• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Arcade, the rarest Castlevania of all time until now

VGEsoterica

The Castlevania franchise is older than many people on Gaf I would assume and it has a long and storied release history from the NES original through to the Metroidvania years with Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS games...into the modern era with the shaky but still charming Mercury Steam titles. But what about Castlevania in arcades?

Haunted Castle exists and well...its an interesting game. It's not the worst arcade game I've ever played...but its hovering near to the bottom! But there is another Castlevania arcade game that exists...one that is so exceedingly rare there are only a few arcade cabinets left in the world and playing it is basically impossible unless you get on a plane and fly to Japan (or live there...that would be more convenient)

Until today that is. Hope people love them some Castlevania. Still some control issues to work out but otherwise the rarest of the rare is now extremely common.

But GAF...what is your fav Castlevania game? and your coveted rare game that is impossible to find?

lol not really up to me
giphy.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
5-CF28-DC6-074-F-41-BC-B7-F4-E34-F35-F767422022-06-25-17-37-46-094.jpg
Galloping Ghost has Castlevania. I played it and it was a lot of fun. There needed to be some troubleshooting with the aiming (think back to the Guncon and how your shots were off if it wasn’t calibrated). I enjoyed the game even if I was aiming off to the side. They also had a Silent Hill 2 Arcade machine, but it wasn’t working when I was there.

My personal favorite is SotN. Order of Ecclesia , Aria of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin are also top picks.

Agent X

I've never heard of this until now It's very interesting...a first-person Castlevania with motion-controlled whipping!

VGEsoterica

I've never heard of this until now It's very interesting...a first-person Castlevania with motion-controlled whipping!
its a ton of fun and its dummy rare. Like about as rare as it gets outside of games that never released and just exists as builds. Till today that is!

kunonabi

It has an amazing soundtrack:

Top Castlevania games for me:

1. Castlevania 64
2. Castlevania III
3. Castlevania (NES)

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

I've played a lot of Castlevania over the years, but Castlevania: The Arcade is the one elusive game I've always wanted to play and experience in the arcades.
A PC experience won't be the same, but I'll take it.a

PayoLoko

Aaah here we hace one of the biggest arcade places witha lot of old school machines and they have this one but It doesnt worked when i visited them... Pity

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never knew it exited and taking a skim of the video and seeing arms flailing, it sure makes sense. That was prime time Wii waggling.

From wiki:

The game was announced on July 23, 2008.[4] The game was released in Japan on October 2, 2009.[2] A European release was announced for 2009 but only appeared at test locations in 2008.[5]

There was a pretty good SotN puzzle game WAY back on the app store, I think i had it on a 2nd generation iPod touch. It was kinda like puzzle fighter and hard as a motherfucker. I don't think I've ever run into anybody else that played it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is really cool. Hope it gets to the point of being able to be played fully for preservation sake.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
as for me SOTN, Bloodlines and SCIV are my favorites in that exact order. Rondo is great for the art direction, story, atmosphere and music but the gameplay is lacking in comparison to SCIV and Bloodlines. It's about as basic as Castlevania 1.

Last edited:

Esca

First one on the nes. I received it with my nes and other games for Christmas, my dad had specifically picked it out thinking I'd like fighting the Skeltons and other creatures to get Dracula.

Come to think of it my parents picked out tons of what we considered the classics for that gen, amazing to think of considering they weren't into video games outside of the arcade stuff, more so pinball (man I want a full size one someday).

as for me SOTN, Bloodlines and SCIV are my favorites in that exact order. Rondo is great for the art direction, story, atmosphere and music but the gameplay is lacking in comparison to SCIV and Bloodlines. It's about as basic as Castlevania 1.

Rondo is the most evolved. Secret pathways, enemies with varied attack sets.

SCV4 was the most basic, and one of the easiest because the multidirectional whip was so busted.

As for favorites, Rondo, Akumajou Densetsu/CV3, and Aria of Sorrow.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

SCV4 was the most basic, and one of the easiest because the multidirectional whip was so busted.

The entire Rondo formula was just perfect. Secrets, alt paths, Maria, etc.

I can find no fault with rondo outside of the fact it ends

MrA

Banned

why everbody forgetting about Castlevania adventure rebirth, oh right its trapped on wiiware

kunonabi

The entire Rondo formula was just perfect. Secrets, alt paths, Maria, etc.

I can find no fault with rondo outside of the fact it ends
It's easy and the anime cutscenes are embarrassing. I love anime cutscenes as much as the next guy but they did not work for Rondo.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will make a controversial choice and choose castlevania 2. As my brother and i played a bunch of it and talked about it at the bowling alley for weeks after it’s release.

Top Bottom