• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sold more retail software on Switch than all other platforms combined last fiscal year

Marty-McFly

Banned
Well that has to be a first. Good to see everyone doing well with third parties and Nintendo coming into their own with Switch.

From Capcom's fiscal report on Install Base.

Screenshot_20211029-164222.png

TidusYuna

The return of Monster Hunter to the switch is more likely what did it. You will also notice in 2018, Monster Hunter World came out and it was a big year for Sony.

Capcom 2021:
Resident Evil Village
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Ghost n Goblins Resurrection
Capcom Arcade Stadium

Capcom 2020:
Resident Evil 3
Megaman Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
Street Fighter V Championship Edition

Capcom 2019:
Shinsekai Into the Depths
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5

Capcom 2018:
Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle
Megaman 11
Megaman X Legacy Collection
Monster Hunter World
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
Street Fighter V Arcade Edition

Sauce: https://capcom.fandom.com/wiki/Category:2017_video_games

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I think that's just the nature of retail for the switch no? I mean if you look at pc sales, it only shows 850k units 2018-2020, even though MHW sold 6 million on pc by itself during that period.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
The return of Monster Hunter to the switch is more likely what did it. You will also notice in 2018, Monster Hunter World came out and it was a big year for Sony.

Capcom 2021:
Resident Evil Village
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Capcom Arcade Stadium

Capcom 2020:
Resident Evil 3

Capcom 2019:
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5

Capcom 2018:
Megaman 11
Monster Hunter World

MH Stories sales were beastin too, plus Capcom arcade Stadium and Ace.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

Weird how they split physical sales but digital downloads are all grouped together when they are bigger than all the physical sales combined.

anthony2690

Banned
Good, I hope other publishers take notice and release more AAA Switch exclusives
I don't know, they are third party, they would've got more sales if there was a playstation, Xbox and pc port too.

Whilst visually it looks way worst than MH:World, it has some excellent QOL features, that I hope world 2 steals.

And the less said about mh:stories 2 on switch the better, at the second city, I couldn't play no more, made me feel ill :(

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Whilst visually it looks way worst than MH:World, it has some excellent QOL features, that I hope world 2 steals.
Personally I actually like the visual design of Rise way more than world and Capcom made right choice making Rise ground up for Switch instead of making for PS/Xbox and then try to ported to Switch.

Thanks to that Rise actually runs better than World on PS4.

Goalus

Weird how they split physical sales but digital downloads are all grouped together when they are bigger than all the physical sales combined.
Indeed.
It would be much more interesting to see the digital sales distribution.

Some of these games are only on Switch.
MH Rise, MH Stories 2, 4th Megaman Rom collection for switch (lol), ghost and goblins

Yea capcom pads with low budget games or old ports for switch. While Resident Evil is there only major other release since world.

Last edited:

yurinka

Only 7M of the 30M copies shipped by Capcom are retail, 3.65M of these 7M are from Switch, now that it got two Monster Hunters and the timed console exclusive of Ghost and Goblins Resurrection and Capcom Arcade Cabinet in a year they didn't have a lot of competing new Switch supersellers.

It's sad to see retail games are becoming a very small part of the market even if not counting mobile.

Azurro

Banned
Turns out, if you make Switch games, you gonna sell a shitload of games on Switch. Mind blown.

Well, if you look at digital sales, those physical ones are a drop in the bucket almost.

The thread is a bit console warry, but the real news here is that 80% of the sales are digital for Capcom this time around. That's pretty impressive.

Last edited:

yurinka

Indeed.
It would be much more interesting to see the digital sales distribution.
There is another thread about the Capcom total sales for this quarter for each game.

In that other list they don't split by platform or by digital or physical, but knowing the platform of each game you see there that Switch is a minority portion of their total sales, and combined with the data of this thread, we see Switch is the only platform where a big percentage of its game sales are retail.

Nothing new, most other publishers report the same: they sell mostly digitally, and PS is the best selling platform for them. For them, like for Capcom, retail sales and Switch sales represent a minority.

This time Switch performed better than usual for Capcom because they just released 2 Switch only MH games and this year they only has a single big non Switch game. Not sure if Capcom will ever repeat this again.

Last edited:

reksveks

most other publishers report the same: they sell mostly digitally, and PS is the best selling platform for them.
Link to those?

I can only see ubisoft doing that by platform holders.

