• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania 35th Anniversary retrospective; because this series has been around as long as I have been ALIVE

VGEsoterica

I will use one thread for all of this but damn it I am hyped on talking about every mainline Castlevania game ever made because its wild to think that A) this series has been around for 35 years b) I was around for all the releases (a bit young to play the originals) and C) that Konami nailed the formula straight out of the gate and launched one of the most iconic franchises in video game history (lets ignore the fact they have kind of ruined it lately)

For a 35 year old game somehow Castlevania still feels fresh AF and as good as the first time I played it. The classic Hammer movie monsters that were utilized to create a beastiary for Simon to fight, the graphics and level progression...and of course the music! This is where some of the most iconic tracks in video game composition got their start. Even if the more recent games in the series have been meh at least they still have great soundtracks.

But I am curious GAF...how many of you were around for the NES original, and what is your fav game in the series? Also who now feels OLD knowing this game is basically firmly middle aged lolol

I was around , looking back it was when Castlevania 4 for SNES arrived that I really enjoyed the series. An amazing game with a incredible soundtrack, the prologue still gives me chills.

Davevil

Play the shit over the first episode, then year later jump directly in SOTN
The memories of the evenings spent in my childhood trying to beat the game on a very old crt will always remain etched in my career as a gamer

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Play the shit over the first episode, then year later jump directly in SOTN
The memories of the evenings spent in my childhood trying to beat the game on a very old crt will always remain etched in my career as a gamer
same. I played SotN on a 20" Sony CRT in my bedroom in the dark and damn those were GOOD times

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My first Castlevania was 2. The next one I played was Adventure on the Game Boy. Next came SOTN.

Looking back, it’s weird that I never really knew the Classicvania template before it became retro. Only through emulation I would later discover the NES and SNES games, and much later Rondo on the Wii (which is my favorite Classicvania by far). Yeah, I guess Adventure was like the classics, but it plays so much worse it could be considered its own thing.

VGEsoterica

My first Castlevania was 2. The next one I played was Adventure on the Game Boy. Next came SOTN.

Looking back, it’s weird that I never really knew the Classicvania template before it became retro. Only through emulation I would later discover the NES and SNES games, and much later Rondo on the Wii (which is my favorite Classicvania by far). Yeah, I guess Adventure was like the classics, but it plays so much worse it could be considered its own thing.
Yes for some people Metroidvania IS Castlevania

kunonabi

CV was my jam growing up and still one of my favorite series even if I don't really care for the Castletroids.

Personal favorite is CV64 which is my third favorite game of all time.

i had NES but those early games never clicked with me for whatever reason. The Castlevania games that clicked with me that i played the most of, are the ones ppl don't like lol.

Bloodlines on Genesis and Lords of Shadow on PS3.

Yes, I was there from "the start" and it goes without saying that Castlevania is one of the greatest series in gaming history.

SoTN is undoubtedly my favourite, it's one of the finest games of all time, nevermind within the franchise. Mode 7 effects in Super Castlevania 4 were a sight to behold back when parallax scrolling was something new. I quite enjoyed Castlevania 64 (widely considered the worst in the series) and *loved* Lords of Shadow (a little bit of GoW, dash of SoTC, epic adventure narrated by Patrick Stewart no less) but never did play it's sequel.

Curse of the Moon games remain faithful to the original formula while Ritual of the Night was a worthy spiritual successor to SoTN, all is well in Iga's hands it's just not called "Castlevania".

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I have so much nostalgia for this series. Awesome games with fantastic art design and music.

Really hard to choose a single favorite among all of the entries, although Circle of the Moon is underrated imo. I rarely see anyone bring it up when discussing Castlevania.

aurvM7l.jpg

Soundtrack is amazing. The instrumentation is incredible for a GBA title, with some of my favorite renditions from the series.

VGEsoterica

My favourite series. I wish Lords of Shadow 2 didn't get all the hate, it pretty much killed any chances the series had...
Lords of Shadow 2 was decent...but still I don't know why Konami refuses to give the fans a new 2D entry when thats what they ask for

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I always remember that we were in the bowling alley talking about Castlevania 2 and how we were stuck, and the guy bowling against us told us to take the crystal and kneel by the dead end. We couldn't wait to get home ad try it. Blew our minds when it worked.

SpiceRacz

I have so much nostalgia for this series. Awesome games with fantastic art design and music.

Really hard to choose a single favorite among all of the entries, although Circle of the Moon is underrated imo. I rarely see anyone bring it up when discussing Castlevania.

aurvM7l.jpg

Soundtrack is amazing. The instrumentation is incredible for a GBA title, with some of my favorite renditions from the series.

Agreed. It beats the hell out of Harmony, that's for sure. The castle layout in that game is fucking terrible compared to Circle.

VGEsoterica

Castlevania 3 was my first. I was like 7 and never could get past the clock tower level. Fucking Medusa heads always shit on me. I love that game and it still has probably my favorite opening scene in video games. Just iconic

KH2l3sQ.gif
the clocktower is always the "because F you thats why" section of any non-Metroidvania

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Last decent Castlevania game was Lords of Shadow. Probably the best the series has ever been.

Would love a remake of that game, or a reboot in the same style.

The Silverlord

Neo Member
Can still remember buying the original in a UK Boots store of all places and firing it up on the NES. Magical stuff. Then later pouring over every morsel from a Club Nintendo zine for the sequel, Simon's Quest. A different age.

