• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt believes Cyberpunk ‘will be considered a very good game in the long run’

Yoda

Story-wise, it's already above most of what's out there. The problem is the game-world, even w/o technical issues (I played on a beefy PC), just isn't up to the standards people expect out of CDPR. Once you're doing anything that isn't a main story quest or "main" side quest, the sandbox feels like PS2 level GTA. The cops don't work, the NPCs behave in bizarre ways, the driving is stiff, there's limited verticality despite that being heavily shown in the trailers, etc... If they fixed all the obvious bugs, the game STILL needs extra content and refinement to bring it into the tier of W3. From an economic PoV, it only makes so much sense to pour resources into CP2077 at this point, and given how easily they discarded their reputation for Christmas sales, I suspect the greed will get the better of them in this case as well.

It already is one of the best games of the last 10 years, its amazing how many plebs cyberpunk has filtered. (i am talking about the pc game)
It's not even on par with The Witcher 3. This game could be polished to perfection and still be very disappointing. The core framework of the game has problems and many RPGs and open-world games of the past easily surpass it in that regard.

Great Hair

Banned
Charge full price for broken product
Fix it over the next 5 years
Bath in all the bodily love from the fanatics
iu

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Interesting. I hope they are right. I never ever want any game to be a failure or mediocre; even games I feel burned by. Good games on any system by any company are good for all gamers. I won't ever get hyped or hopeful though. Cautious skepticism is my eternal running mode from now on.

But my problem with the game wasn't really technical. I just wanted more rpg diversity, more customization, more story decision impacts, and feeling connected to the story and characters. I just didn't get that like I did with Witcher 3. I don't see the game becoming that for me. Maybe, but I don't feel confident.

Banned
well all I can say is that I started playing it recently on PC... looks really nice, runs fine on my RTX3060ti with RT reflections on... BUT i had so many bugs it's crazy.

so first my car was stuck IN THE AIR... after I did that thing where you get your implants... so I could not use my own car, yay!
and then when you have to do that car ride the game crashed every time at the same sport during said car ride. turns out, the only way to fix this known bug is to reinstall the game completely!
before googling for a solution I tried playing trough it again twice, then I tried verifying the files... and after both of these resulted in the same crash still, i found someone in a forum having the same bug and basically confirming nothing but a reinstall helps, and sure enough it worked after the reinstall -_-

eNT1TY

It's a decent game on PC at best. There is fun to be had and some cool shit to see but it is pretty barebones gameplay-wise. For it to be considered great it would need way more environmental interaction, a complete AI overhaul, meaningful and impactful choices and a fundamental change to the way skills work. The skill trees are redundant in fuction despite seeming vast and diverse; you can allocate points to several different abilities and passives in various configurations and the results in combat are the same. Your crit numbers are bigger, or you bullet-time around better, or you jump higher run faster and melee harder. Those 5 things are the ONLY outcome of like 100 different skill nodes spanning several paths, oh and hacking shit. Despite these mere 5 ways one can improve the player character to approach combat you only really need one, and that's crit to one shot mofos like Johnson and Johnson. Fall damage will kill you more often than any enemy. You don't even need vehicles as fast travel hubs are scattered all over the place sometimes within sight of each other. Just bike around to reveal more of the map and then you are better off on foot. All efforts went into building an awesome playground but the forgot to put in the toys/games. The art team top notch in every way, so wasted.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Probably ... but is that really something to be proud of?

they will never live this down TBH. They may be a great developer and release tons of good games in the long run but people will be making jokes about this forever.
First and last game I've ever preordered. I was so hyped for this game I even bought the complete official guide collectors edition, to learn about the lore and different factions.

tGxELjd.jpg

Buggy Loop

It’s quite decent on PC, but there’s so much work to do on physics, AI, world persistence, crafting/skills to live up to what peoples expected, I don’t think they’ll ever do enough to change the perception of it.

