• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt dismisses rumours that Sony may be acquiring it

BootsLoader

Banned
“We want to remain independent. We have, I believe an excellent strategy. Not easy to execute, for sure, but it’s very exciting to follow our own path. So it’s a pure rumour.”
I am not going to talk about the Sony - CDPR acquisition right now. I am talking generally.
The same exact thing was said from Ninja Theory executives. They wanted to be free and follow their path and other bullshit like that, then....
I am very curious to see what will happen if they strategy don't work, will they have the balls to shut down the company or will they sell themselves like little sluts?

reksveks

I am very curious to see what will happen if they strategy don't work, will they have the balls to shut down the company or will they sell themselves like little sluts?
You understand that not taking an offer and instead shutting down would probably be something that they (CDPR's board) could be sued for.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
You understand that not taking an offer and instead shutting down would probably be something that they (CDPR's board) could be sued for.
CEO is the one who has to think about that, not me. Don't talk bold if you can't support it later (for any reason, personal or politic reason).

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Lies No GIF

DarthPutin

But they could be making gaas witcher and gaas cyberpunk at sony
No need to fantasize, CDPR wanted to have something like Cyberpunk ONLINE, which would be GAAS (GAAS doesn't have to mean a shooter). They killed it (for now) because main game was a mess in need of updates.

I'd bet they will try with Witcher after they got new game out, which only makes sense. I don't play MP usually, but if there was some version of Witcher Online, I'd be probably playing that right now.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Well, that's disappointing.
Really? It is disappointing to you that a company that makes great games is not being bought by another company who would restrict access to those games to only one platform. This level of ridiculous selfishness is insane, but with MS and Bethesda I can see the motivation.

CD Project Red is the only developer that is pushing the limits of tech on PCs. Losing them to a fucking console owner would be terrible for the industry. Cyberpunk is the Crysis of this era and I expect the next Witcher to carry that torch. If Sony inked a console exclusive deal with them I wouldn't care, just as long as they continue to make games on PC as the primary platform and they continue to push the envelope.

There's nothing to ruin more when CD Projekt Red already ruined themselves with the disastrous launch of CP2077.
It was only a disaster on last gen hardware. Would you rather have high tech games that push the limits, or weak ass games that can run on 7 year old hardware that was weak when it launched? The game was fine on a competent PC at launch and was the only thing that really justified the RTX cards which many people paid a lot of money for at the time. The game was mismanaged for sure, but it was only a disaster on shitty hardware.

Z O N E

I wouldn't be surprised if they do go for them one day though.

Since Sony is trying to make games in every genre, the one they're lacking in is WRPG and since MS has Bethesda and Obsidian which are the main players in that genre, it "would" make sense to go for CD Projeckt.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I remember when we used to dream about what game might get announced...Now it's who might buy who.

Keep dreaming I guess.

It was only a disaster on last gen hardware. Would you rather have high tech games that push the limits, or weak ass games that can run on 7 year old hardware that was weak when it launched? The game was fine on a competent PC at launch and was the only thing that really justified the RTX cards which many people paid a lot of money for at the time. The game was mismanaged for sure, but it was only a disaster on shitty hardware.
Yeah, but I wasn't referring exclusively to the performance, of course. I was also referring to lackluster content, bugs and broken promises.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I take this as confirmation it’s happening.

Last edited:

Popup

It's just refreshing to see someone reply and quash these stupid rumours instead of letting them fester.

It's always amazing to me that in this day and age, with it being so easy to communicate, there is still so much misinformation and lack of productive communication happening.

Last edited:
I take this as confirmation it’s happening.
CDP are a public company and if it was happening then they wouldn't have came out and denied it. You don't fuck about with shit like that. No leaks, no confirming or denying it, etc until it's officially announced to the stock market.

It's not happening.

I wouldn't make sense, they've been doing good by themselves, even despite the disastrous launch of CP.
Cyberpunk was a mess but it's in a good state now. It could be better and will get better.

CDP are the biggest they've ever been. They've significantly expanded their studios and are working on multiple games. Witcher 3 was only 8 years ago which is a long time ago but at the same time it's still really not that long. They are doing well and if they learn their lesson with Cyberpunk then they could get so much bigger in the next 10 years or so. They already have great games that people love, they are their own publisher in certain markets, and they have their own store. If things go well for them they could end up as big as the likes of EA, TakeTwo, Activision, etc. Of course I'm talking on a timeline of like 10-20 or more years. A lot could go wrong but there is still huge potential for them. It could get to the point, or may already be there, that they are too big for some companies to come in and buy them out. They might start buying companies themselves.

Cyborg

What would Sony actually be buying? What IPs do they own (outside of Cyberpunk)? I think The Witcher games are licensed so the IP is not theirs. So Sony would buy some devs (who could leave) and gambling on the games that are currently in development?

Let's not forget how the c-lvl of this company lied to all of us on their last game. And also the state that the game was released. There are more than enough better candidates.

Disastrous 20mln+ copies sold and mostry fixed all technical issues, they are more than fine
Other disastrous launch games also were sold quite well on the belief that the company would be good (ie. past good games) so that doesn't really count. Yeah, most technical issues have been fixed but the lack of content and broken promises are still apparent.

Top Bottom