• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red Explains Why Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Was Scrapped

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Cyberpunk 2077 was supposed to have a multiplayer experience on top of its single-player campaign, but the game's tumultuous launch forced CD Projekt Red to change its priorities.

The Cyberpunk 2077 team understood that its priorities had to change. The single-player experience had to be patched up, and it ultimately came at the cost of multiplayer. Even a year prior to its launch, fans were aware that any multiplayer component of Cyberpunk 2077 would only arrive post-launch, but once the developers shifted their resources to fixing what was there, any research and development projects had to cease.

Though Philip Weber was a senior quest designer at that time, he is now the narrative director for the next Witcher game. In an interview with Eurogamer, Weber finally shed light on CD Projekt Red's decision-making in the months that followed Cyberpunk 2077's release, and what the lessons learned mean for the company's future. Philip Weber candidly mentioned the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 as the main factor that caused CD Projekt Red to pivot. It could not afford the luxury of making expansion packs or developing its multiplayer component – the team had to focus on taking what Cyberpunk 2077 already was, and making that experience the best that it could be.

Adam Kicinski, the president of CD Projekt Red, did not close the door on a Cyberpunk multiplayer game in the future, but also emphasized that the team primarily wanted to build single-player, story-driven, role-playing games. Unwilling to lose its identity, the longterm plan for CD Projekt Red is more about adding online components to its future games and less about pivoting to multiplayer experiences.

Griffon

Shame that, Cyberpunk RP servers would've been awesome.

But now it's pretty obvious it wouldn't have been possible to begin with, CD Projekt wasn't equipped for adding such a project on top of the rest.

Saber

Gold Member
Honestly I don't think it fits the game anyway. I would rather focus on the story aspect, which honestly falls short after the chip stolen quest(downhill from there actually).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly I don't think it fits the game anyway. I would rather focus on the story aspect, which honestly falls short after the chip stolen quest(downhill from there actually).
I dont know I actually start enjoy the story after that, because at that point I thought story mostly gonna similar to GTA but with Cyberpunk setting but seeing V is start to losing his/her own unconscious to an AI was interesting to me.

This is type of story I enjoy in Cyberpunk genre, but that just me.

Saber

Gold Member
I dont know I actually start enjoy the story after that, because at that point I thought story mostly gonna similar to GTA but with Cyberpunk setting but seeing V is start to losing his/her own unconscious to an AI was interesting to me.

This is type of story I enjoy in Cyberpunk genre, but that just me.

Might be just a personnal thing, but the start(specially with the Corpo begining) and the dirty works was the best thing Cyberpunk come up with(maybe the best of all games). Because they totally sold this idea of mercenary work in this city where everyone is constantly doing shit that I really though I would be doing this as a part of main story. The "looking for a way to not die" is boring and tedious at best, with the constant chip malfunction and blood coughting really ruining the mood. This, in my opinion, doesnt sound like it belong in this game at all.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Might be just a personnal thing, but the start(specially with the Corpo begining) and the dirty works was the best thing Cyberpunk come up with(maybe the best of all games). Because they totally sold this idea of mercenary work in this city where everyone is constantly doing shit that I really though I would be doing this as a part of main story. The "looking for a way to not die" is boring and tedious at best, with the constant chip malfunction and blood coughting really ruining the mood. This, in my opinion, doesnt sound like it belong in this game at all.
But its same type story we see in GTA games doing dirty works for other gangs, always give you mission and you do them, honestly I have no interest that type of story anymore.

Top Bottom