The game in itself isn't "very good" but above average, let alone the technical clusterfuck. Was promised an RPG and got an action/adventure game with way reduced scope from the source material, and Silverhand was a huge letdown in writing.

The only redeeming factor is the eyecandy, and that I accept, but after literally 3 months after being fucked at launch. I'm talking PC btw, without rtx. Night City driving is good looking, and with rtx on, one of the best looking games on PC, but thats's about it.

These next gen versions are going to be fubar again, and I will be surprised if they are not, at launch.

Hinedorf

Banned
It'll never be a "very good" game by any standard of today nor is there any future redemption. No matter if they fixed every bug in this game the reality is, visually it's above average, story is average, gameplay/mechanics are completely average

Most everything about this game is something that's already been done in the last 10 years, the only thing unique was the concept and no matter how much they fix the bugs the concept is nothing more than a surface-level appearance and beyond that something we've seen done better many times before.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
First and last game I've ever preordered. I was so hyped for this game I even bought the complete official guide collectors edition, to learn about the lore and different factions.

tGxELjd.jpg
Well at least you didn't totally waste your time. A lot of the lore is based off the tabletop and tbh, it has all kinds of great rules, mechanics, and lore. Someone could definitely make a cyberpunk themed game in the future that's more to your liking.

Lightjolly

Neo Member
Charge full price for broken product
Fix it over the next 5 years
Bath in all the bodily love from the fanatics
iu

This is the way the AAA industry is heading spearheaded by this guy.

Overhype game, charge people over $60 for Alpha/Beta test then fix game over a course of 5 years, get praised for their "dedication" (Delivering the game they marketed in start")

Well I guess it's still better than Fucking Anthem which wasn't even made when they showed that trailer, how many people were scammed into preordering that game I wonder.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
They got to release some Lord of the Rings Extended edition DLC to fix this mess besides the bugs.

1. Actually have the origin have length and substance. Different variety and reactions if you choose corpo, city, and nomad. Make it like Dragon Age Origins, integral.
2. Have animations of installing the cyberware and unique dialogue rather than using a lazy menu, you don't feel the immersion of seeing numbers go up, there is no weight behind the enhancements, like you are seeing less of your flesh and slowly being replaced by machine parts like Darth Vader, stripping more of your humanity or something.
3. Most of the shops that stay open have their doors shut and you cannot purchase from them.
4. There's no first-person stripper show like in GTA V.
5. There's no third-person toggle like GTA V.
6. There's no verticality in the game, like wall-running or abundant of snipers.
7. Not much variety in ads, feels very limited.
8. The water in this game sucks and lacks exploring underwater for unique shit.

So many things game design-wise preventing this game from becoming any better. I doubt they will be able to do a 180 and revive this game like No Man's Sky.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This game’s time has come and gone. Wish they would move on. At this rate we won’t see CDPR again until the end of this gen.

Nobody cares about cyberpunk anymore. Take your bad press on the chin and just don’t let it happen again.

Tschumi

I already think it's a great game, wrote a thread to say as much, any positive changes they make will be gravy. I wish the directors who made it FPS and took out the transport system etc etc never existed though

It's not even on par with The Witcher 3. This game could be polished to perfection and still be very disappointing. The core framework of the game has problems and many RPGs and open-world games of the past easily surpass it in that regard.
I hated the Witcher 3, found it to be boring af, played it for 5 hours and never returned to it.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Nar it's fucked forever. It hasn't been fixed quick enough. People have moved on to different games by now and it will always be remembered for how it was at launch. It's not just the bugs either, the actual game just isn't anything special and no amount of fixing can help it. A sequel has potential if it buds on the first game.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What are they going to do to make it less boring? The glitches weren't even a big deal in the hours I put in. It just got really old really fast, and nothing was as fun as it could or should have been. To become a good game, it needs many mechanic tweaks, a lot more world flavor content, and some story arcs that aren't boring as fuck.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don’t think you have really played the game if you think the character customization/upgrade is poor. It has the most options of any rpg in years.

giphy.webp
And yet I couldn't come up with an interesting character and all the hairstyles were shitty. It needs a LOT more character customization content and more styles.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been enjoying it on PC last week or so. Look great runs great, no huge bugs (had a few crashes when I used my otherwise stable OC 3060). It’s no Witcher 3 but its getting there. Really sucks about the butchered console ports, hope next gen patch helps.

