• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Did any other "sequel" change the formula so much as this?

-Zelda-

Banned
Yet another game I want on PS5. Hopefully with the original voices this time. I do not mind the voice acting of the PS4 version, but I miss Robert Belgrade as Alucard.

marquimvfs

Wasn't SMB2 just a reskin of a different game. Not really a Mario game.
That's also my impression. I think that Super Mario Bros. 3 is a better example of changing the formula. But I don't think it's a good example. To me, Super Mario World is a better example.

akimbo009

Gold Member
But more profitable. I think ME1 is the best in the series.

I adore ME1... but going back at it is really clunky. I do wish they moved towards a more refined ME1-like experience for ME2 versus the faux-FPS vibe. That said... I love ME (except the last 20% of ME3 cause... fuck Bioware :) )

The difference between Rayman and Rayman 2 is startling, and I find it strange it's rarely mentioned in these types of threads, because of it wasn't for having the same main character they would be two different games, not just in formula, but in music in level design, and the entire lore and worlds are completely different and have no connection to each other

Rayman 2 may as well have been a reboot, and there's 5 releases of the game that all have differences from each other, some significant.

Then you have Pacman 2 vs. Pacman which is another "sequel" which is very different from the first game. Going from Pacman to a pseudo-point and click adventure game with a sling shot with large characters and an int7eractive world was crazy.

MLSabre

Star Fox Adventure, which was Rare's Dinosaur Planet before it was reskinned.

Essentially a Zelda-fied Star Fox, contrary to the previous on rails-shooter entries beforehand. Seems to rubbed fans of Star Fox the wrong way.

Top Bottom