• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania vibes in Elden Ring?

clem84

Gold Member
Doesn't Elden Ring remind anyone else of where Castlevania should have went with its 3D games? In terms of the type of art direction they have (goth horror), the 'Souls' and CV franchises are a good match. Imagine the next CV being similar to Elden Ring. Gigantic open world, loads of RPG elements, HUGE bosses, very high difficulty... It would be the best damn thing ever.

Maybe Konami should hire Miyazaki for one game, and see afterwards.

sxHwTjC.jpg

slade

A number of Japanese games have shown what Castlevania could be like in 3d. I think Capcom's Devil May Cry was the first 3d title to draw those comparisons. There is even the 3d Castlevanias by MercurySteam that were pretty good. It's too bad that the the person heading the Castlevania franchise at Konami, Iga, was reportedly never all that good at envisioning the games in 3d.

RafterXL

Elden Ring is basically every one of their Souls games in a single package. One area is straight out of DS2 the next minute you're moving through a Bloodbourne area. An hour later you're getting huge Sekiro vibes. It's just giant love letter to From fans. Everything from the graphics to the mechanics are a mix of everything that has come before.

I’ve been getting mostly Dark Souls 2 and Demon’s Souls vibes from it so far. Both aesthetically and structurally as those two games let you tackle things in a branching path manner that wasn’t necessarily linear or metroidvania either.

Last edited:

FingerBang

A number of Japanese games have shown what Castlevania could be like in 3d. I think Capcom's Devil May Cry was the first 3d title to draw those comparisons. There is even the 3d Castlevanias by MercurySteam that were pretty good. It's too bad that the the person heading the Castlevania franchise at Konami, Iga, was reportedly never all that good at envisioning the games in 3d.
The first one is the best 3D Castlevania ever made. Too bad they lost their way with the second chapter, it could have been great.

Doesn't Elden Ring remind anyone else of where Castlevania should have went with its 3D games? In terms of the type of art direction they have (goth horror), the 'Souls' and CV franchises are a good match. Imagine the next CV being similar to Elden Ring. Gigantic open world, loads of RPG elements, HUGE bosses, very high difficulty... It would be the best damn thing ever.

sxHwTjC.jpg
I bet it will happen if Sony buys Konami.

Rickyiez

Dark Souls plays more like a 3D castlevania than Lord of Shadow.

DS has respawning enemies, end of area bosses, interconnected area unlocked with shortcuts, varieties of upgradeable weapons (akin to CV abilities) . Basically most of the Castlevania characteristics. LOS is basically just God of War with Castlevania skin.

I felt the same way i did playing SOTN while playing ER. The sense of discovery and incremental additions to you armory are rooted in the same formula. I actually thought this same thing to myself while playing.

daveonezero

Banned
The cool thing about this game is it is almost a sandbox. You can pick any fanstasu character and create it.
Want to be Alucard with a long sword who drinks blood and regenerates? Go for it.

A whip weakling Belmont that does holy damage? Yep.

A speaker who cast spells. That too.

Knightime_X

Not realy.
I never met a bird in castlevania that can take away nearly your health, unlike in Elden Ring.
A bird....

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
yeah unfortunately I feel like you can pretty much brute force your way through this game, so Im starting to lose interest and might not even finish it. I'm taking my time exploring every nook and cranny but as a result I feel like I'm over leveled and can just brute force my way through every boss. it's a better game than sekiro, but otherwise for me the weakest of the souls games for this reason

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I feel like there's a lot of homages in Elden Ring with the tarnished characters and some demi gods, some being towards Castlevania. 'D' seems to have some allusions to Vampire Hunter D, including his inner turmoil being pulled between two worlds - human and vampire - in his case the duality of him and his "twin". Gideon, I think his name is, he seems to be like the Belmont's from Castlevania (edit: whoever the character is that stands up for the jar people). Radahn seems to be influenced by Ganon from The Legend of Zelda - not just in appearance and bestial ferocity but also him being a deceptively mega-powerful magic wielder.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

sxHwTjC.jpg

Dumb Konami.

Lost their chance.

Belthazar

Dark Souls' first half is the only one to actually fit that role of an almost perfect translation of the Castlevania formula to 3D. But not only it falls on its face in the latter half but the subsequent games never reached that quality in level design again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom