• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom shares sales figures & reveal 91.5% digital sales -8.5% physical sales split

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Yeah i still don't get why people are happy. I don't know about America but on day one retailers competition changes everything for me, 20 euros saved for every game and you can sell it, so fuck the digital store.
I don't get it either. They are getting a cock up their bum and told how they consume their media with 0 choice and take it with a smile. So Odd

This can’t be good. Worst part is there will be people that are actually happy and celebrating that companies will try to phase out physical. People hate choice I guess.

Last edited:

NickFire

Wow. I figured digital was growing fast but did not expect this fast. Guessing this will be the last generation with optical drives.

GHound

Pretty understandable when you actually take the context into consideration and don't just stop at the thread title. Almost had me worried there for a minute.

Naked Lunch

Physical is fucking dead dudes. Let that shit go. It died awhile back.
The fact you have to go thru specialized companies for many games, that only sell physical during certain windows, should tell you something.
Yall sound like music heads hanging on to cassettes and cds.

The new COD is shipping with 70mb on the disc, the size of an N64 game. Its over.
Dont like it? Find a new hobby or stick with retro.

Bragr

Banned
"B-B-BUH-BUT MY RESELLING AND PHYSICAL COLLECTIONS ON MY IKEA BOOKSHELF AND GAME SHARING WITH MY NONEXISTENT FRIENDS AND STUFF"
Here we are, in 2022, and Call of Duty and Fortnite kids are mocking people who put games on their shelves.

theoden-bernard-hill.gif

Gamer79

Physical is fucking dead dudes. Let that shit go. It died awhile back.
The fact you have to go thru specialized companies for many games, that only sell physical during certain windows, should tell you something.
Yall sound like music heads hanging on to cassettes and cds.

The new COD is shipping with 70mb on the disc, the size of an N64 game. Its over.
Dont like it? Find a new hobby or stick with retro.
I guess history does not teach you anything.

The Danger of going digital is potentially losing your entire library. Stadia refunded people but most do not. If you have 10,000 digital games, the company closes down for whatever reason, you lose all access to the games and your library is gone.

Gamer79

Here we are, in 2022, and Call of Duty and Fortnite kids are mocking people who put games on their shelves.

theoden-bernard-hill.gif
Do not worry dude. They will happily spend $10-$20 for some stupid outfit or dance move. Thank god the classic game libraries exist.

DaGwaphics

Good to see their catalog stuff doing so well. They are one of the publishers that puts some effort into keeping their back catalog always available. The free RE upgrades was good on them as well.

DaGwaphics

I wonder what will happen next gen. It is likely that there will be no disc drives in future consoles. So how do we physical bros get access to our old physical games then? Maybe you can send the discs to sony and microsoft and they convert it into digital licenses. Or both companies will sell a disc addon that you need attach to the console, to play your old physical games. In this regard, the future sucks.

There are rumors that Sony has a free standing drive coming, and MS has suspiciously lightened up on their disk based DRM. I expect if removing the drive was the plan, they will offer the addon drives as a way to block any type of PR nightmare.

That will cover old discs. Reality though would be that as soon as the disk drive is completely optional you'll start to see a lot of games never made available that way. And no I'm not cheering on the end of physical media, just pointing out the obvious conclusion, IMO.

Last edited:

Rykan

This can’t be good. Worst part is there will be people that are actually happy and celebrating that companies will try to phase out physical. People hate choice I guess.
Ehh most people "Celebrating" probably don't actually care that physicial media is an option. There's a vocal minority of incredibly annoying "Physical only" purists who just can't help themselves but belittle and mock anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Just have a gander at the "EA to stop selling physical games in Germanic countries" thread to see what I mean. Hard not to feel a little smug if it does happen.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Their biggest releases of the year were a Steam game and a DLC for Switch

Essentially they are able to earn big money without releasing their biggest titles on physical for the past 6 months (and the next 6 unless you count RE4 Remake in late March)

Naked Lunch

I guess history does not teach you anything.

The Danger of going digital is potentially losing your entire library. Stadia refunded people but most do not. If you have 10,000 digital games, the company closes down for whatever reason, you lose all access to the games and your library is gone.
Ive been on steam building my library since launch - over 20 years ago. Can still access everything. 20 years from now i might be dead, heh.
Theres certain companies I wouldnt trust with digital who have a history of just turning off their services. Stadia you could see its ultimate failure a mile away - the 3DO of the modern era.

I hear you - I have a large physical game collection starting with the Intellivision. But ever since the Ps4/XB1 era, and especially now - the line has been crossed. It is what it is.
The simple fact is - if you want to follow modern games - youre going to have to go digital outside of increasingly obscure companies who still print physical copies. But with all the patching and such - physical games are rendered obsolete. History also teaches us, years past a console's lifespan - you can easily backup an entire library.

Ehh most people "Celebrating" probably don't actually care that physicial media is an option. There's a vocal minority of incredibly annoying "Physical only" purists who just can't help themselves but belittle and mock anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Just have a gander at the "EA to stop selling physical games in Germanic countries" thread to see what I mean. Hard not to feel a little smug if it does happen.
That’s interesting because I actually hear more digital purists ridicule physical media and even wish for its death because it’s not as convenient or “old fashioned”. Both types of fans can have their annoyances admittedly, but imho I really feel like the physical media gamers know what’s really going on in the industry with this heavy push for an all digital future. I like options and having both is advantageous to all gamers and I would hate to see a choice disappear especially with game prices increasing. I guess what perplexes me the most is why would gamers seemingly support the companies taking an option away. I feel both physical and digital can coexist and hope they do for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Some people bemoan the death of physical and the growth of paid dlc that previously would have been ‘part of the game’, mtx and the like. Part of the reason publishers embraced the later 2 so quickly was because people were reselling their games and retailers were taking the cut for flipping them, not publishers. So they thought hmmm, how do we still make money out of these rubes if they’re going to resell games to each other? Congrats team physical media, you played yourselves.

WoJ

I don't understand those cheering the death of physical. I'm someone who much prefers physical, but I will buy digital, just at a deep discount. But this cheering over the death of physical just confuses me.

Top Bottom