Pretty sure that T2, EA, Activision is doing it by console, pc, mobile

Goalus

There is another thread about the Capcom total sales for this quarter for each game.

In that other list they don't split by platform or by digital or physical, but knowing the platform of each game you see there that Switch is a minority portion of their total sales, and combined with the data of this thread, we see Switch is the only platform where a big percentage of its game sales are retail.

Nothing new, most other publishers report the same: they sell mostly digitally, and PS is the best selling platform for them. For them, like for Capcom, retail sales and Switch sales represent a minority.

This time Switch performed better than usual for Capcom because they just released 2 Switch only MH games and this year they only has a single big non Switch game. Not sure if Capcom will ever repeat this agsin
Thanks, but what I am most interested in is seeing physical/digital ratio on Xbox vs. physical/digital ratio on PS for as many instances as possible.

yurinka

Link to those?

I can only see ubisoft doing that by platform holders.

Pretty sure that T2, EA, Activision is doing it by console, pc, mobile
There are many different sources, sometimes game specific, sometimes publisher specific, sometimes platform holder specific (like Sony mentioning the percentage of digital sales of the total PS game sales, not only 1st party ones). Some of them are from sales news, like this random example: "41% of FIFA 22 sales were on PS4, 27% were on Xbox One, 23% on PS5, 5% on Nintendo Switch and 4% on Xbox Series S and X." (UK boxed sales).

Some others are from publisher official sales data or IR statements like the one posted in the OP from Capcom combined with other sales data they provide of this quearter and the previous one (both quarters are covered by the OP numbers). Other ones are from random statements from the companies elsewhere like Epic mentioning half of Fornite revenue is from PS4 in the Apple court docs.

Last edited:

reksveks

There are many different sources, sometimes game specific, sometimes publisher specific, sometimes platform holder specific (like Sony mentioning the percentage of digital sales of the total PS game sales, not only 1st party ones). Some of them are from sales news, like this random example: "41% of FIFA 22 sales were on PS4, 27% were on Xbox One, 23% on PS5, 5% on Nintendo Switch and 4% on Xbox Series S and X." (UK boxed sales).

Some others are from publisher official sales data or IR statements like the one posted in the OP from Capcom combined with other sales data they provide. Other ones are from random statements from the companies elsewhere like Epic mentioning half of Fornite revenue is from PS4 in the Apple court docs.

So I was asking for those other publishers.

The gameindustry.biz are a different set of numbers as you know, physical.

Epic is sadly a private company so can't rely on them to share that data consistently but that's another data point for my table so will include that.

We have
- capcom physical splits (yearly)
- epic revenue (one time)
- ubisoft revenue (quarterly)

Should add, I wasn't questioning the source for the physical and digital split as yes, that is well shared by publishers. However I would like to see if I am missing any sources of the platform splits.

Also not debating the fact that Sony makes more of a 3rd party revenue but trying to see how much more and how that ratio is trending.

Last edited:

Skifi28

But I thought Capcom would be stupid to make a Monster Hunter game for Switch?
Seeing how much World-Iceborne sold on the other consoles, it certainly looks stupid leaving all that money to the table. Nintendo must have opened their war chest for this.

Last edited:

yurinka

So I was asking for those other publishers.

The gameindustry.biz are a different set of numbers as you know, physical.

Epic is sadly a private company so can't rely on them to share that data consistently but that's another data point for my table so will include that.

We have
- capcom physical splits (yearly)
- epic revenue (one time)
- ubisoft revenue (quarterly)

Should add, I wasn't questioning the source for the physical and digital split as yes, that is well shared by publishers. However I would like to see if I am missing any sources of the platform splits.

Also not debating the fact that Sony makes more of a 3rd party revenue but trying to see how much more and how that ratio is trending.
Regarding Epic yes, as I mentioned it's an isolated case. But it matches many isolated cases as for when companies like EA, Ubi, Take 2 or Sega provides their numbers, or when we take numbers from sales. There seems to be a common pattern that when we get big 3rd parties company or game sales split by platform, PS is the more popular one. And when we get a physical vs digital split by them, almost always digital is basically always bigger.

About Sony, I didn't mean they more 3rd party revenue. I meant that in their quarterly financial report they report their total game sales (1st+3rd combined) and split them by digital vs physical. And digital sales are way bigger there too.