Rivet

The game is already good on PC at least, but we were expecting something amazing.

The game was good on PS5 / XSX too, performance was actually ok. There's a legend now that the game was great on PC and bad elsewhere, but no, the main problems are the same in every version...

Choices and life paths didn't really matter, the open world was mostly empty and didn't bring anything to the game, gameplay was very basic, weapons weren't balanced and the inventory was really bad with tons of useless loot... None of those defaults are fixed in the PC version. Well, you can change a few things in mods I guess, but it won't make it a great RPG anyway...

I think the story and the characters were fine though. I thought it was a good mostly linear adventure game, but a bad RPG.

It was just left unfinished, with the open world barely filled with anything interesting. Clearly a case of upper management forcing the game to be released too soon. Or you could say a case of irrealistic scope and ambitions. You can feel the game could have been a gem with a few more years in the oven. It lacked depth. And they promised so much they didn't actually do...

As a RPG, Witcher 3 is superior in every way obviously.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I thought it was good on PC even with the bugs.
The last gen console version should have got canned though. Should have always been a pc/next gen game.

WitchHunter

seemingly the sales are rising again, so I think the drama is taking place in an echo chamber

nocares.gif

let's wait out how the court rules... and prepare for a stock buying spree

Warablo

Its decent on PC, just wanted more from it. I am kinda shocked how little it has been updated all this time. No idea what is going on with that studio.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
No one cares about Cyberpunk anymore. Move on. The games major flaws are at the core of the design, so beyond addressing bugs and adding new content, there's really no 'fixing' it per se. CDPR aren't even calling it an RPG anymore, they call it an "open-world, action-adventure story." Fucking gross.

Save us Todd.

I bought it on sale for $10 on PS4. I gave it a shot with a completely open mind. I looked past the Sonic '06 long load times. I looked past the minor graphical glitches. After about 5-6 hours of stiff gameplay, the camera going inside my character's mouth, disappearing guns, audio cutting out, and a script that was trying wayyyy too hard to be "super cool for the young crowd," I gave up. Deleted all 108gb off my PS4. Yes, 108 GIGABYTES. Complete embarrassment.

I'm sure they set off to make a great game, but even if they No Man's Sky it, I'll need a complete overhaul to come back.

Last edited:

Kabelly

Honestly, it's just sad. It really is a golden turd. If it wasn't teased so early (heard the first trailer was basically recruitment still) they wouldn't have felt so pressured by time.

But they did get cocky with the Rockstar claims. Rockstar's attention to detail is unmatched by ANYONE imo. They just have the funds and the experience. And besides the character that controls like he's got ankle weights, RDR2 is just astonishing to look at. One of the only games I didn't really like controlling but I couldn't resist seeing the world.

Everything about CP2077 release just seemed SO unpolished I would not put my self through that.

hlm666

seemingly the sales are rising again, so I think the drama is taking place in an echo chamber

nocares.gif

let's wait out how the court rules... and prepare for a stock buying spree
and those people seem happy with what they got. /shrug

"Attached to Sasko's tweet is a screen capture of Cyberpunk 2077's Steam page, showcasing some of the game profile's information. Most notably, Cyberpunk 2077's "Recent" reviews from players on Steam are highlighted as 83% positive, which fits into Steam's "Very Positive" labeling. It's no small amount of reviews, either. 11,958 reviews were submitted within the timeframe to be considered recent."

Top Bottom