• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red announces that Cyberpunk 2077's next-gen upgrade is coming Q1 2022

DonF

No problem. Got the ps4 version for $15 so it's not like I lost a ton of cash. I'll wait until it's kinda playable.

for pc players, would this “nex gen” version be in any way better than the current version?
No, the PC version has actually a higher chance staying the best looking version, mostly because it uses hardware RT compared to software RT on consoles. The "next gen" version we're most likely getting on PC is one where all the bugs and glitches are fixed.

NoviDon

They are making a next gen build that will take advantage of the horsepower of the Series X and PS5, its not just a quick and lazy upgrade that unlocks the framerate and resolution. In the usual "upgrade", it isn't optimised and the assets aren't tweaked to run and looked the best it can on that system . Thats why it will take longer than all of the "next gen upgrades" that get spit out lately. Now, if they fuck this up and its not worth the wait...

crozier

Honestly, they’ve earned back some of that good grace by expending so many resources to get a proper next-gen version of Witcher 3 and CP2077 out. There’s really nothing in it for them aside from clawing back their good name. No money will be made on either port mark my words.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
They are making a next gen build that will take advantage of the horsepower of the Series X and PS5, its not just a quick and lazy upgrade that unlocks the framerate and resolution. In the usual "upgrade", it isn't optimised and the assets aren't tweaked to run and looked the best it can on that system . Thats why it will take longer than all of the "next gen upgrades" that get spit out lately. Now, if they fuck this up and its not worth the wait...
I bet you will be disappointed. CDPR have no credibility after the way they handled this game and it’s marketing.

Last edited:

gow3isben

They already got the crazies in a tizzy over that trans stuff but they were too big and loved to get cancelled. Unfortunately when they couldn’t maintain their quality the crazies pounced and ate them alive. Normal folk were pissed too but crazies escalated the controversy to obscene irreparable levels.

ShadowNate

I don't know why I'm not annoyed by this situation anymore, I am just over it I guess.
That does not mean I'll buy their next title right away or anything, but I'm fine with them taking more time for the upcoming patches and DLCs.
Not okay with completely doing away with the vague timeline though. That needs to be there, even if they end up postponing the milestones again.
Reverting to "When it's done" for a full priced, flagship product is some Star Citizen bullshit.

skit_data

CDP are doing exactly what Hello Games did. Working on updates and staying quiet until they are done.
They didn’t stay quiet earlier this year though:
8iufbyg.jpg

They have, once again, overpromised and underdelivered.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
CD project red should call the guys at Hello Games so they can get some advice on how-to redeem themselves.
I don't think there's any redeeming the last gen ports they wasted a year trying to fix. That's the real trap they set for themselves.

CDPR has always released a ton of post game improvements to their titles, Witcher 1 and 2 changed radically after launch. They're good at that. But these shitty last gen ports have been a black hole sucking up all their development time.

Sentenza

I don't think there's any redeeming the last gen ports they wasted a year trying to fix. That's the real trap they set for themselves.

CDPR has always released a ton of post game improvements to their titles, Witcher 1 and 2 changed radically after launch. They're good at that. But these shitty last gen ports have been a black hole sucking up all their development time.
It's a combination of this and some of their core systems/design decisions being irredeemably bad regardless of how many technical fixes they could nail.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
for pc players, would this “nex gen” version be in any way better than the current version?

I played the game on PC for 100 hours and didn't have anywhere near the horrific experience folks seem to have had with the game, and will absolutely double dip on PS5 if it is able to push 4K/60 and we get some info on what they are going to do with the game going forward. I'm personally hoping for an open-ended CP77 Online where I can just have fun and not be beat down by the emotionally oppressive (but still good) SP narrative.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's a combination of this and some of their core systems/design decisions being irredeemably bad regardless of how many technical fixes they could nail.
I think the systems stuff people complain about would have been fixed by now if not for the bad ports sucking up all their time.

I mean No Man's Sky was WAY worse in terms of half baked systems stuff. You can fix that, and they probably will fix it, but they've been laser focused on all the technical bullshit that they can't start breaking and rethinking the systems stuff yet.

I mean really most of it is just unfinished or half baked AI (and some shortcuts to cover for the half baked AI), not stuff that would require the game to be redesigned.

Last edited:

Denton

They have, once again, overpromised and underdelivered.
They promised patches, of which there were plenty, and nextgen version, about which they said months ago that it might be postponed if deemed necessary by dev teams.

I like how they can't win anymore. Deliver one of the best games ever made and best trilogy, then fuck up launch of your next game, and everything you do after that is wrong by default. Zero benefit of the doubt, ever.

Top Bottom