the better outcome for everyone involved

Topher

Gold Member
Strange how Capcom made certain to highlight that the high digital share was mainly due to digital only Sunbreak DLC and sales of older games on digital stores and yet folks are taking this as an indicative digital split % for the entire market.

You read the same thing I did. Too bad few others did.

kevm3

"B-B-BUH-BUT MY RESELLING AND PHYSICAL COLLECTIONS ON MY IKEA BOOKSHELF AND GAME SHARING WITH MY NONEXISTENT FRIENDS AND STUFF"
Considering what these retro games go for, the reselling of a physical collection point isn't a void one. The problem now is that a lot of games are not really on the 'disc' any more. You can't just pop them in and start playing them without an internet collection. They usually have some launcher on there and you still have to download some huge file from the internet, so discs now are essentially worthless. However, games on older systems, you can often sell a lot of them for hundreds of dollars. I love digital, but we have to admit that digital has given publishers a lot more control. How much more often do disc games go on sale, despite it costing more to actually print up discs vs uploading the game to some storefront?

Future of "physical":

xu1i12u.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
They don't fucking know what they are saying, prices will only go up and without option to buy used games many people will just stop gaming.
And pirate... and when that happens, companies will start making discounts, like, you know, the ones we're getting all the time on digital storefronts... IDK, I MAYBE get your point but I don't see how that issue has already happened and solved... Are you guys new to digital somehow?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
And pirate... and when that happens, companies will start making discounts, like, you know, the ones we're getting all the time on digital storefronts... IDK, I MAYBE get your point but I don't see how that issue has already happened and solved... Are you guys new to digital somehow?

They don’t know third party key seller like Humble Bundle or Indiegala exist.

sachos

Well obviously they will sell more digital when the major release was a DLC. Look at past year when they released 2 full games, the split is the one we are more used to 70/30.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They don’t know third party key seller like Humble Bundle or Indiegala exist.
Not even that, the digital storefronts have absurd sales since forever and Steam even has a refund system that is completely fair IMO, that's why I can't get the "saving money" argument... Well, maybe because "buying and reselling" has never been an option to me, that I can see, but even then if it was, I would just go digital considering I get games on the cheap there more often than not

Not even that, the digital storefronts have absurd sales since forever and Steam even has a refund system that is completely fair IMO, that's why I can't get the "saving money" argument... Well, maybe because "buying and reselling" has never been an option to me, that I can see, but even then if it was, I would just go digital considering I get games on the cheap there more often than not
The selling part is really only applicable around launch. A game like Ragnarok I am buying the disc for $70 and a week or two later when I beat it I will be able to sell for at least $50, maybe $60 (before fee/shipping). If I bought it digital I would be stuck having paid $70 and I probably won't even play it again for a few years.

Agreed with sales though - I have zero problem buying any game digitally with sales, and the sales are usually really good. However if I couldn't resell it I would not have Ragnarok preordered right now and wouldn't buy it for a year or two at least.

MScarpa

But GAF told me Physical is the way to go.
I hope it all goes Digital and Subscription based. Fuck physical.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
The selling part is really only applicable around launch. A game like Ragnarok I am buying the disc for $70 and a week or two later when I beat it I will be able to sell for at least $50, maybe $60 (before fee/shipping). If I bought it digital I would be stuck having paid $70 and I probably won't even play it again for a few years.

Agreed with sales though - I have zero problem buying any game digitally with sales, and the sales are usually really good. However if I couldn't resell it I would not have Ragnarok preordered right now and wouldn't buy it for a year or two at least.
Well, even when I admit that it's a good advantage, that's exactly one of the problems companies would have with the format... I mean, come on, it's not out interest to defend but something we can at least understand or not? If people are buying and reselling all the time that's less money, and can't blame companies for trying to avoid that situation when some people exploit that system way too much.

I like having my library digital mostly because I like switching from game to game quickly and because I'm prone to move a lot (even between countries) so I'm very used to it, this is the POV of someone not emotionally attached to physical format anyway.

Well, even when I admit that it's a good advantage, that's exactly one of the problems companies would have with the format... I mean, come on, it's not out interest to defend but something we can at least understand or not? If people are buying and reselling all the time that's less money, and can't blame companies for trying to avoid that situation when some people exploit that system way too much.

I like having my library digital mostly because I like switching from game to game quickly and because I'm prone to move a lot (even between countries) so I'm very used to it, this is the POV of someone not emotionally attached to physical format anyway.
Oh yeah I totally get why a publisher would prefer digital only, definitely. I'm just explaining a use case for physical and why it is advantageous. Like I said if things go all digital I am absolutely going to keep buying games, just much less at launch. But hey, for a publisher that might end up as a wash for them anyway since they wouldn't have my second hand selling that cuts out another possible digital sale.

ANIMAL1975

I hope it all goes Digital and Subscription based. Fuck physical.
Ye fuck physical, i hope it All goes Digital in the future. I can see it now, you entering your home fucking machine to empty the jimmies because no touching in the future,,, just like that Stallone Sci Fi movie.

What a shame.
Leave it to people and they will choose their own doom
Embrace your all digital AI future
robot destroy GIF by VICE En Español

MScarpa

Ye fuck physical, i hope it All goes Digital in the future. I can see it now, you entering your home fucking machine to empty the jimmies because no touching in the future,,, just like that Stallone Sci Fi movie.
I'm guessing English isn't your first language because I have no clue what you're trying to say.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I wonder what will happen next gen. It is likely that there will be no disc drives in future consoles. So how do we physical bros get access to our old physical games then? Maybe you can send the discs to sony and microsoft and they convert it into digital licenses. Or both companies will sell a disc addon that you need attach to the console, to play your old physical games. In this regard, the future sucks.
I was going to say there's still movies, but eh hasn't that also suffered from the digital services?
Xbox also already has a good refund system.
You can claim a full digital refund up to 14 days after your purchase, and if you haven't played for several hours.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm guessing English isn't your first language because I have no clue what you're trying to say.

He is talking about virtual sex like in the movie Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock. Ironically he says "fuck physical".

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

I don't remember the name of the movie, it's in the a future with no crime, no swearing and no physical interactions, not even kissing. So people have fucking machines at home, this pretty chambers that connects to the brain and gives you a virtual fuck. All digital future.

Porcile

Physical makes the game itself far more memorable for me as there is some sentimentality in getting the boxed copy and having some memories associated with a an actual collection. Digital fine but the games just become another cheap consumable. Especially if you don't have FOMO you can eventually get the game with a 90% discount pretty much all of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoJ

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I wonder what will happen next gen. It is likely that there will be no disc drives in future consoles. So how do we physical bros get access to our old physical games then? Maybe you can send the discs to sony and microsoft and they convert it into digital licenses. Or both companies will sell a disc addon that you need attach to the console, to play your old physical games. In this regard, the future sucks.
An all-digital console with no disc option would kill a large chunk of backward compatibility.

Top Bottom