• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom will charge a small fee for upgrading to the PS5 version in Japan (for RE7, RE2 and RE3)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The upgrade will be free on PC, and Xbox's Smart Delivery, but will carry a small cost for PS5.

The latest model versions of "Resident Evil 7 Biohazard", "Biohazard RE: 2", and "Biohazard RE: 3" will be released!
The masterpieces of the series produced by "RE ENGINE" will return with power-ups (* 1) suitable for the latest play environment, such as ray tracing, high frame rate, and 3D audio.

In addition, all three works will be compatible with the upgrade program (* 2) and smart delivery. The PC version will also be upgraded by patch distribution.

Stay tuned for more details.

(* 1) No new content will be added. The PlayStation 5 version will also support unique features such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.
(* 2) We plan to offer a small fee for upgrading to the PlayStation 5 version in Japan.

kingfey

Banned
Where are the guys who said, upgrade fees are good for developers? How do you like this now? Because this will be the future for gaming, if you want to upgrade your games to next gen. We the consumers will have to suffer the consequences of these actions now. I feel sorry for the japanese users, who will have to shell money now for these upgrades.

It was never a good thing to pay 10$ for upgrade. Now you will have to pay upgrades in the future, if companies follow Sony approach.

T-Cake

This seems so strange, is there a reason why japanese RE fans are getting screwed over?

6tzaG6m.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The goal is to normalize these behaviors. That is how mtx started. Once people were comfortable, companies will charge insane amount of money.
Aren't they doing it backwards, though?

Upgrades for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding carried $10/10€ costs (supposedly because they carried DLC content upgrades), and those targeted all markets, not just Japan.

kingfey

Banned
Aren't they doing it backwards, though?

Upgrades for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding carried $10/10€ costs (supposedly because they carried DLC content upgrades), and those targeted all markets, not just Japan.
That is how it works. Add little bit incentives to justify the upgrades, and people will spend money on it. The first mtx was golden armor horse, which gave boost to players.

A2una1

I think this has something to do with youth protection in the respective countries. Here in Germany for example you are only allowed to buy things in the psn when you are 18. So they use this to add a minimal fee (50cent) for titles that are USK 18. Since ff7r was USK 12 I think, this was not necessary....

I think this is how this works....

ethomaz

Banned
I think this has something to do with youth protection in the respective countries. Here in Germany for example you are only allowed to buy things in the psn when you are 18. So they use this to add a minimal fee (50cent) for titles that are USK 18. Since ff7r was USK 12 I think, this was not necessary....

I think this is how this works....
Just take note that others Japan upgrades for PS5 have the same fee… it was discussed at launch.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-japan-charging-¥100-for-some-free-ps5-upgrades.1577355/

The game that didn’t have the fee could not be upgraded in Japan like Yakuza Like the Dragon.

BTW it really looks like a government thing and not related to the rating but unfair prices.

My iPhone translation from the PR:

“※Upgrading from the PS4 version to the PS5 version was free (Related article), due to the judgment related to Japan's unfair prizes and the Unfair Labeling Prevention Act, the upgrade has been changed to paid correspondence.”

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But why fuck over Japanese gamers like this ? not that it's a big amount or anything ..

Makes no sense.. is it part of some law that we don't know about maybe ?

Last edited:

Calverz

This seems so strange, is there a reason why japanese RE fans are getting screwed over?
Probably because there are far fewer Xbox fans there and the majority will have no idea smart delivery exists. Therefore no fallout for capcom and opportunity to make a quick buck.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why does one need to upgrade? Most people have the PS4 and have played it there and it's backwards compatible

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Probably because there are far fewer Xbox fans there and the majority will have no idea smart delivery exists. Therefore no fallout for capcom and opportunity to make a quick buck.
Apparently from reading comments above, ff7 ps5 upgrade was only 100 yen (65p) so probably something to do with seperate SKU/laws I guess?

Assuming re2/3/7 remakes are also a 100yen

FingerBang

Sony didn't implement something like smart delivery, therefore their games are different products. The PS4 and PS5 versions of the games are different product and it turns out you can't give them away for free in Japan. So Sony/Capcom needs to charge that ridiculous fee (100 yen, it's basically nothing) to let people upgrade. If they were trying to make money out of it, they'd do it everywhere not only in Japan.

