• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to Release Resident Evil Boxsets for 25th Anniversary, But Only in Japan

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With Resident Evil also celebrating its 25th anniversary earlier this year, the publisher is getting ready to launch a slew of boxsets to the gaming community. The downside to it is they're not going to be available worldwide.

The special Resident Evil sets will chronicle the franchise up to the latest installment. It will consist of three boxsets in total. The first will feature Resident Evil 0 and the remakes of the original three games. The second set will come with Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6, while the last set will have RE7, Village, and will also come with a series of art postcards. These new releases are to celebrate the series reaching a quarter of a century. Sadly, it seems as though they will only be available in the Japanese market. As of this article going live, there doesn't appear to be any plans to release to western countries. The boxsets are due for release in Japan on November 25th and will cost 5,900 Yen, or around $54.

Of course, that doesn't mean gamers in America or Europe won't be able to get hold of them, as there will be the opportunity to import the sets. However, according to a report from Rely on Horror, the remakes, as well as RE7 and Village are likely to be censored. It would be a shame if Capcom didn't release something to western audiences to celebrate Resident Evil's 25th anniversary, but it's entirely possible that something may be on the horizon that has yet to be announced.

Kuranghi

Totally bizarre to not wait until 9 is out so its 3 "trilogy" packs. Well its money obviously, gimme dat monnnneyyyy.

They crushed the blacks in a lot of that game footage, to the point where you can't see shit, it would be funny if these new versions actually looked like that too. I just find it funny when there are rare compilations of games released like this and you think "wow this must be the definitive edition then right!?" and some nerd is like nah they fucked loads of things up and the original version is still the best so you need to buy that for your collection as well.

Its the same with movies released on disc, The Thing just came out on 4K and its so much better IQ in every way for me but it doesnt contain the awesome 4.1 soundtrack from the 1080p bluray, thats usually licensing related rather than just rethinking an artistic choice as this is (its probably just the trailer anyway, not the games) but its still frustrating to just be re-dipping forever on media.

Totally bizarre to not wait until 9 is out so its 3 "trilogy" packs.
1-3 are very similar style games. 4-6 moved to the more third-person action shooters. 7 and 8 are basically one long game. 9 won't be a continuation of 8 and likely won't feel right as part of a "trilogy" with 7 and 8.

Kuranghi

1-3 are very similar style games. 4-6 moved to the more third-person action shooters. 7 and 8 are basically one long game. 9 won't be a continuation of 8 and likely won't feel right as part of a "trilogy" with 7 and 8.

I assumed 9 will have connections to 7 + 8 because of the ending cutscene of 8. Could be unrelated though yes.

Doom85

Already have physical PS4 copies of 0-8 and both Revelations games, but the art cards would be sweet to have depending on what/who’s on them. Also, they shouldn’t skip CV, its story is important in the continuity.

Pretty cool, but considering these games go on sale for very cheap the $54 per trilogy seems kind of steep. A bundle with 4-5-6 is currently on sale for $19.63. 2-3 bundle is $32, 0-1 bundle is $10, etc.

Kuranghi

I thought I read they were done with Ethan and his story after 8 (excluding future 8 DLC), but I could be wrong.

Have you not played Village? There is a post-credits cutscene that heavily implies 9 will be tied to the characters of 7 and 8 at the very least. Its pretty spoilerific so I can't really say what.

OrionNebula

I assumed 9 will have connections to 7 + 8 because of the ending cutscene of 8. Could be unrelated though yes.
We don’t know. I think the main producer recently left, so not sure if they’ll pursue with their plan

Also, that end scene in RE6 with Jake and his apple turned into absolutely nothing in the end, so it’s hard to say if they’ll truly pursue the Winters timeline or just move on to something else completely. Village, for the vast part, wrapped up the current Winters story

Jack Uzi

Banned
I wish they would give 2 and 3 the DMCV SE treatment because those games need to get their reflections sorted stat.

Star Wars Reaction GIF

Zambatoh

It would be great if Capcom ported the "original" trilogy to modern hardware. But alas, they haven't seen fit to do that since the Gamecube. And only for the 2nd and 3rd game.

CamHostage

Already have physical PS4 copies of 0-8 and both Revelations games, but the art cards would be sweet to have depending on what/who’s on them. Also, they shouldn’t skip CV, its story is important in the continuity.

Yeah, these boxset releases with bonus content are always weird, that somebody who has never owned these will be like, "OK, now I will check out this Resident Evil thing..."

It's made for double-dippers, and some people would do that, but you'd think there could be like a fanclub release of just the cases and artbooks, something actually celebrating the anniversary with the fans who made it last so long.

Top Bottom