Favourites are SCIV and Aria of Sorrow. Also love Belmont's Revenge for it's phenomenal soundtrack.

What a deep shame this series has been left to ruin.

ssringo

I was there for the start as well. Parents werent too well off so I borrowed NES games from my uncle all the time and Castlevania 1 & 2 were among them. Castlevania 3 was the first one I owned myself though. The 3d games never really did it for me although Lord of Shadows is decent.

As for my favorites it'd have to be Castlevania 3 for the classic style and either Portrait of Ruin or Order of Ecclesia for the metroidvania style. PoR just tickles me with the voices. "Jonathon. Charlotte. Jonathan. Charlotte." And, thanks to the 3DS' amazing speakers, the first time I heard Charlotte saying "Gale Force" I misheard it as "day old fart". Can't unhear it now. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I'm very much looking forward to Konami suddenly and silently releasing ports of the (3)DS games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wait are you saying Lords of Shadow is the best Castlevania game of all time??

In my opinion, yes. I know it's not a very popular opinion, but I preferred to all other games in the series, including Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood.

Even if you think Lords of Shadow isn't the best, surly you must agree it's in the top 5, right?

amigastar

I remember when the first came out in NA.

3 is still the best original style imo.
SOTN for Metroid style.
Which one is 3, the one on the Snes? Or (I've looked it up) do you mean Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse on the NES?
Anyways, i've played and finished SOTN on an Emu, it was really something.

Last edited:

ssringo

Even if you think Lords of Shadow isn't the best, surly you must agree it's in the top 5, right?
Dunno if this was to VGEsoterica or in general but...

There's like 2 dozen games in the franchise. You could do a top 5 list and not even not even change the style of game (classic, metroidvania, 3d) if one clicked with you more than another.

Honestly, I have positive feelings about most of the games.

NT80

I first played CV1 at a friend's house when one of his friends brought it round. I really liked everything about it especially the gothic adventurous atmosphere. I begged for a swap. Liked the series ever since but wasn't so keen on CV2 or SOTN initially. I grew to like SOTN much more when I went back to it many years back but the challenge and bosses are really lacking compared to later games.

In terms of overlooked CV's CV Rebirth is really underrated. I think it's one of the best in the series and doesn't deserve to be condemned to obscurity on the Wii shop. The Rondo of Blood remake on PSP has the best boss battle in the series imo in the fight with Dracula's secret 3rd form. That was a really great addition.

lachesis

My first Castlevania was MSX2 ver. I think I played it on 1987 (was released in 1986 - I didn't have money to buy Mega Rom cartridges back then with my puny allowances, I had to trade my existing cartridges)
I remember looking at this ad quote "I bought MSX2 for this game".. and in my young mind, I was so excited and thought this game must be so dope!
While MSX2 version was somewhat different - but it was pretty interesting one to boot. Never got to finish it though, and moved onto other games.

NES versions - I played it a bit here and there, but never finished. 1st Castlevania that I finished from beginning to end was the Super Castlevania. OG Castlevania's ridged jumping schematic isn't my favorite.. but I warmed upto it a bit later on. Still, I vastly prefer later Igavania's more liberal jumps. :)

I do have the 3d Castlevanias on the steam library - hope Konami will wake up (or sell their ip to willing ones) and hope the franchise would continue....

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
i had NES but those early games never clicked with me for whatever reason. The Castlevania games that clicked with me that i played the most of, are the ones ppl don't like lol.

Bloodlines is one hell of a game. I still haven’t beaten it because it’s so good, I don’t want to spam the savestate function on emulators. Maybe I will when I get to the final battle, but until then, I want to beat it legit.

the clocktower is always the "because F you thats why" section of any non-Metroidvania
Oh, it is even in Metroidvanias. So much fun with the harpies, the Medusa heads and the spinning gears…

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I think everyone likes Bloodlines now. In the very beginning I think there was some mixed feedback because it wasn't Castlevania IV. Now I think it is considered one of the best Classic Vanias.

Lords of Shadow is more of a mixed reaction, I personally loved it.

kunonabi

I loved Bloodlines from the beginning since it gave me what I was missing from Super CV IV. I could never understand why people slept on it so much.

Luc2010

I loved Bloodlines from the beginning since it gave me what I was missing from Super CV IV. I could never understand why people slept on it so much.
The ones that passed on this were the SNES only peeps. I had both Sega and Super for this very reason. Though, Bloodlines is short when compared to CV iv.

VGEsoterica

The ones that passed on this were the SNES only peeps. I had both Sega and Super for this very reason. Though, Bloodlines is short when compared to CV iv.
Bloodlines has the most ruthless boss gauntlet end game. I love it but damn it’s hard

kunonabi

CV IV is longer but it doesn't really become much of a game until you get to the castle. Everything before that is way too easy to be worthwhile. Bloodlines is lean and mean.

VGEsoterica

CV IV is longer but it doesn't really become much of a game until you get to the castle. Everything before that is way too easy to be worthwhile. Bloodlines is lean and mean.
They feel so different it’s hard to compare the two. The biggest similarity is the fact they are in the same franchise imo

Rykan

I'm actually not a big fan of the first Castlevania. I like the settings, but the controls feel so stiff compared to other 2D platformers of the time, though I understand that the game was designed with this in mind. Castlevanias that came after that have been great.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never played #1, but I played #2 by renting it from a video store and thought it was awesome. Oddly hard too with the nighttime scenes. Looking back, not sure why I never ended up buying it. I'll assume it was difficult so I bailed.

Top Bottom