Regarding what I mentioned previously, about mixing the OP info with the Capcom game specific sales from the two quarters of the current FY to make a rough estimate of what % of total Capcom shipments are Switch games, and to estimate if % of physical Capcom shipped units for Switch this FY is higher in Switch than for the other platforms:

Mixing the two quarters of the current FY (shipped retail + digital sales):

Switch only (total 4M)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (+2.5M+200K)
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin - 1.3M (new)
Switch and others (total 0.7M)
  • Mega Man 11 (+100K+100K)
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary (+100K+100K)
  • Okami HD (4K gen+Switch SKU) (+100K)
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4+Switch SKU) (+100K+100K)
Not in Switch / Switch version not included in the SKU (total 11.8M)
  • Resident Evil Village (4.5M+300K)
  • Resident Evil VII 9.8M (+800K+400K)
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake (+500K+300K)
  • Monster Hunter World Iceborne (+500K+300K)
  • Street Fighter V (+300K+200K)
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake (+400K+200K)
  • Monster Hunter World (+200K+200K)
  • Devil May Cry 5 (+200K+200K)
  • Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD (PC) (+200K+100K)
  • Resident Evil 5 (HD gen) (+100K+100K)
  • Resident Evil 6 (HD gen) (+100K+100K)
  • Resident Evil Remake (HD gen) (+100k+100K)
  • Resident Evil 0 (HD & 4K gens) (+100K+100K)
  • Resient Evil Revelations 2 (HD & 4K gens) (+100K)
  • Resident Evil 4 (4K gen) (+100K+100K)
  • Resident Evil 5 (4K gen) (+100K+100K)
  • Dragon's Dogma (PC) (+100K)
  • Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (+100K)
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (4K gen) (+100K)
  • DMC Definitive Edition (+100K)
  • Dead Rising (4K gen) (+100K)
  • Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 1.8M (+100K)
  • Dead Rising 3 - 3M (+100K)
TOTAL 16.4M (real number should be higher than that, many games aren't included because didn't reach 1M and the ones included are only updated every 100K units shipped. Capcom says the total is 30.1M).

Out of them, 4M (~24%) are from games available in Switch and not in the other platforms. Even if we count all the units sold for games released for Switch and other platforms (0.7M, ~4%) as Switch sales, we'd had less than 30% of total (retail + digital) Capcom games for the FY being for Switch.

Retail Capcom sales for this FY are 6.95M units, being 3.65M (~52.5%) for Switch. We also know that out of the total 30.1M games shipped by Capcom this FY, 23.15M (~76.9%) were digital and 6.95M (~23%) retail.

So even if over half of Capcom's retail shipped units during this FY were for Switch, less than a third of the total shipped Capcom games were for Switch, because ~76.9% of the total Capcom shipped games this FY were digital, which implies non-Switch platorms combined sell more in digital than in retail both proportionally and in total.

TLDR: Capcom data seems to indicate that at least for their current FY the % of phisical sales in Switch is higher than in the other platforms. Capcom data also matches other 3rd parties indicating that Switch is a smaller part than the other platforms (~30% of the total game shipments for Capcom's current FY). Many other 3rd parties mention their best selling platform is PS, where we know an important majority of game sales are digital (appears in Sony's quarterly financial reports). We also know PC sales are mostly digital in general. Xbox has pretty much the same demographics and type of catalog than PS or PC, so I think it's fair to assume digital sales are higher than physical ones there too.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Its nice to see Capcom doing well in all platforms👍 no matter if its the Switch, PC or PlayStation those are impressive numbers

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I've bought tons of Capcom games on Switch. Resident Evil, Dragons Dogma, Okami, Street Fighter etc. It's so good having these franchises on the go. Especially RE.

Last edited:

Holammer

I understand OP might want to give the thread title a little narrative spin for the glory of Nintendo.
But c'mon, the real story here is how digital distribution is fucking mürdering retail. Just look at the numbers year by year, the trend is obvious.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Capcom 2021:
Resident Evil Village
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Capcom Arcade Stadium

Capcom 2020:
Resident Evil 3

Capcom 2019:
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5

Capcom 2018:
Megaman 11
Monster Hunter World

Resident Evil Village released in May so it actually misses the financial year cut off.
Which explains why Capcom sold most on Switch for 2021

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My bigger concern here is…..if I see Great Ace Attorney sold poorly I will curse every one of you motherf***kers.

Top Bottom