• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CASTLEVANIA: NOCTURNE, new Netflix show announced

KBii

Banned
I don't know much about the new writers, but I can't say I'll miss seeing beloved Castlevania characters play out Ellis's femdom and emasculation fetishes on TV.
So much of Ellis' writing was just not for me. I dunno what you'd call it, but the humor was just too "millennial" or "whedon-esque"? I guess with the smarmy comments and juvenile humor. And so much of the dialogue (Carmilla dropping "man-child") just felt too modern-day.

Which fan favorite character is getting pegged in this one?
Ugh, that was the worst. I don't mind Alucard being Bi or whatever, but being portrayed as such a subby wimp by two no-name characters was just such an insult to a beloved figure. Season 3 was such a shitshow not just because of that, but that whole Alucard plotline was so awful because Ellis and the other writers tried to be GoT with multiple plot-lines and fubar'd it completely. S4 barely could tie them all up (and Alucard's entire experience in S3 was basically.....forgotten, or nothing came of it at all)

Last edited:

Pejo

I only watched the first season and I was just thinking the other day that I should just binge watch the rest. I'll pass on that now. Thanks.
S1 and S2 were both enjoyable. S3 and beyond...nah.
So much of Ellis' writing was just not for me. I dunno what you'd call it, but the humor was just too "millennial" or "whedon-esque"? I guess with the smarmy comments and juvenile humor. And so much of the dialogue (Carmilla dropping "man-child") just felt too modern-day.
I agree. The overall story was really good and dark and compelling for the first two seasons, but the wink & nod jokes and Sypha with this eyeroll attitude towards Trevor at all times got really old. I would love for some sort of story to actually take itself seriously again, it feels like it's been years since we had something like that. Not that there can't be funny moments or whatever, but at least have the characters interact like real people with each other instead of "UGH I'm so tired of all these hellspawn, they're so SUS. Trevor, can you like NOT simp that vampire, fr fr."
Ugh, that was the worst. I don't mind Alucard being Bi or whatever, but being portrayed as such a subby wimp by two no-name characters was just such an insult to a beloved figure. Season 3 was such a shitshow not just because of that, but that whole Alucard plotline was so awful because Ellis and the other writers tried to be GoT with multiple plot-lines and fubar'd it completely. S4 barely could tie them all up (and Alucard's entire experience in S3 was basically.....forgotten, or nothing came of it at all)
It just wasn't necessary. I never wondered what Alucard's sexual preferences were, nor did I ever care to see it acted out on Netflix. His whole thing was with his mother and father, inner turmoil, siding with humanity, and kicking asses. That's where they should have left it. I would have still hated it if it was just him doing this to some hot succubus:
Christian Bale GIF

It's like an Overwatch move where, "look, everyone's GAY now!" just to appease a certain vocal twitter crowd.

Hudo

I miss when we used to get new Castlevania games instead of TV shows.
Me too. But I am not sure if Konami has people there who could make a new one. And I am also not sure who I'd outsource a new Castlevania to.

Too many people are still blinded /upset about Alucard’s tiny S3 arc that they forget about the best parts and moments of season 3. Isaac’s storyline, the multi dimensional scenes, the Dracula resurrection attempt, and the really dark plot twist with the Judge.

KBii

Banned
S1 and S2 were both enjoyable. S3 and beyond...nah.

I agree. The overall story was really good and dark and compelling for the first two seasons, but the wink & nod jokes and Sypha with this eyeroll attitude towards Trevor at all times got really old. I would love for some sort of story to actually take itself seriously again, it feels like it's been years since we had something like that. Not that there can't be funny moments or whatever, but at least have the characters interact like real people with each other instead of "UGH I'm so tired of all these hellspawn, they're so SUS. Trevor, can you like NOT simp that vampire, fr fr."

It just wasn't necessary. I never wondered what Alucard's sexual preferences were, nor did I ever care to see it acted out on Netflix. His whole thing was with his mother and father, inner turmoil, siding with humanity, and kicking asses. That's where they should have left it. I would have still hated it if it was just him doing this to some hot succubus:
Christian Bale GIF

It's like an Overwatch move where, "look, everyone's GAY now!" just to appease a certain vocal twitter crowd.
S1 and S2 iirc were both actually originally written much earlier than S3 and S4 when the project had been made a while before it was given to Netflix. S1 and S2 were adaptations of Castlevania 3: Curse of Darkness. Once they went past that source material, there was nothing else but for them to make up their own stuff in S3 and S4 since they didn't go to Richter's time. After S2 for example Alucard is supposed to begin his long sleep. And yeah, the writing/dialogue became utterly cringe at times. Also didn't care for Ellis changing Sypha to be of a random "not-gypsy" people as opposed to being of the Church as she should be, but Ellis wanted his edgelord Black and White view on the Church being comically evil and not being more morally gray.

Yeah, Alucard was done fairly well up until that point. There was no purpose for any of the scenes in S3 which made them even worse. If there had been some payoff from it then maybe it could be salvaged, but S4 went on as if it'd never happened (even the corpses outside vanished after a point).

radewagon

Was the previous series concluded? I only watched the first season.
Yeah. I know a lot of people have their issues with it, but I think it's worth a watch for fans of the games. For what it's worth, I don't have a big problem with the writing (as many do). I didn't come in expecting much. As a lifelong fan of CV, I can safely say that writing has never been its strong suit. My main issue is that the show just doesn't have enough action. Almost like they had to space out the budget because when there is an actual action scene, it's usually phenomenal.

Top Bottom