The game on Xbox and PC are one single product, so you already own it and you are just downloading an upgrade. This is why they're not "charging" anything, but apparently can't give it away for free.

Now please stop being stupid. It sucks, but there's nothing they can do about it and it's honestly so cheap it's not an issue.

kingfey

Banned
Sony didn't implement something like smart delivery, therefore their games are different products. The PS4 and PS5 versions of the games are different product and it turns out you can't give them away for free in Japan. So Sony/Capcom needs to charge that ridiculous fee (100 yen, it's basically nothing) to let people upgrade. If they were trying to make money out of it, they'd do it everywhere not only in Japan.

The game on Xbox and PC are one single product, so you already own it and you are just downloading an upgrade. This is why they're not "charging" anything, but apparently can't give it away for free.

Now please stop being stupid. It sucks, but there's nothing they can do about it and it's honestly so cheap it's not an issue.
This makes some sense. I was about to put them on the shit list.

Also, fuck any company which charges upgrade fees, without any dlc contents.

ethomaz

Banned
I think OP can be updated with the official PR from Borderlands because most are blaming Capcom yet.

“※Upgrading from the PS4 version to the PS5 version was free (Related article), due to the judgment related to Japan's unfair prizes and the Unfair Labeling Prevention Act, the upgrade has been changed to paid correspondence.

Last edited:
Why does one need to upgrade? Most people have the PS4 and have played it there and it's backwards compatible
The PS5 upgrade will include improvements such as faster loading, ray tracing, better frame rates and I’m assuming slightly improved graphics?

Last edited:
Playstation owner get two licenses. PS4 and PS5 copy. You can have 3 consoles playing one game.

Xbox your just getting a update. PS your getting a whole different Sku.

Mr Moose

It wasn't in Japan

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...emake-intergrade-arrives-on-ps5-june-10-2021/

***To upgrade the PlayStation 4 disc version of the game to the digital PS5 version, you’ll need a PS5 console with a disc drive. Users in Japan can upgrade for 100 Yen (tax included).
That's like $1 or something, seems a bit weird it's only in Japan.
I think OP can be updated with the official PR from Borderlands because most are blaming Capcom yet.

“※Upgrading from the PS4 version to the PS5 version was free (Related article), due to the judgment related to Japan's unfair prizes and the Unfair Labeling Prevention Act, the upgrade has been changed to paid correspondence.
Never mind, that's why. Still seems weird. How is it unfair?

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
Japanese people were the first to spend fortunes for ringtones so much that it became a part of music sales revenues for some times.

Their old grannies pachinko became a digital trend, and gacha in japan is some of the worst, unregulated in the world.

And much, much more.

Why wouldn't you abuse the japanese market? The fee is a good idea for japan, a bad practice everywhere else because on this front people have more decent resisting behavior.

Last edited:

McCheese

Due to Japanese laws you instead get given a resident evil pachinko ball which you then send to Sony to exchange for an upgrade code

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PC players not paying anything because they can literally just turn the settings up in the options for the "next gen experience": :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
But why fuck over Japanese gamers like this ? not that it's a big amount or anything ..

Makes no sense.. is it part of some law that we don't know about maybe ?
Who is being fucked over though? It's less than a dollar and you're getting something you aren't owed, was never promised, was never expected and is unnecessary? If you don't want to spend a dollar don't upgrade. If you can't afford a dollar, buy the original version and enjoy the finished product as it has been since release. This is a whole lot of nothing to be outraged over.

NonPhixion

Damn you mean we can’t blame Sony, like some probably wanted to, for a Japanese legal policy. Some of you must be disappointed, yet I see some of you still tried. Keep it up.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Who is being fucked over though? It's less than a dollar and you're getting something you aren't owed, was never promised, was never expected and is unnecessary? If you don't want to spend a dollar don't upgrade. If you can't afford a dollar, buy the original version and enjoy the finished product as it has been since release. This is a whole lot of nothing to be outraged over.

Yes clearly that post you quoted was made before i found the amount :p

but still it's a weird precedent that it's a free upgrade in 2 regions and not in 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom