• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania SOTN, why they changed the english VA?

GymWolf

So i was in the mood for a metroidvania and what better game to fill the void than the absolute king of metroidvanias?

So i decided to start yet another run with the game because i realized that it was my first time on a big ass oled, so i bought the package with rondo of blood and sotn from the psn in heavy discount just to discover that they completely changed the timeless english VA with a new one that obviously sound much worse.

Even alucard has different sound when he fight, he sound like a boy and not and adult.

Why in the absolute fuck they decided to change the va for a game from like 20 years ago?

They changed everyone, alucard, death, dracula, maria etx., And not only the VA, the script too, dracula and ritcher say different stuff, no more what is a man? A pile of etc.

My question is only one, FUCKING WHY? Did the original va bothered some modern audience or some shit?

P.s. if the only thing you are gonna say is that i mispelled super metroid, you can already gtfo of this topic, cheers:messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

CashPrizes

Yeah the original voice acting is much better, and the script, while very hokey, is at least memorable.

No idea why they changed it. It just cost them more money to do new VO. Maybe they thought all the "what is a man?" memes were people deriding the script.

GymWolf

I think it was during a time when serious dialog or at least (more serious sounding) was trending.
Personally, Ps1 VA was superior.
Not sure how the new script sound more serious than the first one...

It was silly before and it is silly now, but the first one was at least memorable, you have people quoting the "little pile of" still today.

The more annoying thing is that they changed the sounds that alucard makes during combat, they were perfection before but now he sound like a generic boy.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I guess that version is based on mobile SOTN, right? To my knowledge, mobile is based on PSP version and, while having some changes, is a cool update. Just pray that it isn't plagued with the mobile version bugs.

The Skull

Yeah the PS1 version is a classic. There was a fan made game where the original Alucard voice appeared. Think it was the Lecarde Chronicles 2. Was actually pretty good.

Holammer

They improved the translation with the PSP version. It reflects the flowery language of the original Japanese better, but still takes liberties.
Play the fan translated version instead, Norio Wakamoto's Dracula will turn you into a goddamned sexual Weebosaurus, like me.

They should have given an option to use the old dub, but it's possible that rights issues made it easier to just record new ones.

cireza

Banned
They should have removed all VA and even discussions from this game. Always felt ridiculous to me. Castlevania did not need this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never knew they redid the VA. The original VA when I played it on PS1 was great. So campy, but fun. That opening fight where dracula yells "Ahhhhhhhh" is hilarious.

Even better are the parts where there is no VA. When your character's dialogue box pops up and he goes "....."

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Because Konami is a fucking imbecil. Remember Silent Hill 2 HD? Comics Sans is the lesser problem, the original voice acting was great and for the HD version they changed for no reason at all

Even Kojima got some of blood on his hands changing David Hayter just for the sake of Hollywoodism. Stupid bitch...

Wonko_C

When the original SotN was released on PS1, the voice acting was almost universally panned. As time went on most warmed up to it but Konami changed it for the PSP version because they thought it was still being hated on.

Top Bottom